Draft Lottery on April 6th, 12 pm est

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
tom_servo said:
I wish this was decided not by lottery, but by Plinko.

I insist, I really hope the whole think would be decided through a dart competition live on TV. You put the GM all together in a pub and you just let the skills and the wrist-eye coordination of those powerful men make the draft order.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Pachoo said:
Anyone know when the actual draft will take place? Sometime in June right?
Yes,June 26(first 3 rounds) and June 27(remaining 6 rounds).

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
Associated Press

April 6, 2004

Today, the NHL released the draft order for the 2004 NHL Entry Draft. In a year where the next "God of Hockey" could be selected #1 overall, many teams were anxious to see where they were slotted. The first overall pick in the 2004 NHL Draft goes to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Craig Patrick, Pittsburgh's General Manager, released this statement minutes ago.

"First off, we would like to thank the people of Raleigh, North Carolina for their hospitality throughout this draft weekend. With the first overall pick in the 2004 Entry Draft, the Pittsburgh Penguins select, from Dynamo Moscow of the Russian Super League, Alexander Ovechkin."

Right after finding out the Penguins had the 1st overall pick, Criag Patrick was seen near Mellon Arena doing this: :banana:

Duster

Feb 20, 2004
pittengineer said:
Associated Press

April 6, 2004

Today, the NHL released the draft order for the 2004 NHL Entry Draft. In a year where the next "God of Hockey" could be selected #1 overall, many teams were anxious to see where they were slotted. The first overall pick in the 2004 NHL Draft goes to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Craig Patrick, Pittsburgh's General Manager, released this statement minutes ago.

"First off, we would like to thank the people of Raleigh, North Carolina for their hospitality throughout this draft weekend. With the first overall pick in the 2004 Entry Draft, the Pittsburgh Penguins select, from Dynamo Moscow of the Russian Super League, Alexander Ovechkin."

Right after finding out the Penguins had the 1st overall pick, Criag Patrick was seen near Mellon Arena doing this: :banana:

Promptly followed by a phone call on his cell from the team's accountant saying they can't afford to sign him unless Lemieux retires and they keep Fleury in the minors... Catch-22 ;)

leafaholix*

This has got to be a very gut wrenching time if you're a die hard fan of the teams that realistically have a shot at Sasha Ovechkin.

I've gone through this once and that was at the 2003 NBA Draft when the Raps fell to 4th.

Good luck... ;)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Round one is by lottery . . . Rounds 2 onward, are they by the order you finish or does your lottery placing run through all the rounds? . . . I would guess that it is by order of finish, lottery only for the round one pick, but am not sure. Does anyone know?

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Leafaholix said:
This has got to be a very gut wrenching time if you're a die hard fan of the teams that realistically have a shot at Sasha Ovechkin.

I've gone through this once and that was at the 2003 NBA Draft when the Raps fell to 4th.

Good luck... ;)

:help:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Jaded-Fan said:
Round one is by lottery . . . Rounds 2 onward, are they by the order you finish or does your lottery placing run through all the rounds? . . . I would guess that it is by order of finish, lottery only for the round one pick, but am not sure. Does anyone know?

The lottery only runs for the first overall pick, Pittsburgh, assuming they get the last(10 out of 10 things need to go Washington's way for it not to), will have the first pick in the rest of the rounds, regardless of the lottery.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
The lottery only runs for the first overall pick, Pittsburgh, assuming they get the last(10 out of 10 things need to go Washington's way for it not to), will have the first pick in the rest of the rounds, regardless of the lottery.

the lottery only effects the first round, but it is not for just the 1st overall pick (necessarily)...all 14 none playoff teams are in the lottery eventhough only the bottom 5 can get the #1. the 6th team can win and jump to #2

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
NYR469 said:
the lottery only effects the first round, but it is not for just the 1st overall pick (necessarily)...all 14 none playoff teams are in the lottery eventhough only the bottom 5 can get the #1. the 6th team can win and jump to #2

I thought as much, and good to know, it means that Pittsburgh (as seems likely as was pointed out, 10 out of 10 things have to fall not their way to lose the pick - pittsburgh would win their remaining 4 points and either Chicago or Washington would lose their final six points) would have a coin flip chance at Ovechkin, if not would recieve Malkin, and could get well quickly with what is basically a lower first round pick with that first second rounder. Hopefully Craig Patrick has done his homework this time.

HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN

Apr 5, 2002
The 49th parallel
Visit site
Its nice to speculate but really, no one is sure what is going to happen until the die is cast (and it comes up with the Hawks number). Are there any of those bottom feeder teams that would perhaps trade away the #1 pick for something (player and a lower pick, lets say).

Maybe Tampa would offer their first, and Fedotenko... ( :joker: )

Sorry, couldn't resist. I actually really like Tampa and hope they win the cup this year.....(really....)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN said:
Its nice to speculate but really, no one is sure what is going to happen until the die is cast (and it comes up with the Hawks number). Are there any of those bottom feeder teams that would perhaps trade away the #1 pick for something (player and a lower pick, lets say).

Maybe Tampa would offer their first, and Fedotenko... ( :joker: )

Sorry, couldn't resist. I actually really like Tampa and hope they win the cup this year.....(really....)

If the Pens end up with number one, from Craig Patrick's comments (you would think that Ovechkin was a bay watch babe the way he was drooling while describing him) I do not think that any offer could pry Ovechkin from his clutches. I know many talk of the Pens finances, but I am guessing a new landscape financially is coming with the new CBA, at minimum rookie and first few year player salaries are going to be very limited, hell even baseball has that. Likely revenue sharing and a salary cap of some sort, so finanaces will not come into it with the Pens. But maybe one of the other teams might not be as enamoured with the Ovoid Chicken.

Last edited:

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN said:
Are there any of those bottom feeder teams that would perhaps trade away the #1 pick for something (player and a lower pick, lets say).

unless teams get totally blown away with an offer i highly doubt that anyone would trade the #1 pick...despite any concerns financially about entry level contracts, transfer fees without a deal with the IIHF, etc the team would draft ovechkin and then just bank on the fact that after the new cba is in place these concerns won't be a problem anymore...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->