Downie Suspended Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
What happened Saturday was the Petes were up 5-1 with under 5 to go in the third, and for some reason Downie went after Martine for Mississauga. Downie started punching, so Martine had to as well. Martine won the fight (not that it was much of a fight, but Martine clearly controlled) and then the refs stepped in. As the ref was holding Martine's arms down, Downie threw another punch long after the fight was over. That got him the agressor penalty because Martine was defenseless. The instigator means automatic 2 games, the agressor another 2. But since Downie did the same thing in Belleville and got 5 games, he's probably going to get closer to 10 this time given his history and the cheap shot.

Last edited:

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
WillardJFredricks said:
What happened Saturday was the Petes were up 5-1 with under 5 to go in the third, and for some reason Downie went after Martine for Mississauga. Downie started punching, so Martine had to as well. Martine won the fight (not that it was much of a fight, but Martine clearly controlled) and then the refs stepped in. As the ref was holding Martine's arms down, Downie through another punch long after the fight was over. That got him the agressor penalty because Martine was defenseless. The instigator means automatic 2 games, the agressor another 2. But since Downie did the same thing in Belleville and got 5 games, he's probably going to get closer to 10 this time given his history and the cheap shot.

So that's why this thread has been bumped!

I didn't see the game on Saturday so I'll have to take your word for it.

I still can't believe that people are comparing him to Theo Fleury. For one thing, Fleury was 5'6" at the best of times and overcame a lot more than Downie will have to to make the NHL. And another, which has been posted many times on these boards, is that Downie has as much offensive creativity in his blood as I do in my ***.

And no, my *** is not the "next Crosby".

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
WillardJFredricks said:
What happened Saturday was the Petes were up 5-1 with under 5 to go in the third, and for some reason Downie went after Martine for Mississauga. Downie started punching, so Martine had to as well. Martine won the fight (not that it was much of a fight, but Martine clearly controlled) and then the refs stepped in. As the ref was holding Martine's arms down, Downie through another punch long after the fight was over. That got him the agressor penalty because Martine was defenseless. The instigator means automatic 2 games, the agressor another 2. But since Downie did the same thing in Belleville and got 5 games, he's probably going to get closer to 10 this time given his history and the cheap shot.

Wow, what a ****in *******. I'll enjoy watching him try and pull this crap in the NHL.

Randall Graves*

hmm what will Downie's excuse be this time.

"oh I promise I didn't mean it"

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
USA! said:
Jack should have hit him harder so he knows what its like to be on the other end of a cheap shot :yo:

watching Downie drop so fast was utterly priceless :clap:

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
arrbez said:
um...Theo Fleury was an all-star...

Sean Avery would be a little closer IMO

fair enough

i was leaning more towards the theo in his last year in the NHL, not the theo we all knew and loved

another good comparison would be Milton Bradley (MLB)

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
JohnnyW10 said:
wow, this guy has all the talent in the world to be a full blown nhl'er except he keeps embarrasing himself over and over again with these shannagans.

This is the misconception.

Downie needs to have this element to make up for what is reall minimal NHL talent.

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
Jon Prescription said:
Wow, what a ****in *******. I'll enjoy watching him try and pull this crap in the NHL.

He'll pull this just like lots of players pull this in the NHL. Players don't get the extra 2 games for a late punch in a fight like this in the NHL, it happens quite a bit. And he gets 2 for instigating a fight about 50 seconds late. Big deal.

Downie plays on the edge, he'll get in trouble for it some times. But I don't mind that at all. The Flyers need a player like this.

I mean really, if this had happened a minute earlier in the NHL, Downie doesn't get suspended.

mytor4*

Brock said:
He was definitely a lockerroom cancer for team Canada this year in their gold medal run, in which he was the teams best forward. He's also been a lockerroom cancer for the 2nd ranked CHL Peterborough Petes. Clearly his teammates don't seem to have a problem playing with him.

Downie is a player who plays on the edge every shift. With any player like that, you are going to get instances like this occuring.

all i can say is thank you jj.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
paxtang said:
He'll pull this just like lots of players pull this in the NHL. Players don't get the extra 2 games for a late punch in a fight like this in the NHL, it happens quite a bit. And he gets 2 for instigating a fight about 50 seconds late. Big deal.

Downie plays on the edge, he'll get in trouble for it some times. But I don't mind that at all. The Flyers need a player like this.

I mean really, if this had happened a minute earlier in the NHL, Downie doesn't get suspended.

If it happened like the poster is making it out to be (IE Downey hits him after the guy is already restrained by a ref and is helpless) than I bet you DO see a suspension.

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
Jon Prescription said:
If it happened like the poster is making it out to be (IE Downey hits him after the guy is already restrained by a ref and is helpless) than I bet you DO see a suspension.

********. It all depends on the situation. Lots of times in fights a player throws a late punch after the linesmen come in. I mean really, watch some fights, it happens quite often. If the player is prone on the ice and he get's his face filled in KO'ing him, maybe. But one late shot? That's just the OHL being the OHL. THey have differnt standards than the NHL.

Hell, look at any fight involving Keving Collins. Late hits galor.

I swear, if Dave Brown was in the NHL right now, the collective posters on this site woudl pass out.

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
Wild GM said:
Brownie was an honest fighter. Now...Todd Ewen......

LOL, except he jumped nearly everyone, would beat you on the ice, almost killed Kyte, tried to step on peoples hands with his skates, crosschecked people in the face. He was a dirty, wonderful fighter. Loved the guy.

edit: i guess rapidshare files can't be posted here. just go to hockeyfights.com, search in clips. peruse, join the site, learn something (not you in particular, mostly jonprescription)

posted by grifter077 over at hockeyfights, among a plethora of other fights. Involves a jumping by Probert and several late hits by shoebottom. Murderers!

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
RUSqueelin said:
Buddy, no offense, we'll drop the subject right now cause I refuse to relive the topic and hijack the thread, but read up and get a clue.
I know what your hinting at and you are correct.

I have talked to players off the spits and they told the REAL story. Everyone stuck up for him when the Aliu stuff happened. There's a reason for that! im not gonna get into the details but Aliu didn't show anyone respect. Hazing allegations aside let's just drop it.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
ktownhockey said:
I know what your hinting at and you are correct.

I have talked to players off the spits and they told the REAL story. Everyone stuck up for him when the Aliu stuff happened. There's a reason for that! im not gonna get into the details but Aliu didn't show anyone respect. Hazing allegations aside let's just drop it.

allegations?! it happened bro. and it was sickening. wake up.

and yeah, they stuck up for Downie cuz Aliu is a snot nosed punk, but that doesnt mean its justified :rolleyes:

stockwizard*

I think few here realise that Downie has a very limited talent.
He's had a tough life, he's chippy, big deal. Alot of guys are like that. In a way I respect it.
Having said that however, he is a poor, poor skater and I would be surprised if you ever saw him in the NHL.

Jakethesnake

May 27, 2003
Sydney
Visit site
Do people really think that a 20/21/22 yr old Downie will be a "Cancer" in locker rooms?? If hes being a cancer, one of his teammates will beat the snot out of him. Do you think veteren teammates will sit around and let him be a ********?

As for when he gets older, I would hope by then that he realsies he is a professional and mellows out a little bit.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
He should get some elder advice from Mike Danton. All he needs is the right agent and he'd be set.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Metallian said:
And if all the teammembers stuck up for him, why did Downie request a trade out of there?

Well Mr. Metallian maybe a better question would be why did the 16 year old he had the beef with request a trade out of there as soon as first rounders could be traded

The answer, the Spit players all lost respect for him and hated him after the Downie incident

AndersEriksson*

Jon Prescription said:

Chara vs. Ivanans

Did you see a suspension? :teach:

RayLeeCharles

Aug 31, 2005
WaSt
Seriously let up on the hazing crap, it happens in every junior league and begins in bantams. Downie reminds me alot of TooToo, walks the line on the ice and has had a rough life off it. Last time I checked lockerroom cancers bring teams down and arent liked by the only people that matter in their given sport. Downies on a top rated team in the Petes, and judging by all the support of his mates in Windsor and now with his current team, those things that make a cancerous players dont really apply to Downie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad