Draft Guru's Annual 2004 Mock Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

jt2004

Apr 18, 2004
thestonedkoala said:
And why Picard over Stafford? Stafford is a hometown kid and could work well in Minnesota.

I would take either one but the consensus I get from people is Picard is more of a sniper while Stafford will eventually be a power forward. I prefer a sniper at this point.

thestonedkoala

As I said I'm wary of guys coming out of the Canada (why does everyone think we're going to get another guy from Canada???)...We've had a lot of disappointing players come out of the Canada or not sign them...

Burns (until he was moved back to D)
Bouchard (needs to bulk up but isn't looking promising)
Berzins (didn't even sign him)
Bolduc (top 4 defenseman but a project and playing with Crosby, so his numbers might be skewered)
Melanson (consesus on him is that he won't even make it to the AHL)
Brust (didn't even sign him)
Reitz (hasn't made the jump from the AHL to the NHL and has been in the minors for 3 years now, is a depth defenseman at best)
Wanvig (drafted by two different teams, hopefully he'll jump or else he'll be pushed off the team)
Foy (good pick here but we picked him up out of college but he ended up doing some good in Canada)
Heid (good God...whoever had him labeled as a top 4 needs their eyes worked on. A major project)
Veilleux (made the jump, sucked, made the jump again...good 3rd line checker)
O'Sullivan (Well YAY...he's probably the best CHL player we got)
Kolusz (Ahahah...Yeah...)
Courchaine (Skating...hey Courchaine ever heard of Cavosie...)
Misharin (second or third best player we got)

And then we got Dupuis and Michalek signed out of the CHL.

Out of all those players...O'Sullivan, Misharin, Bolduc, Foy, and Burns (now that he is back on defense) are probably the better ones...

Point in case...Wild should take Canadians later in the rounds not in the first round...

I mean how the hell does Bouchard get almost as many goals as Picard and yet Picard is labeled a sniper?

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
thestonedkoala said:
As I said I'm wary of guys coming out of the Canada (why does everyone think we're going to get another guy from Canada???)...We've had a lot of disappointing players come out of the Canada or not sign them...

Burns (until he was moved back to D)
Bouchard (needs to bulk up but isn't looking promising)
Berzins (didn't even sign him)
Bolduc (top 4 defenseman but a project and playing with Crosby, so his numbers might be skewered)
Melanson (consesus on him is that he won't even make it to the AHL)
Brust (didn't even sign him)
Reitz (hasn't made the jump from the AHL to the NHL and has been in the minors for 3 years now, is a depth defenseman at best)
Wanvig (drafted by two different teams, hopefully he'll jump or else he'll be pushed off the team)
Foy (good pick here but we picked him up out of college but he ended up doing some good in Canada)
Heid (good God...whoever had him labeled as a top 4 needs their eyes worked on. A major project)
Veilleux (made the jump, sucked, made the jump again...good 3rd line checker)
O'Sullivan (Well YAY...he's probably the best CHL player we got)
Kolusz (Ahahah...Yeah...)
Courchaine (Skating...hey Courchaine ever heard of Cavosie...)
Misharin (second or third best player we got)

And then we got Dupuis and Michalek signed out of the CHL.

Out of all those players...O'Sullivan, Misharin, Bolduc, Foy, and Burns (now that he is back on defense) are probably the better ones...

Point in case...Wild should take Canadians later in the rounds not in the first round...

I mean how the hell does Bouchard get almost as many goals as Picard and yet Picard is labeled a sniper?

Extremely flawed logic if you ask me. Bouchard's struggles have about as much to do with being brought in too early and being restricted offensively by Lemaire as it does with drafting.

Also, how many americans have you drafted and developed? Any?

I'll freely admit I like Stafford MORE than Picard myself, but your logic for why the Wild would take Stafford over Picard is way out of whack. You've said repeatedly (see, I read your posts ;) ) that the Wild need offensive studs. Well, Picard is more likely to be an offensive stud than Stafford. He's the more pure offensive talent, and hardly a slouch in most other areas either.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Draft Guru said:
Well, here it is. Took me a pretty long time to make some of these selections. I don't have the time to write commentary for each pick, but if you'd like an explanation, feel free to ask.

1. Washington - Alexander Ovechkin, LW, Dynamo Moscow (Russia)
2. Pittsburgh - Evgeni Malkin, C, Magnitogorsk (Russia)
3. Chicago - Rostislav Olesz, C, HC Vitkovice (Czech Republic)
4. Columbus - Cam Barker, D, Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL)
5. Phoenix - Marek Schwarz, G, Sparta Prague (Czech Republic)
6. Rangers - Andrew Ladd, LW, Calgary Hitmen (WHL)
7. Florida - Lauri Tukonen, RW, Espoo Blues (Finland)
8. Carolina - Robbie Schremp, C, London Knights (OHL)
9. Anaheim - A.J. Thelen, D, Michigan State University (CCHA)
10. Atlanta - Alexander Radulov, RW, Tver (Russia)
11. Los Angeles - Alvaro Montoya, G, University of Michigan (CCHA)
12. Minnesota - Alexandre Picard, LW, Lewiston MAINEiacs (QMJHL)
13. Buffalo - Ladislav Smid, D, Liberec HV (Czech Republic)
14. Edmonton - Wojtek Wolski, LW, Brampton Battalian (OHL)
15. Nashville - Drew Stafford, RW, University of North Dakota (WCHA)
16. Islanders - Andrej Meszaros, D, Trencin (Slovakia)
17. St Louis - Devan Dubnyk, G, Kamloops Blazers (WHL)
18. Montreal - Kyle Chipchura, C, Prince Albert Raiders (WHL)
19. Calgary - Lauri Korpikoski, LW, TPS Turku Jr. (Finland)
20. Dallas - Boris Valabik, D, Kitchener Rangers (OHL)
21. Colorado - Roman Voloshenko, LW, Soviet Wings (Russia)
22. New Jersey - Kirill Lyamin, D, Central Army (Russia)
23. Ottawa - Mike Green, D, Saskatoon (WHL)
24. Rangers - Wes O'Neill, D, Notre Dame (CCHA)
25. Edmonton - Enver Lisin, RW, Saratov (Russia)
26. Vancouver - Petteri Nokelainen, C, SaiPa Lappeenranta (Finland)
27. Washington - Dave Bolland, C, London (OHL)
28. San Jose - Bruce Graham, C, Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL)
29. Washington - Jeff Schultz, D, Calgary (WHL)
30. Tampa Bay - Corey Schneider, G, Andover Academy

Feel free to flame away. :mad:

Very nice mock draft Mr. Guru.

I obviously like the Senators selection. Not only is Green probably the BPA at that spot, but he fills a real need in the organization, a good young defence prospect. With Gleason dealt and Volchenkov graduated, there's little left on defence in terms of prospects, with all of the top prospects being goaltenders or forwards. Green's a safe pick, who could have some hidden upside.

As for the rest of it, I disagree with you on Stafford. I like the guy a lot. I'd certainly take him over Wolski or Radulov at this point. To be honest, if I'm drafting for the Senators and I have a top 10 pick and both Ladd and Stafford are there, truth be told I'd take Stafford. That's just me though, very few people would agree with that and understandably so.

A goalie to the Coyotes makes sense. I'm not sold on Leneveu yet, and the organization has no serious needs for the future. I love their defence (especially offensively, so no need for Thelen, a Mara clone, IMO) and they have pretty good young forwards. I'll agree they might take Montoya over Schwarz, but that's a nitpicky thing. The intent on your part was correct.

Finally, I think Lyamin is a bit high. Simply don't see him going that high.

thestonedkoala

Hossa, Bouchard was taken out of the Q because he wasn't being challenged. The problem is with him is his weight and his drive. The guy gets pushed around too much and Lemaire moved him out to wing SO HE CAN DO SOMETHING OFFENSIVELY! If he was trying to restrict Bouchard he would keep him down the middle but he moved him to wing so he can set up plays and don't have to worry about being a big defensive liability because the center has that covered.

Americans? Or college players?

Erickson was hampered by an injury. O'Sullivan but he's in the CHL. We drafted Foy out of college but he moved to the CHL right after. Irmen too. Cavosie but he's been only 2 years in the minors.

Most of the guys we draft are our of Canada Hockey League, save for a few in Europe or one or two in college.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
thestonedkoala said:

half of the league comes out of canada, kinda limiting your options isn't it?

tripledekehockey

Apr 1, 2004
pittsburgh pa
great job with your mock draft -- best one so far -- nice to see someone go against the norm and take some chances for some teams

would you consider expanding it to 2 rounds?? as a pens fan, i cant really agrue much with them picking malkin, but they do have two second rounders and i would be interested to see who you have them taking there

thestonedkoala

Xander, not really half when you got some guys coming out of the US and then a lot out of Europe :D...

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
tripledekehockey said:
great job with your mock draft -- best one so far -- nice to see someone go against the norm and take some chances for some teams

would you consider expanding it to 2 rounds?? as a pens fan, i cant really agrue much with them picking malkin, but they do have two second rounders and i would be interested to see who you have them taking there

I'm gonna do a 2nd round after the final order is revealed.

X0ssbar

Love your pick for the CBJ. It will be interesting to see how the Hawks set the table for the rest of the 1st round - they definitely hold the keys.

CH Wizard

GREAT JOB DRAFT GURU !! me too I think phoenix will draft a goalie !

Divine Wind

Draft Guru said:
I'm gonna do a 2nd round after the final order is revealed.

When and where is the final complete draft list available?

Edit: Nice draft by the way. I would be happy with those selections as an Oiler fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad