Proposal: Doughty to Philadelphia

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Given how the last few years went in LA and with most of their core hitting 30, Doughty staying doesn’t seem as much of a lock. With the assets Philadelphia holds, where they’re trending, and the history between Hextall/Lombardi and Doughty/Los Angeles, it seems like a perfect fit.

Travis Sanheim/Phil Myers+St. Louis 1st+Philadelphia 1st+German Rubtsov+Andrew MacDonald for Drew Doughty.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
You mean Doughty whose team is down 3-0 in their series is going tranform the Flyers into Cup Finalists? About a 75% overpayment for player with one. year on this contract. (Please don't say it's a non existent sign and trade).

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
You mean Doughty whose team is down 3-0 in their series is going tranform the Flyers into Cup Finalists? About a 75% overpayment for player with one. year on this contract. (Please don't say it's a non existent sign and trade).

Yes adding a Norris winner and future Hall of Famer to this roster puts the Flyers in the upper echelon of the East.

Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek
Laughton-Frost-Simmonds/Trade

Sanheim-Doughty
Provorov-Ghost
Morin/Hagg-Gudas

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I would do that as a Flyers fan IF doughty was likely to stay long term.

Provorov-Ghost
Morin-Doughty
Sanheim-Gudas
Hagg

Thats an elite defense for the next 5 plus years...especially with Ghost's steal of a contract.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Take out a first this year and I would do it even if it means the Flyers have to eat some of AMacs contract. The Flyers need a 1st rounder to add another forward prospect IMO but my god I would love to have Doughty around to groom Provorov because he plays such a similar game. I think it would be great for him.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Yes adding a Norris winner and future Hall of Famer to this roster puts the Flyers in the upper echelon of the East.

I wish folks would base the their argument on what Doughty would bring to the Flyers next year and for one year only. If you really think for 2018/19 Doughty is gonna make all that much difference fine. But it certainly isn't for any years after that.
Doughty goes back home to LA. (yes that is his home) and with all those young assets that were traded, the Kings are now a good team for years and the Flyers are in worse position than they are now. So you as a Flyer do you really want to that trade?

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007

Hextall would never trade for Doughty unless he knew he’d sign here long term. It doesn’t make any sense to view this trade through that lense.

And Doughty is a Norris winning superstar in his prime, of course he’s going to change the look of the franchise. Chris Pronger went to three different teams during his career and they all went to the Stanley Cup Finals in his first year. Doughty is a better player right now than what Pronger was when the Flyers acquired him.

Throw in the fact that Provorov will be able to handle all the tough minutes during the regular season and it would extend Doughty’s prime by several years.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Why are you so sure Doughty wouldn't resign in Philly? Do you know him or something? A lot of players make their home where they're drafted and play the first 10 years of their career. It's talked about all the time on these boards how a player is going to go to a team for a year, collect assets for their former team and then refuse to resign so they can go back "home" the following year but it never happens.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Just a crazy theory but I think Simmonds and Doughty are going to pull a Parise/Suter move and both sign with same team, just don't know where but Vegas or Vancouver is a good bet

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Why are you so sure Doughty wouldn't resign in Philly? Do you know him or something? A lot of players make their home where they're drafted and play the first 10 years of their career. It's talked about all the time on these boards how a player is going to go to a team for a year, collect assets for their former team and then refuse to resign so they can go back "home" the following year but it never happens.

Yeah I’m with you on this. A long term deal would already be agreed to before this trade went down anyway, it would just have to wait until July 1. If Doughty expresses he’s testing free agency, the Flyers don’t consider this move.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Given how the last few years went in LA and with most of their core hitting 30, Doughty staying doesn’t seem as much of a lock. With the assets Philadelphia holds, where they’re trending, and the history between Hextall/Lombardi and Doughty/Los Angeles, it seems like a perfect fit.

Travis Sanheim/Phil Myers+St. Louis 1st+Philadelphia 1st+German Rubtsov+Andrew MacDonald for Drew Doughty.

No.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Doughty is great and all, but this team's problem is forward depth. And while a good portion of that should be fulfilled from the ranks in Lehigh, nothing is ever guaranteed. Penciling in all those prospects (as good as they are) as a good bottom 6 is being quite generous.

It won't matter what defensive pairs are on the ice if we can only play 1, and sometimes 2 (depends on which Voracek shows up) forward lines.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

tenor.gif

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The real issue is that so many of these wishful Doughty trades and others are dependent on the almost meaningless sign and trade. So the Kings reach an agreement with Flyers with a trade. Then the Kings tell Doughty, make a deal with the Flyers (if he wants to). So he talks with the Flyers and gauges what his extension price is. Doughty for whatever says no, now he his to go back to play with Kings, who have told him "we don't really want you now."
Of course then the Kings go to another team for a trade and the process starts again. "Do these sign and trades one year out from the expiration of a contract seem at all realistic?

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
The real issue is that so many of these wishful Doughty trades and others are dependent on the almost meaningless sign and trade. So the Kings reach an agreement with Flyers with a trade. Then the Kings tell Doughty, make a deal with the Flyers (if he wants to). So he talks with the Flyers and gauges what his extension price is. Doughty for whatever says no, now he his to go back to play with Kings, who have told him "we don't really want you now."
Of course then the Kings go to another team for a trade and the process starts again. "Do these sign and trades one year out from the expiration of a contract seem at all realistic?

The Flyers did it with a Pronger.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Doughty is great and all, but this team's problem is forward depth. And while a good portion of that should be fulfilled from the ranks in Lehigh, nothing is ever guaranteed. Penciling in all those prospects (as good as they are) as a good bottom 6 is being quite generous.

It won't matter what defensive pairs are on the ice if we can only play 1, and sometimes 2 (depends on which Voracek shows up) forward lines.

I saw that Lehtera snipe on Lundqvist a couple months back. I don't know how you can question depth with a speedster like that scratched :sarcasm:

No realistically though you aren't wrong, alot of the best teams in the league right now have some sort of phenomenal 2nd/3rd wave of scoring to complement their primary. Although what I will say is that Doughty is the type of dman who will increase production from the forwards as well as reduce production from opponents and can ultimately be part of that 2nd wave. The Flyers top 6 forwards are pretty damn good (G, Simmonds, Voracek, Konecny, Patrick, Couturier) I do agree that the complementary pieces that are thrown around them are pretty shaky. As known too consistent goaltending would also help you guys out, although Hart looks to be a future answer to that question as long as nothing goes wrong.

Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I saw that Lehtera snipe on Lundqvist a couple months back. I don't know how you can question depth with a speedster like that scratched :sarcasm:

No realistically though you aren't wrong, alot of the best teams in the league right now have some sort of phenomenal 2nd/3rd wave of scoring to complement their primary. Although what I will say is that Doughty is the type of dman who will increase production from the forwards as well as reduce production from opponents and can ultimately be part of that 2nd wave. The Flyers top 6 forwards are pretty damn good (G, Simmonds, Voracek, Konecny, Patrick, Couturier) I do agree that the complementary pieces that are thrown around them are pretty shaky. As known too consistent goaltending would also help you guys out, although Hart looks to be a future answer to that question as long as nothing goes wrong.

Our top 6 would be nice if our moronic coach would just play people where they should be played, instead of boneheaded moves like Raffl in the top 6 and Konecny in the bottom, but I digress.

I think the hope is that Frost brings a more offensive presence to the third line, and that we have some players that can support him in doing so. I'm just trying to be cautious about expecting him to come in and be a 50 point center, and all the other kids to come in and be 40 point payers around him as well.

Hart should be the answer in net moving forward. It'll probably take two years for that to happen though. I wouldnt be against a short term solution to upgrade there, but im also of the mindset that we're rebuilding and it is what it. I'm probably more willing to be patient than a lot of my brethren. If we could find a low cost option, sure. But i don't know what would realistically be available.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Hextall and Lombardi traded the number 1 prospect in hockey(Schenn), Wayne Simmonds, Jack Johnson, and multiple high picks for Carter and Richards in 2011-2012. Those trades won them two Stanley cups. They were also both extremely familiar with Carter/Richards.

He’s drafted and developed prospects for the last 4-5 seasons. Do you think he’s going to wait another 3 years for these draft picks to possibly make an impact when Giroux and Voracek begin to enter their mid-30’s?

I’m not saying he’s Paul Holmgren and trading picks and prospects for Pavel Kubina. This is a future Hall of Famer in the prime of his career who’s he’s won Cups with. You’re crazy if you don’t think Hextall would be involved in this if Doughty were to become available.

Hextall himself has said that there’s a time to make additions to his roster. He let this team grow for the last 2-3 years without giving them any help. Whether it’s this summer, the trade deadline, or next summer, some picks and prospects are going to be moved.

Lastly, Drew Doughty is going to be elite for the foreseeable future. He isn’t trading these assets for a 33 year old. There likely won’t be a player available in the next 10 years that peaks Hextall’s interest as much as Doughty. Yes, Hextall loves picks and prospects. I’m willing to bet he likes Drew Doughty more.

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

If that deal, with Myers as the option rather than Sanheim, were agreed to by LA, I would expect Hextall to be speeding to LA to strike a long-term deal with Doughty. Rubtsov's value is iffy after a so-so season, though. I would expect LA to aim higher, like Konecny or Lindblom or Morgan Frost.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Hextall and Lombardi traded the number 1 prospect in hockey(Schenn), Wayne Simmonds, Jack Johnson, and multiple high picks for Carter and Richards in 2011-2012. Those trades won them two Stanley cups. They were also both extremely familiar with Carter/Richards.

He’s drafted and developed prospects for the last 4-5 seasons. Do you think he’s going to wait another 3 years for these draft picks to possibly make an impact when Giroux and Voracek begin to enter their mid-30’s?

I’m not saying he’s Paul Holmgren and trading picks and prospects for Pavel Kubina. This is a future Hall of Famer in the prime of his career who’s he’s won Cups with. You’re crazy if you don’t think Hextall would be involved in this if Doughty were to become available.

Hextall himself has said that there’s a time to make additions to his roster. He let this team grow for the last 2-3 years without giving them any help. Whether it’s this summer, the trade deadline, or next summer, some picks and prospects are going to be moved.

Lastly, Drew Doughty is going to be elite for the foreseeable future. He isn’t trading these assets for a 33 year old. There likely won’t be a player available in the next 10 years that peaks Hextall’s interest as much as Doughty. Yes, Hextall loves picks and prospects. I’m willing to bet he likes Drew Doughty more.

If Hextall makes a trade for Drew Doughty, he better have another trade for an above average goalie in the works, and a crystal ball that shows all prospects hitting the ground running too. Because even with 6 drew doughty's, this team in its current state would still struggle.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
If Hextall makes a trade for Drew Doughty, he better have another trade for an above average goalie in the works, and a crystal ball that shows all prospects hitting the ground running too. Because even with 6 drew doughty's, this team in its current state would still struggle.

Their top 6 is set for 4-5 years. Frost looks like a pretty safe lock to be a very good middle 6 center. They’d have to fill out 2-3 spots up front and have about 6-8 prospects to do so. They don’t need to become impact players either.

I’ll take my chances that 2-3 of that group can become contributors and if they somehow all fail, it is much easier to acquire 4th liners via free agency than other roles.

Also, you don’t NEED to find an immediate upgrade in goal. I think that Hextall would lean that way until Hart is ready, but Doughty is 28. In 3 years he’ll still be elite. He’s a player that can grow with the core, he isn’t the final piece.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Their top 6 is set for 4-5 years. Frost looks like a pretty safe lock to be a very good middle 6 center. They’d have to fill out 2-3 spots up front and have about 6-8 prospects to do so. They don’t need to become impact players either.

I’ll take my chances that 2-3 of that group can become contributors and if they somehow all fail, it is much easier to acquire 4th liners via free agency than other roles.

Also, you don’t NEED to find an immediate upgrade in goal. I think that Hextall would lean that way until Hart is ready, but Doughty is 28. In 3 years he’ll still be elite. He’s a player that can grow with the core, he isn’t the final piece.

2-3? that entire bottom 6 needs to be replaced, with the exception of Laughton. You're putting a lot of hope on finding 5 good bottom 6'ers in out prospect pool. Its deep, but i dont expect them all to pan out to ceilings, either. to say you dont need an impactful bottom 6 is crazy, as well. Especially when the top 6 arent consistent enough to carry the team, as evidenced by this series with Pittsburgh.

Hart is a minimum of two years away.

the future defense should be good enough that adding Doughty would be a luxury, not a need. What we need is a more balanced attack, and not relying on one player for 40% of our offense.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
2-3? that entire bottom 6 needs to be replaced, with the exception of Laughton. You're putting a lot of hope on finding 5 good bottom 6'ers in out prospect pool. Its deep, but i dont expect them all to pan out to ceilings, either. to say you dont need an impactful bottom 6 is crazy, as well. Especially when the top 6 arent consistent enough to carry the team, as evidenced by this series with Pittsburgh.

Hart is a minimum of two years away.

the future defense should be good enough that adding Doughty would be a luxury, not a need. What we need is a more balanced attack, and not relying on one player for 40% of our offense.

Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek
X-Frost-X
X-Laughton-X

Doughty
Provorov
Ghost
Sanheim/Myers
Gudas
Morin
Hagg
———————
Voroboyev, NAK, Allison, Ratcliffe, Lacyznski, Strome, 5 other B prospects, 2018 picks, 2019 picks.

That’s not including Wayne Simmonds who you could put on the bottom 6 or imagine another 1st round pick+.

You could sign a cheap 4th liner, they’re available every single year. You could use Pittsburgh as an example, but their defense over the last 2 years would pale in comparison to the one listed above. There are more ways than one to win a cup.

In regards to Giroux carrying the offense, Patrick and Konecny should take a much larger role starting next year. Even you know that point doesn’t hold any value in this discussion.

You also aren’t factoring in the impact that adding Drew Doughty will have on the team’s offensive production and the fact that they’d have a number 1 defenseman on the ice for 80% of the game.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad