Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
I'm just hoping that this years draft provides depth toward the end of first round like last years. If we can grab the likes of kostin and tolvanen with Boston and tampas pick it would provide consolation for the guy we aren't getting with our first pick as of now .
I am rooting for an upset. Boston out in the 1st round gives us the 16th oa!

Last edited:
Reactions: GregSirico

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Best case scenario to me is they get to 8th (while they are surging a bit it's not unreasonable to think they still finish behind Carolina, Islanders, and 1 of Edmonton/Chicago) and assuming they don't win the lottery they trade to 5 or 6 and only give up a 2nd or 3rd based on what was referenced earlier. Couple that with maybe a guy going higher than he should and the Rangers could 100% land one of those 2nd tier guys you reference still.
I think that is the absolute best case scenario. So maybe as high as 8/9 but unfortunately could be as low as 13/14th come june 22nd. Plus the 8/9 slot gives us a decent 1 in 5 shot at a top 3.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I am rooting for an upset. Boston our in the 1st round gives us the 16th oa!

? Not sure if that is true. If Boston loses in the first round (which i agree with you we have to root for them to lose unless they play NJ sorry can't root for the devils) the best that pick can be would be around 23?24?25?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Ryan at 50% cap hit is 3.625M. Now that probably means we would have to trade one of our RFA's, but if that gets us a top 5 pick is it worth it?

This is a terrific question. Very debatable. Not sure about other fellow Ranger fans but I think i would.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
People continue to overestimate the cost to move up in the first round. The cost for Ottawa to move from 13 to 11 in 2016? A 3rd round pick. The cost to go from 9th to 4th for Carolina was a 2nd. In order for the Pens to go from 3rd overall to #1 was Mikael Samuelson and a 2nd, and they got back a 3rd. It’s not going to cost a #1 to go from 11th to 7th. And, if you include Zuccarello in a deal, you’re also getting another asset back.
I disagree. Think this draft is too hyped up for better or worse. Gonna cost more this year than most others. Hope somehow you’re right though.

Reactions: bl02

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
It did take Toronto quite a while at sucking tho and they needed Matthews (generational center talent) otherwise they wouldn't be anywhere close to on the path to winning a cup.
Right but point was when you get that talent it makes a difference. Some people look at Edmonton as the example that winning the lotto does nothing. They are a tirefire of mismanagement.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
No way they do that unless maybe we retained 50 percent on Smiths.

I don't know that they attach a 1st to get rid of Ryan (unless they fall back even further into the bottom half of the top 10) but Smith would give them relief of almost 3 million and his contract ends a year earlier than Ryans.

Ottawa is going to struggle to move that contract otherwise. I very much doubt that they'll be able to find a team willing to eat that in full with out sending pretty significant salary back the other way.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
? Not sure if that is true. If Boston loses in the first round (which i agree with you we have to root for them to lose unless they play NJ sorry can't root for the devils) the best that pick can be would be around 23?24?25?

If Boston doesn't win the division, a first round exit would mean their pick is between no 16 and 23, based on points.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
This is a terrific question. Very debatable. Not sure about other fellow Ranger fans but I think i would.
Thanks. Some people think it's crazy, but I think it's logical. Use our financial resources to the best of their ability. Bail out a franchise that can't do anything right and take on a pick. At 3M if Ryan is a 3rd line forward it's fair value.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
I don't know that they attach a 1st to get rid of Ryan (unless they fall back even further into the bottom half of the top 10) but Smith would give them relief of almost 3 million and his contract ends a year earlier than Ryans.

Ottawa is going to struggle to move that contract otherwise. I very much doubt that they'll be able to find a team willing to eat that in full with out sending pretty significant salary back the other way.
Ottawa was willing to give away Karlsson to give away Ryan. Dealing Ryan is literally the most important thing they do moving fwd. They are so financially tight that anything they can do to breathe is a good thing. Point is this, maybe we say "hey take this third rounder and a prospect as well" so they can sell it to their fan base.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If Boston doesn't win the division, a first round exit would mean their pick is between no 16 and 23, based on points.
Correct and it would be safe to say that if they were eliminated in the first round they would be one of the teams that had the highest regular season point totals unfortunately. So wouldn't that put the pick at 23?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Lets not forget ottawa is without another first next year. Are they really gonna trade a top 5/6 pick in a very good top 10 draft this year?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Lets not forget ottawa is without another first next year. Are they really gonna trade a top 5/6 pick in a very good top 10 draft this year?

This may be a situation where the Rangers send one of their late 1st back in a deal.

Also, they will probably have multiple 1sts if they deal Karlsson.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
When you have an owner that yells at his star player for not paying him back for an Uber ride ... yeah I am pretty confident they care more about money than the product on the ice.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Thanks. Some people think it's crazy, but I think it's logical. Use our financial resources to the best of their ability. Bail out a franchise that can't do anything right and take on a pick. At 3M if Ryan is a 3rd line forward it's fair value.

Just food for thought but would the league get involved? I mean if Melnyk is trying to save at every corner at what point does it just destroy the franchise little by little?

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I don't think there's any truth to "teams that don't embrace tanking for a pick are destined to suck" ... Edmonton is a tirefire and Buffalo has no idea how to run a franchise. Pittsburgh and Toronto and Winnipeg are good indicators that it works.
Actually, I'd say winnipeg is a good example of building while mostly not having lottery picks.

Look at some their key players; Scheifele went 7th, Ehlers went 7th(?), Trouba went 8 or 9, Morrissey was a later 1st rounder, Connor went 16th, Wheeler was traded for, Buff was traded for. Most of that team was built without top, top picks. The exception is Laine, and Winnipeg had to win the lottery to get him after finishing around 7th to last.

Reactions: jas

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Just food for thought but would the league get involved? I mean if Melnyk is trying to save at every corner at what point does it just destroy the franchise little by little?
Don't know, don't care. It's his problem to fix. He made the mess himself. Karlsson and Ryan will both be gone next year and they know Ryan's contract is SO horrendous they would have to give something to get rid of that contract, this is where maybe the Rangers come in as the Knight in shining Armour.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I've brought this up before but I am kind of curious to see what people think of this. Ottawa is currently on track for the 5th overall pick. Obviously taking Dahlin off the boards, and Svechnikov is likely to go next or at least 3rd at worst. Might leave Zadina, Boqvist, and Hughes on the board. Would you entertain taking on Bobby Ryan at 50% knowing Ottawa is desperate for cap relief and wants to get away from that albatross of a contract to obtain the 5th pick?

i'd absolutely be willing to take on a bad contract to increase the return but it really depends on the rest of the deal. are we talking about taking on the contract and giving up additional 2nd round picks to jump from 11 to 5? or are we talking about taking on the contract to swap 1st straight up? to jump from 25ish to 5?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
This may be a situation where the Rangers send one of their late 1st back in a deal.

Also, they will probably have multiple 1sts if they deal Karlsson.

I guess depends who they trade Karlsson to. If they trade him to a top team those first rounders might not be very shiny ones.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Actually, I'd say winnipeg is a good example of building while mostly not having lottery picks.

Look at some their key players; Scheifele went 7th, Ehlers went 7th(?), Trouba went 8 or 9, Morrissey was a later 1st rounder, Connor went 16th, Wheeler was traded for, Buff was traded for. Most of that team was built without top, top picks. The exception is Laine, and Winnipeg had to win the lottery to get him after finishing around 7th to last.
But Laine is the difference maker. That's my point. All those pieces are good, but w/o Laine they are prob at best like us fighting for a spot or middle of the pack. Being that high in the draft and knocking it out of the park turns and avg team into a contender. ie: Toronto (w/ Matthews), TB (w/ Stamkos), Winnipeg.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
i'd absolutely be willing to take on a bad contract to increase the return but it really depends on the rest of the deal. are we talking about taking on the contract and giving up additional 2nd round picks to jump from 11 to 5? or are we talking about taking on the contract to swap 1st straight up? to jump from 25ish to 5?
I'm assuming he meant trading our top pick if its around 11,12 plus taking ryans contract to grab ottawas top 5 pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad