Draft Day Hypothetical

Richard Moistmaker

May 9, 2018
Let's assume we draft either Hughes or Boqvist with our 6th overall pick. Let's also assume that Dobson is still on the board after the 9th pick.

Would you consider dealing Cholowski and Nyquist for the 10th overall pick from Edmonton? Edmonton seems to want to compete now and would get a decent scoring winger in Nyquist and a prospect that is closer to being nhl ready than anything you would get at 10th overall.

I'm really high on Cholowski after he had a very good D+1 but think Dobson would be a clear upgrade. It would also give us a great Right/left balance for our future D core. We would also have a great balance between offensive and defensive D men.

Let me know what you guys think.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Too rich.

Nyquist + pick(s) + other assets not named Cholowski/ Rasmussen/ Hronek yeah sure I'd go for it.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Who's to say Nyquist will make an immediate impact there though. Nyquist wasn't really making an impact here, what would lead them to believe he'll be better there?

Reactions: David D

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
If Dobson is on the board at 10 I'd happily trade any two of Nyquist, AA, VGK 1st, and Cholowski for the pick to take Dobson. According to the reports I've seen Edmonton is only interested in moving the pick if they can get a top 4 D that can provide immediate scoring. None of our assets fit that bill so while HfBoards had a deal like the one above essentially agreed upon, I don't think any of these are realistic.

Getting Boqvist/Hughes + Dobson would be amazing. Our breakouts would all of sudden be a strength instead of a weakness.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I do not want to trade up in this draft until late rounds if there's a guy we really want and won't cost much to move up

Richard Moistmaker

May 9, 2018
Who's to say Nyquist will make an immediate impact there though. Nyquist wasn't really making an impact here, what would lead them to believe he'll be better there?
He was 2nd in goals on our team this year. Obviously he is still not performing up to our expectations but you can't really say he didn't have much of an impact. I was more directing that comment about the fact that they are looking for roster players over draft picks.

Personally, I think Nyquist would look good on Draisaitl's line. Nyquist is a complimentary player who relies on a strong center.

Richard Moistmaker

May 9, 2018
If Dobson is on the board at 10 I'd happily trade any two of Nyquist, AA, VGK 1st, and Cholowski for the pick to take Dobson. According to the reports I've seen Edmonton is only interested in moving the pick if they can get a top 4 D that can provide immediate scoring. None of our assets fit that bill so while HfBoards had a deal like the one above essentially agreed upon, I don't think any of these are realistic.

Getting Boqvist/Hughes + Dobson would be amazing. Our breakouts would all of sudden be a strength instead of a weakness.
That is a valid point. Completely forgot that they were looking for a top 4 D. Probably got caught up in my obsession to get both Hughes and Dobson and overlooked that haha

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
He was 2nd in goals on our team this year. Obviously he is still not performing up to our expectations but you can't really say he didn't have much of an impact. I was more directing that comment about the fact that they are looking for roster players over draft picks.

Personally, I think Nyquist would look good on Draisaitl's line. Nyquist is a complimentary player who relies on a strong center.
People set their expectations far too high for him while he was riding a ridiculous shooting percentage not even the best goal scorers in the NHL can maintain.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Let's assume we draft either Hughes or Boqvist with our 6th overall pick. Let's also assume that Dobson is still on the board after the 9th pick.

Would you consider dealing Cholowski and Nyquist for the 10th overall pick from Edmonton? Edmonton seems to want to compete now and would get a decent scoring winger in Nyquist and a prospect that is closer to being nhl ready than anything you would get at 10th overall.

I'm really high on Cholowski after he had a very good D+1 but think Dobson would be a clear upgrade. It would also give us a great Right/left balance for our future D core. We would also have a great balance between offensive and defensive D men.

Let me know what you guys think.
I will do it in a heartbeat to get Jesperi Kotkaniemi.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Also played with Zetterberg all year, and had among the most ice time for forwards, hardly anything to brag about. Helm had only 9 less pts, with way less ice time, and no PP time, just to show you how bad Nyquist truly was.

Reactions: David D

Richard Moistmaker

May 9, 2018
Also played with Zetterberg all year, and had among the most ice time for forwards, hardly anything to brag about. Helm had only 9 less pts, with way less ice time, and no PP time, just to show you how bad Nyquist truly was.
Definitely wasn't bragging about it. Just arguing the point that he had no impact on this team, when he clearly had made an impact. Regardless of his expectations/usage.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
You have to give to get. Plus Edmonton is looking for players that can make an immediate impact.

I have no problem giving up Nyquist + AA's rights + Vegas 1st for that pick

I want to hang onto Cholowski. And he isn't going to make an immediate impact anywhere in the NHL next season.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
I have no problem giving up Nyquist + AA's rights + Vegas 1st for that pick

I want to hang onto Cholowski. And he isn't going to make an immediate impact anywhere in the NHL next season.

I would do that as well. Landing another top 10 prospects for nobody that will be in a Wings uniform a year from now is a good deal.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
They want a top4 D? Offer them DDK.

You have to wonder if you consider DeKeyser to be one of those, he has been fairly terrible for a while now.

Edmonton also has some cap issues at this point. I think we would have to retain on DeKeyser, honestly I would still consider that but it would be retaining probably at least a million for the rest of his contract to make him more palatable for other teams in my opinion. He also has a NTC and is making 5.5 in real money the next two years before it goes down to a modified one with less actual cash in the years. We have to hope DeKeyser takes the summer seriously and actually finally makes some incremental improvements. If DK doesn't put on 10 more lbs of muscle and start playing with a little more jam he is what he is at this point. He gets murdered in front of our net and in the corners on a routine basis. He is a very weak top 4 D-man if we want to consider him one, the last two years I can only call him one by usage as his play wasn't good enough.

He is a guy that to me was outplayed on a somewhat nightly basis by Jensen and Daley.... That isn't good sign for DK, this is a very big summer for him in my opinion.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
think Red wings should absolutely target edmontons 10th or another high pick.

Use vegas pick, nyquist and AA to get it done if reasonable. target a player like
Jesperi Kotkaniemi
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
OR
whoever is good. Heard Kotkaniemi Kopitar comparison and that sounds good to me.

Reactions: turkleton85

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->