Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Dallas or Florida could use some depth scoring. Maybe Zuc to one of them for their first

Thanks man.

Who are the players you want from those teams?

I'm thinking the Rangers might be looking for good young D's.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m still not convinced what he does in the OHL will translate to actual NHL offense. Half this **** he does doesn’t work against better players in rigid systems and he’s so ****ing bad defensively. Ryan Murphy 2.0

Yeah, I agree. There are always OFD in the draft who put up great stats, not all are automatic 40 point per season players.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
I don't even necessarily see this as a risk thing. I don't think he's a first round talent. He'll score a lot of points, but give away just as many defensively. And then he has attitude issues. Unless you are Shatty level with the points, not just an OFD who can put up points, you are a marginal NHL'er with that skill-set. Gonna need to be 40+ per season consistently. And the attitude issues make it worse for a player who already has major question marks whether he can be an impact NHL'er.
He's one of the best passers in the entire draft so he could be a consistent 40pt player, the rest of his game is the question. If we're at 31 and choosing between someone like Sandin or Merkly, Id go Merkly

Last edited:

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
So could LA...Zuccarello has shown chemistry with Kopitar when they played together in the World Cup.

Yes. That seems a good fit. Who could you see coming back Jas?

Heck, I've Zuuc play with so many different combinations over the years and create great scoring chances.

If the Rangers are really serious about a deal, I could see a whole lot of interest.

Gonna really break my heart to see him go...

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Yes. That seems a good fit. Who could you see coming back Jas?

Heck, I've Zuuc play with so many different combinations over the years and create great scoring chances.

If the Rangers are really serious about a deal, I could see a whole lot of interest.

Gonna really break my heart to see him go...

Definitely this year’s #1 and possibly a 2nd next year or a B prospect.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's one of the best passers in the entire draft so he could be a consistent 4opt player, the rest of his game is the question. If we're at 31 and choosing between someone like Sandin or Merkly, Id go Merkly

DeAngelo was a great skater with puck skills and passing, Murphy, Pouliot, not all of these guys turn into point producers at the NHL level. I think Merkley plays too much of a junior game, he still tries to dangle a whole team and then feed a player for a tap in. Doesn't work that way in the NHL. I also think his hockey IQ is questionable, at best. Then there's the issue of whether he will ever be good enough in the other parts of the game to let coaches put him on the ice enough to produce offense at the NHL level. If you are a defenseman and you can only play at an NHL level in one zone, most good coaches would not put you on the ice.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
DeAngelo was a great skater with puck skills and passing, Murphy, Pouliot, not all of these guys turn into point producers at the NHL level. I think Merkley plays too much of a junior game, he still tries to dangle a whole team and then feed a player for a tap in. Doesn't work that way in the NHL. I also think his hockey IQ is questionable, at best. Then there's the issue of whether he will ever be good enough in the other parts of the game to let coaches put him on the ice enough to produce offense at the NHL level. If you are a defenseman and you can only play at an NHL level in one zone, most good coaches would not put you on the ice.

Generally I agree with this and what I've heard here and there about Merkley makes me think of DeAngelo or Ryan Murphy or maybe at best Michael Del Zotto and IMO he might be alright if he's our later 2nd or one of our 3rd's but I wouldn't be taking him in the 1st round either.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
He needs a guy to playmake for him, he doesn't create his own offense.

I don't think the observation is that he doesn't generate offense.

I think the observation is that he (obviously) benefits from playing with the potential pick in the 2019 draft.

He doesn't need Hughes to generate for him, but it certainly doesn't hurt his game either.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think the observation is that he doesn't generate offense.

I think the observation is that he (obviously) benefits from playing with the potential pick in the 2019 draft.

He doesn't need Hughes to generate for him, but it certainly doesn't hurt his game either.

That's my observation. Obviously he can create to some extent, but he's playing in USHL mostly against players who won't even be pros, so I wouldn't take junior stats to mean that much. But I do think those stats show that he's way more effective when he has a playmaker.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
with our pmd's in the pipeline now, merkley doesnt warrant one of our picks. too many holes in that game for me to pick him. he's very similar to tychonick. no thanks.

i would like a more reliable defensive prospect who can get up and down the ice without losing assignments. i especially like luleas nils lunqkvist and his more developed 2 way game.

hes one of my quiet gem picks in that 30-50 range.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
with our pmd's in the pipeline now, merkley doesnt warrant one of our picks. too many holes in that game for me to pick him. he's very similar to tychonick. no thanks.

i would like a more reliable defensive prospect who can get up and down the ice without losing assignments. i especially like luleas nils lunqkvist and his more developed 2 way game.

hes one of my quiet gem picks in that 30-50 range.

Please no. Sam Rosen will die if we have a Lundqvist, a Lundkvist, and a Lindqvist on the team at the same time.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
According to Elite Prospects the Rangers are about the sign Swedish league winger Michael Lindqvists. He is a 23 year old 5'11" 172 lbs right winger scoring scoring 34 points in 33 games for Farjestad. Michael Lindqvist

Here is the google translate version of the article Lindqvists val - New York Rangers - MrMadhawk.se:

Google Translate

Lindqvist's choice - New York Rangers
MrMadhawk.se
Michael Lindqvist leaves Färjestad.
And his club choice is almost clear.
According to information to MrMadhawk.se he is in final negotiations with a truly classical NHL club, in the form of New York Rangers.
- I do not confirm anything. But the number of teams has narrowed off properly the last time, so there are not many left with now, "said Lindqvist's agent, Joakim Persson.

According to sources of MrMadhawk.se, Washington Capitals have also been featured in the picture, but they have gotten nobody, and now it's all about finishing the last with Rangers in the near future.
"The decision is close, so much can I give you," says Joakim Persson.

What do you say about Rangers?
- A decision is approaching. It will be official in the near future, "said Joakim Persson.

How has interest for him been during the season?
- Really big. I have been talking to several GM's in NHL during the season and have been over to the United States and met some. Now it is getting closer and that's what I have to say, says Persson.

Michael Lindqvist has had a huge season in SHL. He initiated SHL by injecting targets for FBK, but also had injury problems. He was in the national team now before the World Cup, but has been forced to decline no further games due to injury.
For this reason, he can also finish the NHL club.
And that's the end of the New York Rangers.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I guess, I feel like some of the arguments he made for Tkachuk were lacking context and omitting things to make him look better, but that may be my feelings getting in the way

If anybody's argument is lacking context, it's the Bash Brady Battalion. I get choosing one prospect over another and having preferences, but dragging a kid through the mud because he chose to play tougher competition, all while ignoring all the many great things he did this year, is why I made those tweets.

The same people bashing Tkachuk and trying to marginalize his season are the same guys who bashed Mittelstadt for his USHL 5v5 production, the pull-up and his freshman season. Oh, would you look at that -- Mittelstadt had 5 pts in his first 6 NHL games, and rendered all that nonsense moot.

Tkachuk led his team (an NCAA tournament team) in assists as a freshman -- that is not an easy thing to do -- and without playing on the first line until later in the season. He was tied for 2nd in his conference in freshman scoring, and the guy who was first (Bowers) had only one more point. He's produced the same number of points in the same tournaments as Zadina and Svechnikov. Literally the same tournaments -- U18, U17, U20 -- same competition, all top-line players, all PP1 players -- same production.

I just don't get why people can't say "I like this prospect better but the other guy ain't bad either". NHL scouts are in love with Tkachuk, and for good reason.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If anybody's argument is lacking context, it's the Bash Brady Battalion. I get choosing one prospect over another and having preferences, but dragging a kid through the mud because he chose to play tougher competition, all while ignoring all the many great things he did this year, is why I made those tweets.

The same people bashing Tkachuk and trying to marginalize his season are the same guys who bashed Mittelstadt for his USHL 5v5 production, the pull-up and his freshman season. Oh, would you look at that -- Mittelstadt had 5 pts in his first 6 NHL games, and rendered all that nonsense moot.

Tkachuk led his team (an NCAA tournament team) in assists as a freshman -- that is not an easy thing to do -- and without playing on the first line until later in the season. He was tied for 2nd in his conference in freshman scoring, and the guy who was first (Bowers) had only one more point. He's produced the same number of points in the same tournaments as Zadina and Svechnikov. Literally the same tournaments -- U18, U17, U20 -- same competition, all top-line players, all PP1 players -- same production.

I just don't get why people can't say "I like this prospect better but the other guy ain't bad either". NHL scouts are in love with Tkachuk, and for good reason.

I agree with what you're saying re: Tkachuk but 6 games really doesn't prove shit.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
People are trashing Tkachuk because they think a lottery pick is an automatic bust unless they are a no doubt first line/first pairing player.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

I'm not saying he's a bad prospect, and I don't think he's going to be a bust. I think saying he's on the same level as Svechnikov and Zadina and would be doing the same things they are in juniors based on U17, U18, and U20 (where Svechnikov didn't get first line or PP1 time for most of the games) is disingenuous because while the quality of competition is similar (Zadina/Svechnikov probably have it harder because Brady doesn't have to play against the US), the quality of their team mates isn't close.

The leading his team in assists thing is fine, but I'm wary on using a season of assists to prove his offensive prowess. Look at Skjei, for example, before and after he was drafted he was never seen as a guy who had any significant offensive upside, his rookie year he scores like 40 points or whatever it was, but someone here crunched the numbers and a lot of them were secondary assists, and to the surprise of some people, he didn't replicate his output again this year.

And I originally had a problem with the list of other players that did something similar to Tkachuk that you tweeted, but I realize it's probably because you want to include players that are currently at their peak/have peaked to give it that kind of context. But I'd rather look at Tkachuk compared to contemporary prospects/players like Keller, Jost, Connor, Boeser, etc.

I don't hate Tkachuk, I just don't see the offensive upside that the people who are high on him see. I think he fits in somewhere in the last half of the top 10 this year, and in regards to this thread and Rangers specific needs there's quite a few other players I'd take over him

Reactions: Joey Bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Pretty much see Tkachuk as between 5 and 9. I would not have a problem with the Rangers drafting him if he was still on board when it's our turn. I don't think he'll get there and I'd lean towards a defenseman if he doesn't. Love the skill and size package. The Rangers could use someone with his abilities and mean streak.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Pretty much see Tkachuk as between 5 and 9. I would not have a problem with the Rangers drafting him if he was still on board when it's our turn. I don't think he'll get there and I'd lean towards a defenseman if he doesn't. Love the skill and size package. The Rangers could use someone with his abilities and mean streak.

Yep agreed. If the Rangers are at 8 I’d be fine taking Tkachuk. I’m not seeing the red flags

buckmaster

Feb 22, 2009
Generally I agree with this and what I've heard here and there about Merkley makes me think of DeAngelo or Ryan Murphy or maybe at best Michael Del Zotto and IMO he might be alright if he's our later 2nd or one of our 3rd's but I wouldn't be taking him in the 1st round either.

I live in Guelph Ontario and have seen him live many times.

He's great offensively but terribly bad defensively. I would not use a 1st round on him.

I don' see him being a impact player and is too small to make as a 5-6th defensemen.

If roll the dice with a later 2 or 3 round. That's it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad