Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
theres a few value russian forwards i really like in this draft as well. 2 off this years U18 team.

ivan morozov C right handed shot. i think is a sleeper type guy who could play an efficient 2/3 c role. i see a very "safe" player here with 2 way skills and a solid 3 zone game. underrated scorer too.

grigori denisenko LW is another highly skilled classic russian off wing righty. silky and dangerous. he's got stupid skills. watch this kid play, he oozes flow. he's a 3/4 round gem imo.

disclosure: i like russian players. :nod:
Don't many people have Denisenko going in first round? I would take both of them easily in 2nd round and beyond.
Is Kravstov better than Denisenko?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I've seen him all over the place. i may have him too low. should have him as a 2/3 round gem. i do nt think he goes in round 1 though.

too me he's a potential dropper and so thats a steal waiting to happen.

denisenko is the more skilled player imo. but kravstov is a stud as well.

the other guy i failed to mention is vlady kotkov. another sleeper type who may drop with drool worthy skills and size. skating needs work but hell play at almost 6'5.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
I've seen him all over the place. i may have him too low. should have him as a 2/3 round gem. i do nt think he goes in round 1 though.

too me he's a potential dropper and so thats a steal waiting to happen.

denisenko is the more skilled player imo. but kravstov is a stud as well.

the other guy i failed to mention is vlady kotkov. another sleeper type who may drop with drool worthy skills and size. skating needs work but hell play at almost 6'5.

Below are his rankings:

I don't see him lasting past the first

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Everytime i see barret hayton his name is rising on lists

He and kotkaniemi are the highest ranked natural Cs on the board. I could see them sneaking into the top 10

He was high early on, then fell during the season. It looks like he is climbing again. TSN had him up at 6 OA at one point. Its not surprising though. Need a Canadian forward in their top ten.

Craig Button loves the guy. Had this to say about him.
"Hayton can play and contribute in all situations. He reminds me of Boston Bruins star Patrice Bergeron in the sense of being complete, strong and able to produce whatever play is necessary to win. Like Bergeron, there’s not a lot of flash to his game, but winning teams will always value players with Hayton’s skills."

2 way center, good on faceoffs, aggravating player on the forecheck. Excellent PK guy. Character guy.

This big knock...He's just not a good skater.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Steve Kournianos‏ @TheDraftAnalyst

My top three for the 2018 draft will not change. It's Svechnikov, Dahlin and Zadina, in that order. Adam Boqvist will jump to 4th and stay there. Veleno, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom and Farabee will be the next group. Ty Smith and Quinn Hughes will round out the Top 10.

Can agree on most of those names. I like Smith, but I don't rank him higher than Bouchard or Dobson at this point, and I have Hughes up with Boqvist.

Veleno has raised his stock somewhat, but there's no way I have him in that top tier.

Even in his "breakout" offensive role, is good, but certainly not amazing --- especially for a player who has already played more than 200 games in the Q.

Veleno has a fairly high floor, but I just don't think the ceiling up there with some of the other top talent.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Does he have Svech ranked over Dahlin? :eek:
He has had Svechnikov ranked over Dahlin for a while now. And he also thinks Dahlin is getting taken first overall regardless

The reasoning for having Svechnikov over Dahlin is actually an interesting one. He cites historic trends with defensemen and forwards, and while Dahlin might be the better player in the long run, Svechnikov has significantly higher chance of making an immediate impact on his team.

Think of it as choosing between a star forward like Alex Ovechkin or a “franchise” defenseman in the mold of Ottawa’s Erik Karlsson. It makes for one heck of a debate, and what’s similar to the one involving Svechnikov and Dahlin is that there is no wrong answer. It simply boils down to preference — an elite goal scorer versus an electrifying defender.

One thing certain is that goal scoring in the NHL has slowly retreated down to Dead Puck Era levels. Talk of making nets bigger, rinks wider and pads smaller started somewhere, and it wasn’t during the halcyon days of Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux. The ability to finish — burying chances you should bury and those you shouldn’t — has become a rarity. For all of Dahlin’s strengths — speed, grace, puck control, vision — he still may take longer than Svechnikov to leave an imprint on the league. Remember, a team picking first or second overall usually is in bad shape both on the ice and at the box office. Goals win games. Wins fill seats. In our opinion, the shortest path to success begins with Svechnikov.

The Draft Analyst | 2018 NHL Draft Rankings: The Preseason 500

Reactions: Joey Bones

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Everytime i see barret hayton his name is rising on lists

He and kotkaniemi are the highest ranked natural Cs on the board. I could see them sneaking into the top 10

Don't see Hayton rising into the top 10. It would be a reach if he were. Good shot and defensive prowess. Not very fast. Some compare him to Bergeron, but that's a stretch, ATM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lion Hound

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
theres a few value russian forwards i really like in this draft as well. 2 off this years U18 team.

ivan morozov C right handed shot. i think is a sleeper type guy who could play an efficient 2/3 c role. i see a very "safe" player here with 2 way skills and a solid 3 zone game. underrated scorer too.

grigori denisenko LW is another highly skilled classic russian off wing righty. silky and dangerous. he's got stupid skills. watch this kid play, he oozes flow. he's a 3/4 round gem imo.

disclosure: i like russian players. :nod:

Denisenko is a 1st round talent. I don't think he falls in the 3rd/4th round range.

Reactions: jas

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I've said it earlier in the year, but I could see Svechnikov being the 1st pick in June. People are in awe over Dahlin's skillset (and don't get me wrong, it's phenomenal), but Svechnikov has that high scoring ability in a Kovalchuk type of way. Dahlin is intriguing with his ability to carry plays on his back, but I find his lack of scoring kind of worrisome. With as many offensive opportunities he creates on the back end, he only has 7 goals. His finish could be an issue in the NHL.

In reality, it has always been a 1A/1B situation with Svechnikov and Dahlin. I still think Dahlin goes 1st overall in June, but I wouldn't say it's surefire. Like Steve K mentions, goals wins games and ticket sales.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I've said it earlier in the year, but I could see Svechnikov being the 1st pick in June. People are in awe over Dahlin's skillset (and don't get me wrong, it's phenomenal), but Svechnikov has that high scoring ability in a Kovalchuk type of way. Dahlin is intriguing with his ability to carry plays on his back, but I find his lack of scoring kind of worrisome. With as many offensive opportunities he creates on the back end, he only has 7 goals. His finish could be an issue in the NHL.

In reality, it has always been a 1A/1B situation with Svechnikov and Dahlin. I still think Dahlin goes 1st overall in June, but I wouldn't say it's surefire. Like Steve K mentions, goals wins games and ticket sales.

Lidstrom scored 20 goals once, averaged 1PPG once. He's still one of the best defensemen ever. Dahlin had the second best U18 scoring season ever in the SHL. Not only defensemen, but all players. His stat line is near identical to Hedman who was not even a U18 in his draft season, he was U19. Does anyone worry about Hedman's offense? 20 points in 41 games is not a problem for a defenseman.

Reactions: hi and Mac n Gs

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Lidstrom scored 20 goals once, averaged 1PPG once. He's still one of the best defensemen ever. Dahlin had the second best U18 scoring season ever in the SHL. Not only defensemen, but all players. His stat line is near identical to Hedman who was not even a U18 in his draft season, he was U19. Does anyone worry about Hedman's offense? 20 points in 41 games is not a problem for a defenseman.

Not talking about points. I'm talking goal scoring ability and his play. Dahlin likes to go end to end, dangle around players and go one-on-one with the keeper 50/50 of the time. Out of those opportunities, he's only had 7 goals. Svechnikov has the ability to be a true natural goal scorer which is really hard to find in today's NHL.

I'm not knocking Dahlin's talent. It's well deserved to be in contention for 1st overall. I just feel his NHL goal scoring is not going to be as efficient as Svechnikov's or possibly Zadina's for that matter. All I'm really saying is that Dahlin shouldn't be considered a surefire, 1st overall pick because teams need goal scoring. He has yet to show his Lidstrom goal scoring comparison.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
That’s an interesting argument, but I still think it’s Dahlin at 1OA no matter what. I weigh D as more important than W.

Back to Dobson, I really do wonder how much better he can be once he finishes filling out. He’s slightly younger than Bouchard and is 15 pounds lighter. If we stay in our current position and want a dmen, I’d be more than happy with any of those 2 or Wilde. Wilde does make me nervous, but goddamn would he be sick if he puts it all together

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not talking about points. I'm talking goal scoring ability and his play. Dahlin likes to go end to end, dangle around players and go one-on-one with the keeper 50/50 of the time. Out of those opportunities, he's only had 7 goals. Svechnikov has the ability to be a true natural goal scorer which is really hard to find in today's NHL.

I'm not knocking Dahlin's talent. It's well deserved to be in contention for 1st overall. I just feel his NHL goal scoring is not going to be as efficient as Svechnikov's or possibly Zadina's for that matter. All I'm really saying is that Dahlin shouldn't be considered a surefire, 1st overall pick because teams need goal scoring. He has yet to show his Lidstrom goal scoring comparison.

McDavid isn't a great goal-scorer.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
That’s an interesting argument, but I still think it’s Dahlin at 1OA no matter what. I weigh D as more important than W.

Back to Dobson, I really do wonder how much better he can be once he finishes filling out. He’s slightly younger than Bouchard and is 15 pounds lighter. If we stay in our current position and want a dmen, I’d be more than happy with any of those 2 or Wilde. Wilde does make me nervous, but goddamn would he be sick if he puts it all together

It is really interesting. Both players will be in the NHL next year and could thrive immediately. It's just preference, again like Steve K said.

As for the NYR pick, it really is a toss up between Bouchard and Dobson. Some could make cases for Smith and Wilde. I'd be happy with any of those at No. 8.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
But he's still got 30+ goals on the year....
I think I get what PB is saying there. It’s more that it’s how ridiculous McDavid drives play relative to the rest of the league, and even though he isn’t the best goal scorer, he still makes his impact in all facets of the game. I think that’s what he’s saying Dahlin will do

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I think I get what PB is saying there. It’s more that it’s how ridiculous McDavid drives play relative to the rest of the league, and even though he isn’t the best goal scorer, he still makes his impact in all facets of the game. I think that’s what he’s saying Dahlin will do

And I think he's right in the sense of racking up points. Goal scoring is different, IMO.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
The KHL is rumored to be releasing two teams from the league after this year. Last year, they did away with Metallurg Novokuznetsk. This year it's rumored that two of these four teams will be released; Dinamo Riga, HC Slovan Bratislava, Lada Togliatti and Yugra Khanty-Mansiysk. As per KHL insider and beat writer, Aivis Kalnins, he believes it will be Lada and Yugra.

I thought I'd take a look at their rosters and prospects to see if any would be intriguing candidates for the draft/FA signing with NYR....

Lada Togliatti

G: Anton Krasotkin
(RUS) (6'0"/179lbs., Catches: Left, Age: 20)
KHL Stats 17/18: GP: 25, GAA: 2.79, SV%: .914 (No Playoffs)
KHL Stats Total: GP: 31, GAA: 4.10, SV%: .880 (No Playoffs)
Awards: WJC Bronze 16/17, KHL Rookie of the Week (1 time)

I've been wondering why teams haven't taken a shot at Krasotkin in the draft, but I'm still on board with the keeper. Was moved from Yaroslavl to Lada back in August and was given split duties with Lada's other keeper, Lazushin. Grew a bit from last season (think he was 5'10 last year) and has good technical agility and a modest positioning. I think it is unlikely that NYR take a goalie, but I think he could be a late bloomer. This will be his last year of draft eligibility in June.

C/W: Denis Zernov
(RUS) (5'9"/176lbs., Shot: Left, Age: 22)
KHL Stats 17/18: GP: 56, G: 16, A:13, Pts: 29, +/-: Even, PIM: 55
KHL Stats Total: GP: 103, G: 23, A:19, Pts: 42, +/-: -10, PIM: 90
Awards: KHL Rookie of the Week (1 time)

I think this guy could carve out a Yanni Gourde type NHL career. Physical for a guy who is 5'9 and is fast. He has nothing left to prove in the MHL/VHL, as he was even in PPG last year and can definitely keep up in the KHL. Progressed every year in pro hockey, could see him rise further down the line and is still young.

Yugra Khanty-Mansiysk

G: Timur Bilyalov

(RUS) (5'11"/176lbs., Catches: Left, Age: 22)
KHL Stats 17/18: GP: 12, GAA: 2.13, SV%: .929
KHL Stats Total: GP: 12, GAA: 2.13, SV%: .929
Awards: None in the KHL, but a ton in the MHL/VHL

Small sample size in the KHL, but has progressed mightily for years. Haven't personally seen him play or seen any highlights, but by looking at records he's won in the MHL/VHL says a lot on his growth. In 15/16, he won VHL Goalie of the Week 4 times (including twice in the playoffs), VHL Best Playoffs GAA (1.28), VHL Best Playoffs SV% (.959), VHL Playoffs MVP, VHL Championship and VHL Best Goalie of the Year. In 16/17, he won VHL Goalie of the Month (November) and the Universiade Gold Medal. His stats are trending upward, would keep an eye on him.

C/W: Stepan Grymzin
(RUS) (6'0"/190lbs., Shot: Left, Age: 19)
KHL Stats 17/18: GP: 15, G: 1, A: 0, Pts: 1, +/-: -3, PIM: 0
KHL Stats Total: GP: 15, G: 1, A: 0, Pts: 1, +/-: -3, PIM: 0
Awards: None

This kid came out of no where. Literally!! Had only 19 points in 48 MHL games last season to having 51 points in 48 MHL games this season. He, also, recorded 4 points in 2 playoff games with 3 goals and an assist. Good size for an NHL game, point production deserved a couple of KHL games this year. Was first eligible for the draft last year and is still draft eligible for a few years, but again, haven't seen any highlights on him. Wish I could critique his play, I can't find anything else on him.

C/W: Pavel Shen
(RUS) (6'1"/183lbs., Shot: Left, Age: 18)
KHL Stats 17/18: GP: 29, G: 2, A: 0, Pts: 2, +/-: -7, PIM: 16
KHL Stats Total: GP: 29, G: 2, A: 0, Pts: 2, +/-: -7, PIM: 16
Awards: None in the KHL, but played in MHL All-Star Game 16/17

I liked Shen last year when he was first eligible for the draft, but got passed over for some reason. I think he is a pretty decently skilled playmaker, as he has 71 points in 79 MHL games with 28 goals and 43 assist in a two year span. Sort of took a step back in production in his Overage +1, but he still managed to get a good amount of KHL games in this year. Later round gamble, IMO, but he looked really good last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad