Doughty Hit on Carrier (UPD: Suspended One Game)

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
Eh I'm gonna disagree on the malicious part. There's definitely an upward motion for a little "extra"

If the DOPS was serious about safety, this gets 1 game
My best guess is a fine and a stern talking to

That's how I feel. He could've easily gone lower on Carrier and that extra upward motion makes it look reckless. I'm sure he knew it was Carrier who had his number all night. You can even see the bruising on Carrier's face on that video. A little brush from the shoulder doesn't leave a mark like that

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
No angle I've seen can convince me there was contact to Carrier's shoulder beyond some incidental brushing. But the primary point of contact is clearly the head.

I'll echo that I don't think this was malicious headhunting. I may not like Doughty but I don't think he's the type. That said it was incredibly reckless and a total abandon of restraint after enduring Carrier's hits. High blindside hits always have the risk to have things like this happen, and irrespective of Doughty's intent, what he did was wrong and in an ideal world the NHL would make an example out of him with a 1-2 game suspension. But that won't happen to one of the NHL's golden boys and with the impossible to predict DOPS.
After the suspension to Cogliano, I have no idea.
Cogliano will be retroactively suspended for Doughty's hit under the grounds of the butterfly effect.

Reactions: mouser and Iceman

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
No angle I've seen can convince me there was contact to Carrier's shoulder beyond some incidental brushing. But the primary point of contact is clearly the head.

Cogliano will be retroactively suspended for Doughty's hit under the grounds of the butterfly effect.

No angle? Really? The first angle that CBC showed, you can literally see Carriers shoulder move as Doughty makes contact with it

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
And, here they come...people who want him to sit because of who he is, and have no idea about the actual hit itself.

I like Doughty and I've watched both hits repeatedly. Why shouldn't two hits with the point of impact being the head and involving the same player be treated consistently? Isn't that what we want from DoPS?

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
Dirty and should be a suspension but DoPS has shown there are different rules for certain teams & players. Won't even get a fine.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I like Doughty and I've watched both hits repeatedly. Why shouldn't two hits with the point of impact being the head and involving the same player be treated consistently? Isn't that what we want from DoPS?

They aren't the same hits first of all so you will never get consistency,

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
No angle? Really? The first angle that CBC showed, you can literally see Carriers shoulder move as Doughty makes contact with it
Looks to me like Doughty's arm slips by and Carrier is trying not to get hit there. I'll concede that maybe that first angle can possibly indicate that, but like I said, to me it looks like any contact to the shoulder is completely incidental to the full brunt of the force which was to the head.

Let's just say there was that contact to the shoulder. It really shouldn't matter. Players shouldn't throw blindside high hits. Period. I don't care how mad he was at Carrier. These kinds of hits are pretty much a 50/50 chance (conservative estimate honestly) of resulting in significant force to the head. Something the NHL is really lagging behind in limiting. The Paul Kariya's of this world exist and suffer because we care far too much about lack of intent to injure and incidental first touchings. I don't think Doughty was necessarily trying to hit the head but if he was going pure shoulder for shoulder, he missed.

I mean. I know I have a biased perspective but I argued for Patrick Maroon's suspension when he hit Doughty in the head. Obviously that was more malicious and reckless, but here we are. I want reckless and malicious plays alike to be handled with the same kind of deferrence to continuing player safety, but the NHL is way too slow to adapt. I don't want a no hitting league, but I mean...there were a good 100 hits last night thrown that weren't reckless or dangerous. We need to limit, as far as possible, the one kind of hit we saw last night that took Will Carrier out of the game.

EDIT: Until the NHL shows it has the balls to discipline a guy like Doughty for reckless/carelessness, players are going to keep doing shit like this.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Carrier shouldn’t be taking 100 foot runs at doughty if he plans on skating around looking at the ice

True, especially a depth player against a superstar.

Yeah, and Moore had a questionable hit on Naslund before Betuzzi tried to murder him. That won't save Doughty from a suspension.

I'm not saying he won't be suspended. But, it's hard to feel bad for Carrier here.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Looks to me like Doughty's arm slips by and Carrier is trying not to get hit there. I'll concede that maybe that first angle can possibly indicate that, but like I said, to me it looks like any contact to the shoulder is completely incidental to the full brunt of the force which was to the head.

Let's just say there was that contact to the shoulder. It really shouldn't matter. Players shouldn't throw blindside high hits. Period. I don't care how mad he was at Carrier. These kinds of hits are pretty much a 50/50 chance (conservative estimate honestly) of resulting in significant force to the head. Something the NHL is really lagging behind in limiting. The Paul Kariya's of this world exist and suffer because we care far too much about lack of intent to injure and incidental first touchings. I don't think Doughty was necessarily trying to hit the head but if he was going pure shoulder for shoulder, he missed.

I mean. I know I have a biased perspective but I argued for Patrick Maroon's suspension when he hit Doughty in the head. Obviously that was more malicious and wreckless, but here we are. I want reckless and malicious plays alike to be handled with the same kind of deferrence to continuing player safety, but the NHL is way too slow to adapt. I don't want a no hitting league, but I mean...there were a good 100 hits last night thrown that weren't reckless or dangerous. We need to limit, as far as possible, the one kind of hit we saw last night that took Will Carrier out of the game.

How is that a blind side hit? I mean, I will give you, it was a glancing blow off the shoulder and the full brunt of the hit was the head, I think the timing and angle was off just slightly that caused that, and he should get a fine, I don't think you will see a suspension,

But in no way shape or form can that hit be construed as a blindside hit,

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
How is that a blind side hit? I mean, I will give you, it was a glancing blow off the shoulder and the full brunt of the hit was the head, I think the timing and angle was off just slightly that caused that, and he should get a fine, I don't think you will see a suspension,

But in no way shape or form can that hit be construed as a blindside hit,

What does a player have to do these days for a hit to be considered blindside? Be behind him and find a way to speed up enough to hit him diagonally and from behind so the player truly can't see him? Not even directed at you specifically but everytime a player gets defended for an accused blindside hit, people always say "that wasn't blindside"

Do blindside hits just not exist? Doughty flew in from Carrier's side while Carrier was trying to get a handle on the puck and couldn't see him. That's a blindside and the hit was needlessly high.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Well this sets up nicely for the drama going forward.

Doughty was already a target but after this hit and the discussion with the VGK bench, you know this just got ramped up a notch.

I expect lots of soft and cross corner dumps into Drew's corner going forward. Cant' wait.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Just watched that one. They said that was interference!? It sure wasn't when Orpik hit Eriksson.

Maroon also received a match penalty. Doughty was down the tunnel long enough to get the call, but made it back in time to QB the PP after the commercial break.

Both are hits where a player goes to make contact, the receiving player moves, and the resulting hit glances off the shoulder and impacts the head with the majority of the force.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Carrier had a questionable hit or 3 on Drew earlier. Here is one below.

Payback. Keep your head up and don't poke the bear.

There is nothing questionable about that hit by Carrier to Doughty. Telling someone to not make that hit in the playoffs when it is clean because it's Doughty is utterly ridiculous. That hit is not comparable to Doughty's hit. If the NHL had balls, they'd suspend Doughty for a game for his hit but I'm only expecting them to fine him. People are dreaming if they think that hit by Carrier is even remotely close to as bad of a hit as Doughty's was. Give me a break.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
It's honestly a very similar hit to the one Cogliano delivered to Kempe, except it's not late.

Depending on how the DOPS came to the conclusion that Cogliano's hit deserved 2 games (was it more related to the head contact or how late the hit was) I could see this getting a fine or 1 game max.

Obviously, history could play a role but I can't recall Doughty having a suspension or fine history.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
As for the hit prob worth 2 regular season games, doubt the league suspends him in playoffs... or we will see a lot of suspensions this postseason... granted they didnt exactly stay consistent after some of their calls in regulsr season so who knows

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad