Draft 2006 (players you want and don't want)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
Taking in cosideration your favorite team's drafting range, pick players you'd draft and players you wouldn't.

For the habs:

Drafting range: 12-18

I'd like:

Nigel Williams: We need a good D prospect and Williams iss exactly what the habs are looking for. A 2 way Dman with the potential to become a 1rst pairing dman.

Derrick Brassard: A speedy skilled center (our other problem). And he plays well with Latendresse.

James Sheppard: Could (I hope) slip to us. A big center with skills and a good 2-way game. Reminds me of Ryan O'mara but with more offensive upside.

Ty Wishart: A big defensive dman with some potential. A risky pick but could become a valuable player.

I don't want:

Bobby Snaguinetti: I only saw him two times but I have a bad felling about this guy. He's too soft and from what I saw he doesn't take good decision defensively (Williams is in the same boat, but I think that he has more tools than Sanguinetti) Reminds me a lot of Hainsey...

Kyle Okospo: I don't really hate this gy, but I don't think that he could become more than a good 3rd line checker in the Nhl and we already drafted Chipchura...

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh has almost pencilled in Johnson or Kessel. Now watch them go on a tear again this year like they did in 2003-4 the last 20 games. That said they could win all 20 and still pick top five, so if not Johnson/Kessel then one of the six or seven other top center prospects and move them to wing.

Roger's Pancreas*

I don't follow too many prospecs but I have Jordan Staal on my radar.

A player I don't want is that Jesse Joenssu(sp?), has not impressed me at all.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
Players i want for the wild...in the 10-14 range..

Bryan Little
Kyle Okposo
Derrick Brassard
James Sheppard

AgentNaslund*

like it or not, Canucks will end up making a "safe" pick and draft some dude that have good speed and size. Skill dont matter to em.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
As a realistic Red Wing fan, I realize that if Detroit keeps its pick it'll probably be somwhere around 25-30 and most likely 28-30.

If that's the case I'm willing to take a high risk on a guy that was hyped a year or so ago, perhaps a player like Vasyunov or Joenssu, I would also draft Frolik in a hearbeat if he ever fell that far but who am I kidding? Frolik will not go lower then 15th.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
AgentNaslund said:
like it or not, Canucks will end up making a "safe" pick and draft some dude that have good speed and size. Skill dont matter to em.

Unfortunately, you are right. :( Which sucks because we finally have good depth in D and G and could use a highly skilled forward.

Rather Gingerly 1*

Garp said:
For the habs:

Drafting range: 12-18

I'd like:

Nigel Williams: We need a good D prospect and Williams iss exactly what the habs are looking for. A 2 way Dman with the potential to become a 1rst pairing dman.

Derrick Brassard: A speedy skilled center (our other problem). And he plays well with Latendresse.

James Sheppard: Could (I hope) slip to us. A big center with skills and a good 2-way game. Reminds me of Ryan O'mara but with more offensive upside.

Ty Wishart: A big defensive dman with some potential. A risky pick but could become a valuable player.

FOr the Habs: Out of those four the only one that may still be on the board at around #16-18 is Wishart. Then we are looking at a guy who is 5 years away from the NHL and then a Brendan Witt clone. This draft is really weak after pick 7-8th overall.

Habs should deal a prospect, their #1 pick and a player and move up and try and hit the jackpot. If they can't....this is how I would try and pick if I was them;

1 st round - Wishart
2 nd round - Hillier
3 rd round - Giroux

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Not draft eligible, but I really would like the avs to sign Gabe Gauthier out of Denver at the conclusion of the NCAA season. Plays D and scores in the clutch. His downside is a useful farmhand.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Panthers 6-12

Players we do want :

Jordan Staal, has huge upsides, and if turns out anywhere near his brothers standard (he is better than Eric was at this point in their careers). He is a longterm project but will end up a top 5 player from this draft.
Michael Frolik, has upsides similar to Kessel, and will fall luckily for us, he was projected the 2nd overall pick before the start of the season. People only look at his stats and are really misjudged about his perfomances this year. Half the posters on this board are Pejorative Slurs just based on how Frolik has fallen below guys like Little.
Backstrom is great offensively, a safer pick than Kessel or Frolik. I doubt he falls to #6 though.
Williams would be great, huge Dman with offensive abilities. I think he will be the secondbest Dman in the draft after EJ and with the panthers lack of prospects (especially on D) he could really help the system.

Players i dont want :

Toews, doubt he fall to us but i think he is overated. Limited upsides compared to guys ranked below him, safe pick but will never be a star. Kinda guy who will be a great leader, but the panthers have plenty of young guys with potential leadership qualities, and we need offensive dynamites.
Mueller, i think he will be good but from what i know his upsides offensively are less than Staal, Frolik or a Backstrom and thats one of the panthers main needs.

bulat_faikov

Aug 5, 2004
Quebec
AgentNaslund said:

I don't agree with that, I think the Canucks have changed their philosophy. I've seen that from the way they pick players in the last 2 drafts and more particularlly in the lower rounds. Luc Bourdon, Mason Raymond, Alexander Edler, Alexandre Vincent, Jannick Hanssen and Cory Schneider were not considered safe pick IMO. I think the Canucks drafted safe pick players or two-way guys because that's what they really wanted to have thinking their first 2 lines were set at the time (Naslund's line and the Sedin's line). Now IMO they draft more for the future as they don't have direct needs they can adress trough the draft, which means they can draft the BPA.

As for the players I want or don't want... If I was to make the Canucks GM, I'd take the homerun chance if we draft later in the first round. Or I would definetely go for a trade and try to snap a guy like Brassard or Sheppard (which I like a lot) deppending on the price to pay.

X0ssbar

Jackets somewhere in the 4 - 8 range.

Assuming no trades up to nab EJ/Kessel then Mueller/Staal for me.

Vic Rattlehead*

Bruins: 8-14

Want:
James Sheppard
Nicklas Backstrom
Bryan Little

Don't want:
Vasyunov
Nigel Williams

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Assuming the Stars pick at the end of the first round(25-30), I want them to go after the best offensive talent on the board, like Vasyunov. However, knowing the Stars, they will trade down and pick up a gritty 2-way player, and then steal some guy from Finland in the later rounds.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
The Oilers need an top-2 offensive defenseman, and drafting anywhere from 12-20, they'll have a few options:

1. Sanguientti
2. Vishnevskiy
3. Shutron
4 .Ruzicka
5. Dowzak

I'd personally be happy with any of them, but only if the the player(s) ranked above them in that list are gone by the time the Oilers pick.

Another major need is skilled wingers. I expect Zharkov to be available by the time the Oilers pick, and I'd really like to have him.

In terms of players to avoid like the plague, Joensuu and Vasyunov are the usual suspects, but there's really no one else I'd not want to see get a chance- outside the first round.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
I want to see Jordan Staal go to Washington so that he can centre Ovechkin and play often against his brothers in the Eastern Conference (Eric in the Southwest Division, in particular)

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Mr Bugg said:
The Oilers need an top-2 offensive defenseman, and drafting anywhere from 12-20, they'll have a few options:

1. Sanguientti
2. Vishnevskiy
3. Shutron
4 .Ruzicka
5. Dowzak

I'd personally be happy with any of them, but only if the the player(s) ranked above them in that list are gone by the time the Oilers pick.

Another major need is skilled wingers. I expect Zharkov to be available by the time the Oilers pick, and I'd really like to have him.

In terms of players to avoid like the plague, Joensuu and Vasyunov are the usual suspects, but there's really no one else I'd not want to see get a chance- outside the first round.
Dowzak? Are you serious :D

Jori

Hasbro said:
Not draft eligible, but I really would like the avs to sign Gabe Gauthier out of Denver at the conclusion of the NCAA season. Plays D and scores in the clutch. His downside is a useful farmhand.
What he said...

I figure the Avs will be between the high teens to mid 20s. The Avs big weakness in their farm system is defense. I don't follow the draft close enough...can anybody offer suggestions on potential dmen who would be available towards the bottom third of the first round?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->