Doughty
Provorov
Ghost
Sanheim/Myers
Gudas
Morin
Hagg
———————
Voroboyev, NAK, Allison, Ratcliffe, Lacyznski, Strome, 5 other B prospects, 2018 picks, 2019 picks.

That’s not including Wayne Simmonds who you could put on the bottom 6 or imagine another 1st round pick+.

You could sign a cheap 4th liner, they’re available every single year. You could use Pittsburgh as an example, but their defense over the last 2 years would pale in comparison to the one listed above. There are more ways than one to win a cup.

In regards to Giroux carrying the offense, Patrick and Konecny should take a much larger role starting next year. Even you know that point doesn’t hold any value in this discussion.

You also aren’t factoring in the impact that adding Drew Doughty will have on the team’s offensive production and the fact that they’d have a number 1 defenseman on the ice for 80% of the game.

Simmonds shouldnt be here. And if we get Doughty, we certainly wont be able to afford him.

Doughty is a luxury, not a need, and we arent at that stage yet where adding him puts us over the top.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

member 147413

Doughty is not being traded in a deal where the only NHL regular is Andrew MacDonald.

terry01

Mar 15, 2018
sub'd to this threadhttp://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/35/o.png

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Given how the last few years went in LA and with most of their core hitting 30, Doughty staying doesn’t seem as much of a lock. With the assets Philadelphia holds, where they’re trending, and the history between Hextall/Lombardi and Doughty/Los Angeles, it seems like a perfect fit.

Travis Sanheim/Phil Myers+St. Louis 1st+Philadelphia 1st+German Rubtsov+Andrew MacDonald for Drew Doughty.

Flyers pass very easy.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Simmonds shouldnt be here. And if we get Doughty, we certainly wont be able to afford him.

Doughty is a luxury, not a need, and we arent at that stage yet where adding him puts us over the top.

Doughty is not being traded in a deal where the only NHL regular is Andrew MacDonald.

OK, let's see if we can address both of those factors.

The Flyers, if we trade Simmonds, would expect a forward prospect and a #1 coming back for him. The Kings want an NHL regular coming back. Conveniently, there's a forward prospect and a #1 in this deal, which we might consider equivalent value for Simmonds.

Flyers get: Drew Doughty
Kings get: Wayne Simmonds, Phil Myers, PHI 2018 #1, Andrew MacDonald

That gives the Kings an NHL regular of fairly significant value back, along with a great defensive prospect and a pick, plus someone to eat a few minutes on the blue line (just don't use him in your top 2 pairings.) For the Flyers, we add a perennial Norris-level defenseman, use Simmonds to retain a #1 and a forward prospect (essentially turning Rubtsov and a pick into the return for Wayne), and open up a slot on the RW to try out Aube-Kubel, who seems to be ready to move up to the NHL.

As for the issue of our bottom 6, there are bottom 6 guys in free agency every year. We should sign a couple to show-me deals this year and next, and if the young kids beat them out, perfect. If not, let the street vets beat out Lehtera, Weise, and the other plugs, until we figure out which of our young kids really do have what it takes.

Reactions: captainpaxil

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
I’d decline. Only way I’m targeting Doughty is if he makes it to free agency. Great player without a doubt but I’d rather stick to the plan. Simmonds I’d trade at this point

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
OK, let's see if we can address both of those factors.

The Flyers, if we trade Simmonds, would expect a forward prospect and a #1 coming back for him. The Kings want an NHL regular coming back. Conveniently, there's a forward prospect and a #1 in this deal, which we might consider equivalent value for Simmonds.

Flyers get: Drew Doughty
Kings get: Wayne Simmonds, Phil Myers, PHI 2018 #1, Andrew MacDonald

That gives the Kings an NHL regular of fairly significant value back, along with a great defensive prospect and a pick, plus someone to eat a few minutes on the blue line (just don't use him in your top 2 pairings.) For the Flyers, we add a perennial Norris-level defenseman, use Simmonds to retain a #1 and a forward prospect (essentially turning Rubtsov and a pick into the return for Wayne), and open up a slot on the RW to try out Aube-Kubel, who seems to be ready to move up to the NHL.

As for the issue of our bottom 6, there are bottom 6 guys in free agency every year. We should sign a couple to show-me deals this year and next, and if the young kids beat them out, perfect. If not, let the street vets beat out Lehtera, Weise, and the other plugs, until we figure out which of our young kids really do have what it takes.

...or, we dont rush things and mess them up like we've done over the last 20 years. Put me in that party. Doughty would need to come here via Free agency for me to be interested.

Reactions: pmwlker

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
...or, we dont rush things and mess them up like we've done over the last 20 years. Put me in that party. Doughty would need to come here via Free agency for me to be interested.

One trade, for a defenseman of Doughty's age and caliber, isn't rushing things; it's a big step in the right direction if the price is right. Under pretty much any other circumstances, I'd absolutely be with you on waiting and letting the kids develop, but Doughty's exactly the right player to add, and the price being talked about here (only 2 future assets, in the version I proposed, one of whom might be blocked by Doughty anyway) is far from onerous, provided we're talking Myers and not Sanheim.

If he does somehow get to free agency, though, and we don't line up a massive offer for him, I'll be pissed.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
One trade, for a defenseman of Doughty's age and caliber, isn't rushing things; it's a big step in the right direction if the price is right. Under pretty much any other circumstances, I'd absolutely be with you on waiting and letting the kids develop, but Doughty's exactly the right player to add, and the price being talked about here (only 2 future assets, in the version I proposed, one of whom might be blocked by Doughty anyway) is far from onerous, provided we're talking Myers and not Sanheim.

If he does somehow get to free agency, though, and we don't line up a massive offer for him, I'll be pissed.

We have to keep in mind that the looming Seattle ED is going to complicate things as well. A trade for Doughty leaves one of Konecny, Morin, Lindblom, etc, exposed. Small fish in comparison to Doughty, for sure, but still something to consider.

Your proposal also assumes a team who just traded their best player away, with no-one anywhere close to his level available to replace him on the team, would be interested in a 30 year old UFA in Simmonds. I would be utterly baffled if that were the case. If Doughty goes, they need an impact defenseman back, or they need to full on rebuild, in which case Simmonds likely has little value.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
The Flyers aren't a Doughty away from winnibg the SC. Paying all that for him is inane.
TG Hextall has a clearer mind than those posters all gung-ho about setting back the rebuild 5 years.

Reactions: pmwlker

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Just a crazy theory but I think Simmonds and Doughty are going to pull a Parise/Suter move and both sign with same team, just don't know where but Vegas or Vancouver is a good bet

This is not the result I wanted dammit apparently this website is outside my technical ability

Attachments

• mscott.jpg
    mscott.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 159

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
If Hextall makes a trade for Drew Doughty, he better have another trade for an above average goalie in the works, and a crystal ball that shows all prospects hitting the ground running too. Because even with 6 drew doughty's, this team in its current state would still struggle.
What would you give us for Jonathan Quick?

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
The Flyers aren't a Doughty away from winnibg the SC. Paying all that for him is inane.
TG Hextall has a clearer mind than those posters all gung-ho about setting back the rebuild 5 years.

Please explain how this trade sets them back 5 years.

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011
Given how the last few years went in LA and with most of their core hitting 30, Doughty staying doesn’t seem as much of a lock. With the assets Philadelphia holds, where they’re trending, and the history between Hextall/Lombardi and Doughty/Los Angeles, it seems like a perfect fit.

Travis Sanheim/Phil Myers+St. Louis 1st+Philadelphia 1st+German Rubtsov+Andrew MacDonald for Drew Doughty.

Stop posting ! If you think this is a good trade then you don't know hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad