Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
We discussed this after the Rangers got eliminated against TB. You thought they needed to make the team not so chummy. Maybe some new younger voices needed to emerge, and by moving out Stepan, Girardi, Nash and McDonagh, it opened up space for Kreider, Hayes, Zibanejad and Fast to start leading.

I never could quite shake the feeling that the group was a little too friendly.

Interestingly enough, Brooks has intimated as such a few times in the years since the TB series --- when discussing the acquisition and banishment of Smith, and several others times as the Rangers have moved certain core pieces from that team.

So it's at least possible that I wasn't alone in that feeling.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com

Interestingly enough, Brooks has intimated as such a few times in the years since the TB series --- when discussing the acquisition and banishment of Smith, and several others times as the Rangers have moved certain core pieces from that team.

There is definitely a culture here that has been way too relaxed and to me that starts w/ AV more so than even the players. I was not Torts' biggest fans, but he did get a lot out of his talent, even if he was over the top with his yelling. AV seems to be stuck in his ways, let's the inmates run the asylum, and a culture of acceptance. I feel like the only one who really is animated after a loss and really cares is Hank, and it's kind of ironic that he's the focal point of AV's logic why the team is so bad this year.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

I wonder what impact the play of the players you described as wanting to remain Rangers has on the approach of management this off-season, most notably Kreider and Zibanejad. No one was supposedly untouchable except Henke. Gorton has said he knows how other teams value his players. I have repeatedly wondered if this is the new norm for both players, and how, if it is, that impacts how Gorton moves forward.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Unless something changed this year the final four teams in the draft order have to make it to their conference finals. The two that make it to the Cup finals will have the 30th and 31st spots depending on which team wins. The 16 through 27 spots are all by standings points (of playoff teams) excluding the conference finalists (the final four teams)--so if Boston or Tampa don't make it we're likely going to be picking No. 27 (or maybe 26) with the team that doesn't make it to the conference finals.

I'm kind of figuring it this way right now....the Rangers currently are at 11--one of the Boston/Tampa firsts will be the 27 and the other will be somewhere between 28 and 31. Our second will be 42 and then New Jersey's second comes after that.

So as it looks today 11, 27, 28-31?, 42, NJ 2nd.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I wonder what impact the play of the players you described as wanting to remain Rangers has on the approach of management this off-season, most notably Kreider and Zibanejad. No one was supposedly untouchable except Henke. Gorton has said he knows how other teams value his players. I have repeatedly wondered if this is the new norm for both players, and how, if it is, that impacts how Gorton moves forward.

Probably depends on if he feels this is then on a hot streak, or what he expects from them.

It’ll be interesting to see how the Rangers view both guys. Not just from a playing standpoint, but also contractually.

Kreider has two years left on his deal, and I believe Zibanejad has a movement clause in his contract after this next season.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
The further down we go in the draft order, the more I want to pick defense with our early pick. The BPA will likely be a defenseman in that area unless a guy like Wahlstrom inexplicably falls.

Bouchard, Bokk/Kravtsov, and Samuelsson/Miller is a home run of a first round haul.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
The further down we go in the draft order, the more I want to pick defense with our early pick. The BPA will likely be a defenseman in that area unless a guy like Wahlstrom inexplicably falls.

Bouchard, Bokk/Kravtsov, and Samuelsson/Miller is a home run of a first round haul.

Change Samuelsson to Lundkvist/Sandin and i'm with you.

brians1128

Nov 1, 2016
How far up do you see us moving our late firsts if we paired one with zuccarello and the other with the rights to Spooner? Obviously its doesn't have to be for just a draft pick but a player/prospect plus # of spots as well

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Samuelsson is the type of player our organization needs. He's probably going to play 15 seasons in the league, 10 of them in the top 4, and he can defend better than any player in this draft other than Dahlin. We have a lot of young defensemen who can't defend. Our defense is a disaster, and its not just AV's system. It was good to add Hajek, Lindgren and Rykov, but you can't bank on those 3 to change the defensive struggles themselves. If we take a defensemen early, likely a two way or offensive guy, I think you consider taking a defensive guy later in the first.

I don't even know that many of the late first considerations have higher upside than Samuelsson, regardless of style of play. If he's available late first, you draft him. He's tremendously underrated, if thats his draft range.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Change Samuelsson to Lundkvist/Sandin and i'm with you.
Don't disagree. I happen to think that one of Lundkvist, Sandin, or Woo will be there with our first second rounder. Lundkvist is going to be a riser in many draft boards, we'll see about him. Samuelsson may even go earlier than Tampa's 1st; I can see a team swing for the fences on him between 15 and 25. A lot van happen between now and then.

Some risers that have a good U18 tournament might change things around quite a bit from the mid first round into the 2nd round.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Ottawa was willing to give away Karlsson to give away Ryan. Dealing Ryan is literally the most important thing they do moving fwd. They are so financially tight that anything they can do to breathe is a good thing. Point is this, maybe we say "hey take this third rounder and a prospect as well" so they can sell it to their fan base.

I'd do this all day long.

Reactions: GregSirico

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
No way am I taking Samuelsson with our first round pick, that has Dylan McIlrath written all over it. Can we go for a guy with a high ceiling please?
Dylan McIlrath had a high ceiling too.

Samuelsson, like McIlrath, is the definition of a swing for the fences pick. I'd have no problem taking him if the Rangers took another "safer" player like Bouchard or Smith earlier on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad