Downward spiral to oblivion: ERIC DUHATSCHEK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quantas

Feb 4, 2004
Ottawa
Intriguing article by Duhatschek (one of the few unbiased reporters out there, and one of the best IMO).

He talks about the decline of hockey and what started it all...the '94 Lockout.

Other contributing factors include:

1. Coaching
2. Refereeing
3. Dilution of talen (though he admits this is a somewhat controversial point)

He goes on to say that the new CBA, whenever it gets signed, won't cure everything, which might disillusion teams/owners who think that their competitiveness will be automatically increased.

However in the end "The lockout of 1994-95 put the league on a slow, downward spiral to oblivion. Provided they really think this process through, the lockout of 2004-05 can do just the opposite - and have a cleansing, cathartic effect on a game and an industry gone sour."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050225.weric25/BNStory/Sports/?pageRequested=2

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
As salaries skyrocketed, the game the players were playing got worse...GB has to take some of the responsibility, but I think the players should also take more than the lions share, they are the one's clutching and grabbing...The 94 lockout was when Bob Goodenow was able to convince the PA that he was their saviour, and they bought it, and for all the good he did for them then, he has erased it all this year...

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
That was a good read, thanks for sharing!

It was a little sad reading the part about Jagr. The write is totally right though, the change is beyond obvious. You can tell the game just isn't fun anymore.

Enough blame, owners and players, restore this game to it's former greatness....please!!!

A Good Flying Bird*

BLONG7 said:
GB has to take some of the responsibility, but I think the players should also take more than the lions share, they are the one's clutching and grabbing......

Players that don't clutch and grab are benched in favor of "defensively responsible" forwards.
So come on. At least appear to be attempting fairness.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
He is right from where I sit. I had been missing the mid-nineties hockey a lot. Many teams played air-tight defensive hockey (New Jersey ) but it did not result in a snoozefest it did in 2000s. In fact, because of that I do feel I am missing all that much with this lockout. And it also makes me cringe when I think what kind of hockey to expect with the replacement players.

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
The NHL got obstruction obsession over the few seasons following the 95 Cup, and most teams began choreographing all kinds of set breakout plays to counter the trap. Skating most certainly returned to the game in the late 90's, but there was too much meaningless cycling in the offensive end with the nets moved out too far. I think the game kept changing and speed returned, but it was evasive speed used with defensive motivation, with and against the puck.
It's hard to believe that, with the great influx of European talent since 1990, that there aren't more difference makers. Unless their talent is just held in captivity by the enormous financial pressure associated with the league in the new-arena era.
On one level, the tweaks in the game have forced players to move, play and cheat differently, but the one place where Eric hits the nail on the head is the mentality has never recovered - players are not reinforced for creating, they're only reinforced for not hurting their teams - the courage to try to invent is gone. If there's a lack of talent among 30 teams, it's in that regard. But I'm of the belief that the players we like so much in prior eras would have been similarly muzzled.

Last edited:

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
Behn Wilson said:
You can sum it all up in that hockey has become too Sutter'ized.

Sutter'ized for could be a synonym for dull boring boring hockey. Especially Brian as a coach.

I couldn't disagree with this statement more. Sutter believes and coaches relentless puck pursuit and bringing it to the net when you get it. Granted, he's never been about the finesse. His industrial version of north-south, old time hockey always means a lot of dump and chase, but it beats the crap out of the trapping we've seen from so many teams on so many nights.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
doc5hole said:
I couldn't disagree with this statement more. Sutter believes and coaches relentless puck pursuit and bringing it to the net when you get it. Granted, he's never been about the finesse. His industrial version of north-south, old time hockey always means a lot of dump and chase, but it beats the crap out of the trapping we've seen from so many teams on so many nights.

Sutter is as one dimensional of a coach as there is. He will play plodders like Scott Nichols over the more offensively talented players. He would load his lineup with 12 veteran mucker and grinders if he had his way. ANd he has his defense always throw the puck off the boards rather than trying to skate or pass it up the middle. His style is as safe and conservative as they come. He is despised by the hardcore Hawk fans.

Phanuthier*

Eric D is definatly the best in the biz IMO

Behn Wilson said:
Sutter is as one dimensional of a coach as there is. He will play plodders like Scott Nichols over the more offensively talented players. He would load his lineup with 12 veteran mucker and grinders if he had his way. ANd he has his defense always throw the puck off the boards rather than trying to skate or pass it up the middle. His style is as safe and conservative as they come. He is despised by the hardcore Hawk fans.

Brian Sutter and Darryl Sutter are two totally different coaches. Brian Sutter seems to stress only "work hard" why Darryl has a more tactical approach and hockey reasoning.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Behn Wilson said:
You can sum it all up in that hockey has become too Sutter'ized.

Sutter'ized for could be a synonym for dull boring boring hockey.

Didn't watch the Flames march last playoffs did you? If that was boring hockey then I hope I get to watch boring hockey forever!

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Splatman Phanutier said:
Eric D is definatly the best in the biz IMO

Brian Sutter and Darryl Sutter are two totally different coaches. Brian Sutter seems to stress only "work hard" why Darryl has a more tactical approach and hockey reasoning.

Agreed. Daryl was an effective coach while with the Hawks too though I wish he would have opened it up a little more back then. Roenick used to complain they played too conservatively but then again when didnt JR have an opinion on anything. (Im a huge JR fan!)

Brian is completely worthless as a coach, especially with young players (unless they are grinders). He has NO patience with them.

Other Dave

Jan 7, 2003
New and improved in TO
Visit site
A well-written article. Unfortunately it's just more of the same, old "blow away the clouds to see the stars". It'll last exactly as long as the owners of the weaker teams take to notice their attendance dropping.

Phanuthier*

Behn Wilson said:
Brian is completely worthless as a coach, especially with young players (unless they are grinders). He has NO patience with them.
I wouldn't say Brian is worthless as a coach. If he were coaching the Rangers, I think he'd do a good job. IMO he would be the best coach for New York if they were looking for a head coach. (Saying that, I don't think Brian would do a very good job with any team other then the Rangers..)

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Splatman Phanutier said:
I wouldn't say Brian is worthless as a coach. If he were coaching the Rangers, I think he'd do a good job. IMO he would be the best coach for New York if they were looking for a head coach. (Saying that, I don't think Brian would do a very good job with any team other then the Rangers..)

Brian Sutter is like milk. He should come with an expiration date. His act wears thin very quickly with sll the yelling and screaming. Plus he isnt much of a strategist, his stategy consists of "just work hard"...

He accomplishes some at the beginning then his teams go downhill as they gradually tune him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad