Doughty Hit on Carrier (UPD: Suspended One Game)

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Got it. Which leagues do that? You should watch those.

Doughty went for his shoulder and ended up hitting his chin, slightly, after hitting his shoulder. It was a legal hit. But Bettman wants to see the Knights succeed, so...
Doughty glances off the shoulder and hits pretty hard into the chin so no. Not legal. The DOPS' explanation is correct. He had the opportunity to hit through the core rather than trying to knock upwards into the shoulder to guarantee Carrier getting knocked over. Such a hit would be a strong clean hit if all the impact went to the shoulder, but it carries with it a risk that the contact will go to the head if he misses. Which he did.

Now I'll give it to you, I don't think he intended any contact to the head at all, but a guy who has been in the league as long as he has, has to know that when you lift into a hit to try to leverage a body's momentum up and over, if you miss that could do some serious damage to the player's head. He didn't exercise enough caution in that situation and got the suspension that is deserved, not as a punitive measure, but hopefully a deterrent to future carelessness. We'll see how the DOPS handles Kadri.

Reactions: Duke749

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
Well people including you, defended coglianos hit which was much more blatant over a meaningless streak. You sure didn't seem to care about headshots then.

I'm curious when you board a player, what part of the body hits the boards first ?

You're extremly inconsistent now that the shoe is on the other foot. And I said karma because Vegas started the cheap hits first. Kings reacted. Hence done.

You're not the most consistent person when it comes to these things. The week of Cog's suspension, you defended Brown's hit against PIT when he cross checked a guy on his his knees face first into the boards. You called it an everyday board that deserved 2 minutes at most

LA_Viking

Jun 8, 2007
NorCal
Doughty glances off the shoulder and hits pretty hard into the chin so no. Not legal. The DOPS' explanation is correct. He had the opportunity to hit through the core rather than trying to knock upwards into the shoulder to guarantee Carrier getting knocked over. Such a hit would be a strong clean hit if all the impact went to the shoulder, but it carries with it a risk that the contact will go to the head if he misses. Which he did.

Now I'll give it to you, I don't think he intended any contact to the head at all, but a guy who has been in the league as long as he has, has to know that when you lift into a hit to try to leverage a body's momentum up and over, if you miss that could do some serious damage to the player's head. He didn't exercise enough caution in that situation and got the suspension that is deserved, not as a punitive measure, but hopefully a deterrent to future carelessness. We'll see how the DOPS handles Kadri.

There was no intent by Doughty to hit his head, and there is no evidence to suggest otherwise, based on his lack of disciplinary hearings throughout his career. A simple call from DOPS saying that he needs to make sure to hit the shoulder from now on would have sufficed.

But we can all see the NHL’s hard on for Vegas, and I don’t doubt that this took part in the decision to suspend him.

Fans like you seem to want to take checking out of the game. If the DOPS keeps making bad calls like this, then players won’t want to check anymore for fear of being suspended. And then we’re watching low contact high school hockey. And then everyone will wonder what happened to the good old days of hard hitting hockey.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I like Doughty and think he's still underrated around the league, but people need to read the rulebook on illegal check to the head and watch the example videos if they think this wasn't suspension worthy.

I don't think Doughty was intending to hit a guy in the head but it was a high risk hit where he mostly missed the body and made head contact. This hit is the exact kind the league has been trying to eliminate. You have to hit squarely to the body.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Glancing off someone's shoulder...and hitting them in the head...is still hitting them in the head. I like Doughty but this is the right call.

Reactions: Duke749

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
NHL should just have no contact or better yet have players wear flags. If the flag is pulled, you give up possession of the puck. If I'm a player and I see a player with their head down or hunched over in the slightest I let them skate right by me in fear of a suspension. The league has turned into a joke and should be ashamed of themselves.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
NHL should just have no contact or better yet have players wear flags. If the flag is pulled, you give up possession of the puck. If I'm a player and I see a player with their head down or hunched over in the slightest I let them skate right by me in fear of a suspension. The league has turned into a joke and should be ashamed of themselves.

NHL still gives plenty of leeway when it is a hockey play AND the head isn't the primary point of contact. These players shouldn't have to be subjected to loss of future mentality because of a meaningless (to the game) dirty attempt to hurt them in retaliation.

That said, a fine would have sent him the warning that a suspension would follow if he pulled this crap again. and I think it was borderline enough that a fine would have sufficed..

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Now that we're clear that the Wilson and Johansen hits aren't even going to be reviewed, I'm going to go ahead and declare this a f***ing joke, and the optics are terrible.

I guess we're still awaiting Kadri, but if they can't get an intent-to-injure from a repeat offender remotely right...

Reactions: KingTrouty

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
You're not the most consistent person when it comes to these things. The week of Cog's suspension, you defended Brown's hit against PIT when he cross checked a guy on his his knees face first into the boards. You called it an everyday board that deserved 2 minutes at most
Lol the second one I was trolling people because they were incensed since it was brown.

Reactions: KingTrouty

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
There was no intent by Doughty to hit his head, and there is no evidence to suggest otherwise, based on his lack of disciplinary hearings throughout his career. A simple call from DOPS saying that he needs to make sure to hit the shoulder from now on would have sufficed.

But we can all see the NHL’s hard on for Vegas, and I don’t doubt that this took part in the decision to suspend him.

Fans like you seem to want to take checking out of the game. If the DOPS keeps making bad calls like this, then players won’t want to check anymore for fear of being suspended. And then we’re watching low contact high school hockey. And then everyone will wonder what happened to the good old days of hard hitting hockey.
No I don't want to take hits out of the game. I want to take needlessly dangerous ones out.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
No I don't want to take hits out of the game. I want to take needlessly dangerous ones out.

Are you arguing that Doughty's hit was needless?? If you are, I think you will have the entire hockey community disagree with you, but feel free to clarify

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
NHL still gives plenty of leeway when it is a hockey play AND the head isn't the primary point of contact. These players shouldn't have to be subjected to loss of future mentality because of a meaningless (to the game) dirty attempt to hurt them in retaliation.

That said, a fine would have sent him the warning that a suspension would follow if he pulled this crap again. and I think it was borderline enough that a fine would have sufficed..

There was no intention to hit him in the head or "hurt him in retaliation". He went for a hit and his shoulder slipped off Carriers shoulder hitting him in the head. Pretty easy to do with the speed of the game and the fact he had his head at shoulder level. If Carrier had his head up, we aren't having this conversation...

Reactions: LA_Viking

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->