Doughty Hit on Carrier (UPD: Suspended One Game)

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

He's right. DoPS want to be consistent now? Suspend the others. Don't want to look biased now do we?

RG0BS1U.gif

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Yup, there better be some suspensions from last night or else it's clear the NHL is playing favorites. Kadri should be suspended the rest of the series...

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009

He's right. DoPS want to be consistent now? Suspend the others. Don't want to look biased now do we?

You go Dewey, about time someone calls out the DoPS, Wilson with a hit to the head, no suspension.. Though given the Caps, lost game 1 at home, probably not surprising no hearing
Will see what happens with Kadri, figure they are giving the wheel a spin now.

And I don't think the league favors the Knights. I just think they are all over the place on this stuff, and had the Kings lost game 1 at home, Doughty would have been fined and not suspended.

FishMonger

May 4, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Sounds to me like Drew doesn't understand what the rule is anymore.

I would make a snarky comment about you being more of an expert than he (and let's be honest, it's warranted), but I'll refer to what Jim Fox said about a month ago, which is the two groups of people who know the rules the least are the players and the coaches.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
There was no intent by Doughty to hit his head, and there is no evidence to suggest otherwise, based on his lack of disciplinary hearings throughout his career. A simple call from DOPS saying that he needs to make sure to hit the shoulder from now on would have sufficed.

But we can all see the NHL’s hard on for Vegas, and I don’t doubt that this took part in the decision to suspend him.

Fans like you seem to want to take checking out of the game. If the DOPS keeps making bad calls like this, then players won’t want to check anymore for fear of being suspended. And then we’re watching low contact high school hockey. And then everyone will wonder what happened to the good old days of hard hitting hockey.

Intent doesn't matter. In fact the NHL specifically removed intent from the Illegal Check to the Head rule several years ago.

The onus is on the checking player to not make a hit that results in the opponent's head being the main point of contact.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
Sounds to me like Drew doesn't understand what the rule is anymore.
I think he concedes that he makes contact with the head. And I can even concede that the head was the main point of contact. And it is arguable that the hit was unavoidable. Consider also that Doughty doesn't have any "priors" during his 10 year career, nothing recent or significant anyways. And this is the Stanley Cup Playoffs. One last consideration is that Carrier was uninjured. I will even concede that the hit was not legal. But where do you draw the line between a fine and a suspension? How is that determined? I think that's just what Doughty is saying. While he made contact with Carrier's head, he doesn't think it's suspension worthy, taking everything else into consideration.

Reactions: ShonSaunders

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
He's absolutely right and, as easily predicted yesterday before the slate of games were played, this suspension is not the new norm but just more wheel-of-justice garbage from the DoPS.
Correct. Wilson is going to turn someone into a vegetable and yet Doughty's hit warrants a suspension and Wilson's does not. Keep spinning the wheel DOPS.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Do you? I mean Wilson's first point of contact was the head and he left his feet, no fine or nothing

I can't tell if Wilson's first point of contact is the head but that doesn't matter anymore. They emphasize main point of contact now. I agree the skates left the ice and charging is definitely the right call that was made on the ice but I don't know if that's suspendable. If there was a clear angle for a shot to the head, I'd definitely agree with supplemental discipline.

member 88115

And to me is Why there was contact with the head after initially hitting the shoulder. To which Doughty brought up

FishMonger

May 4, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I'd say that he has less of an understanding than they do if he honestly believes that there are four or five worse hits than his last night.
Kadri, Wilson, Johanson, and whoever got the boarding 5+ Game. I can't 'member, I was switching between games and Bubble Guppies.

That's 4 questionable hits. You may disagree that they were worse, but you can at least see his frustration when he feels his hit was clean, and the hitee feels the hit was clean.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Kadri, Wilson, Johanson, and whoever got the boarding 5+ Game. I can't 'member, I was switching between games and Bubble Guppies.

That's 4 questionable hits. You may disagree that they were worse, but you can at least see his frustration when he feels his hit was clean, and the hitee feels the hit was clean.

Four questionable hits, sure. Four worse than his? Kadri, yes.Wilson and Johansen, maybe but getting an angle on those at this point for me has been troublesome, the Anderson board I don't know if it was worse but five and a game that early on is a pretty hefty price to pay that I would say is on par with Doughty's punishment since Doughty didn't get called at all. I totally get his frustration though. The consistency with which the league doles out punishment is absolutely a problem. I don't like the idea of going with player opinion in the moment or even in general on stuff like this because the health affects that go with it should mean that it gets more consideration than that.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
I can't tell if Wilson's first point of contact is the head but that doesn't matter anymore. They emphasize main point of contact now. I agree the skates left the ice and charging is definitely the right call that was made on the ice but I don't know if that's suspendable. If there was a clear angle for a shot to the head, I'd definitely agree with supplemental discipline.

The left shoulder of Wennberg is back, the first point of contact and principal point of contact is the head. Wennberg is still lean forward at this point in time, he is not moving in a backwards motion as a result of body contact first.

Again they are not consistent, nobody really knows the rule at this point

I wonder though had the Caps won, if the decision would have been different, I am leaning towards yes.

tom-wilson-hit-960x480.jpg

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->