'Draft and Develop' is working?

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
My main criticism is that they haven't drafted enough in these last few years. And at times have somewhat nerfed their own draft with shortsighted moves- moving down from 13 to 23 in 2017 just to hold onto Armia or Enstrom for one more season, the Kevin Hayes trade, moving 2 picks for Stanley. I could look past the Hayes trade eventhough at that time I felt it was illadvised but not the 2017 XD moves or the random midround picks they keep moving for nothing players like Zach Sanford.

The article even agrees with me. Almost all the successful picks they are pointing out were pre-2017, our record 2017 and later is not as impressive, granted part of it is due to not having high picks but another part is also due to not drafting enough.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
My main criticism is that they haven't drafted enough in these last few years. And at times have somewhat nerfed their own draft with shortsighted moves- moving down from 13 to 23 in 2017 just to hold onto Armia or Enstrom for one more season, the Kevin Hayes trade, moving 2 picks for Stanley. I could look past the Hayes trade eventhough at that time I felt it was illadvised but not the 2017 XD moves or the random midround picks they keep moving for nothing players like Zach Sanford.

The article even agrees with me. Almost all the successful picks they are pointing out were pre-2017, our record 2017 and later is not as impressive, granted part of it is due to not having high picks but another part is also due to not drafting enough.

Fair points. They did what most teams chasing a cup do and peddle picks for now players. Some of those worked well and some were waste of a good asset.

As far as players 2017 and onward we are starting to see some return on those picks.

Perfetti (granted high pick) is in our top 6 in his d plus 3 year.

Gus a second round pick from 2018 is rounding into a very good PK player and defensive Z that can win a faceoff.

Samberg is starting to gain traction as a shutdown dmen that can PK.

So we are still getting some players into the lineup that contribute. Sure it's not as exciting as the prospects we graduated 2013-17 but 5hen again we don't have as many key openings in the lineup as we had back then. Just ask Ville.

None

Feb 22, 2012
The Jets have similar, albeit less pronounced roster issues stemming from the same type of decisions that led the Blackhawks where they are today.

I think the article just emphasizes how much pro sports storylines are driven by what the team has done lately.

Reactions: surixon

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Here are the Jets 1st round picks for defensemen:
Trouba
Morrissey
Stanley
Heinola

- Trouba was drafted but basically arrived developed from the USNDP and Michigan. Good pick though.
- Morrissey spent a couple of years in Junior and a season with the Moose...so we'll call him officially "drafted and developed". Another good pick.
- Stanley was officially drafted and developed. Not sure he's more than a bottom pairing guy, but he's gotten tons of rope and time on the Moose and Jets. Seems like he's not a great 1st round pick, but he's not a bust.
- Heinola looks to be on the fast track to Bustville...or maybe Tradesville. I'd like to see him get the same amount of rope as Stanley did but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Here are the Jets defensive picks post 1st-round
2011:
Serville (3rd, 78) - bust
Yuen (4th, 119) - bust
Harstad (7, 187) - bust

2012:
None - who needs to draft defensemen when you have such promising young defensive prosp- hang on, I'm being told "the cupboards were bare!"

2013:
Kostalek (4, 114) - bust
Poolman (5, 127) ** - 3rd pairing
Kichton (7, 190) - bust
Karlstrom (7, 194) - bust

Glover (3, 69) - bust
Nogier (4, 101) - bust

Niku (7, 198) - bust

Green (3, 79) - bust
Cederholm (4, 97) - bust

Samberg (2, 43) * - promising, looks NHL ready
Kovacevic (3, 74) * - drafted, developed for 5 years, then gift wrapped to the Habs on waivers because the Jets couldn't bear the thought of...losing Capobianco?
Gawanke (5, 136) - no real NHL looks, but maybe promising?
Evingson (7, 211) - bust

Chisholm (5, 150) * - promising
Vallati (5, 153) - bust

Too soon to say for the rest of these guys:
Lundmark (2, 51)

Johannesson (5, 133)
Bauer (6, 164)

Kuzmin (3, 82)

Salomonsson (2, 55)
Brown (4, 99)

8583c302a064bd354dfa73ca3fd9df0f.jpg

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Here are the Jets 1st round picks for defensemen:
Trouba
Morrissey
Stanley
Heinola

- Trouba was drafted but basically arrived developed from the USNDP and Michigan. Good pick though.
- Morrissey spent a couple of years in Junior and a season with the Moose...so we'll call him officially "drafted and developed". Another good pick.
- Stanley was officially drafted and developed. Not sure he's more than a bottom pairing guy, but he's gotten tons of rope and time on the Moose and Jets. Seems like he's not a great 1st round pick, but he's not a bust.
- Heinola looks to be on the fast track to Bustville...or maybe Tradesville. I'd like to see him get the same amount of rope as Stanley did but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Here are the Jets defensive picks post 1st-round
2011:
Serville (3rd, 78) - bust
Yuen (4th, 119) - bust
Harstad (7, 187) - bust

2012:
None - who needs to draft defensemen when you have such promising young defensive prosp- hang on, I'm being told "the cupboards were bare!"

2013:
Kostalek (4, 114) - bust
Poolman (5, 127) ** - 3rd pairing
Kichton (7, 190) - bust
Karlstrom (7, 194) - bust

Glover (3, 69) - bust
Nogier (4, 101) - bust

Niku (7, 198) - bust

Green (3, 79) - bust
Cederholm (4, 97) - bust

Samberg (2, 43) * - promising, looks NHL ready
Kovacevic (3, 74) * - drafted, developed for 5 years, then gift wrapped to the Habs on waivers because the Jets couldn't bear the thought of...losing Capobianco?
Gawanke (5, 136) - no real NHL looks, but maybe promising?
Evingson (7, 211) - bust

Chisholm (5, 150) * - promising
Vallati (5, 153) - bust

Too soon to say for the rest of these guys:
Lundmark (2, 51)

Johannesson (5, 133)
Bauer (6, 164)

Kuzmin (3, 82)

Salomonsson (2, 55)
Brown (4, 99)

8583c302a064bd354dfa73ca3fd9df0f.jpg
I don't really get the Heinola and Stanley comparison, where you say Heinola hasn't been given the rope Stanley was. Stanley played 117 AHL games before he played his first NHL game at age 22. Heinola has played 71 AHL games along side 27 NHL games at age 21. At the same stage of development Stanley hadn't even sniffed the NHL, where Heinola is the first call up from the Moose. And we have a far better defense group now than when Stanley was on the Moose.

Reactions: LowLefty

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I don't really get the Heinola and Stanley comparison, where you say Heinola hasn't been given the rope Stanley was. Stanley played 117 AHL games before he played his first NHL game at age 22. Heinola has played 71 AHL games along side 27 NHL games at age 21. At the same stage of development Stanley hadn't even sniffed the NHL, where Heinola is the first call up from the Moose. And we have a far better defense group now than when Stanley was on the Moose.
I think the argument is, Ville deserves his shot now, not later, based on his AHL results -
I also think the fans are split on that take

Reactions: Eyeseeing

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think the argument is, Ville deserves his shot now, not later, based on his AHL results -
I also think the fans are split on that take
Unfortunately for Ville it is looking like we are going to be a competitive team this season with 5 established vets on D. He will get more games with injuries but he is depth at this point.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

from 2011-2017 they drafted well b/c they were customarily missing the POs and picking high. i believe @Gm0ney has the info, but from those 7 seasons they were only behind buffalo and edmonton (surprise surprise) as highest average 1st pick. so no doubt they've got good talent from those picks. they did a good job passing on hellebuyck the entire 2011 draft and selecting him in the 5th rd in 2012. as well as copp in 2013.

imo their d drafting has been pretty lack-luster to poor. morrissey and trouba were/are great for us. other than that not much. and it's not like teams do not find great dmen outside the 1st.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
from 2011-2017 they drafted well b/c they were customarily missing the POs and picking high. i believe @Gm0ney has the info, but from those 7 seasons they were only behind buffalo and edmonton (surprise surprise) as highest 1st pick. so no doubt they've got good talent from those picks. they did a good job passing on hellebuyck the entire 2011 draft and selecting him in the 5th rd in 2012. as well as copp in 2013.

imo their d drafting has been pretty lack-luster to poor. morrissey and trouba were/are great for us. other than that not much. and it's not like teams do not find great dmen outside the 1st.

Yeah, I think we know what to target for the most part in forwards. We've drafted enough good skill players and depth forwards that I'd say it's an organizational strength.

Goaltending they have drafted a franchise guy and a backup. So lmthey have been good there.

I do agree on defense though but I think we have started targeting the right players and types of players lately there. The question remains on whether we can successfully develop and integrate them.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad