Doug Wilson...

Discussion in 'The History of Hockey' started by Blades of Glory, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Blades of Glory

Blades of Glory Troll Captain

Investment banker
    A HOFer? I doubt it, he's probably in the category of Hall of the Very Good. But the Sharks have been campaigning on his behalf this entire year.

I wouldn't vote for him, but what do you think are his chances?

2. Falloooooon

Falloooooon Registered User

I gotta say that I have never examined his entire career very closely. Still haven't really. But 39 goals in 81-82?!?! Did he play D that year? Good lord.

Nice player, not a HOFer. Maybe as an executive someday. :crossfing

3. arrbez

arrbez bad chi

Not a chance. No offense to Doug, but nobody thinks of him as a defining player of his era. He won the Norris, but so did a few other guys who aren't in the hall either.

4. Bluesfan1981

Bluesfan1981 Registered User

I doubt he'll get in, but I wouldn't mind if he did, he's more deserving than some guys who are in. 1st All Star team once, 2nd All Star team twice, a Norris, and 7 all star games. Very good defensively, and one of the greatest offensive defensemen ever. I guess he's overlooked and underrated because he was never on a cup winning team.

5. God Bless Canada

God Bless Canada Registered User

Newspaper reporter
    Wilson played with a bad shoulder for years. When he finally went under the knife in 1987-88, he missed two-thirds of that season and part of the next. But his performance in 1989-90 was unforgettable: a Norris Trophy finalist and a second-team all-star. The refrain around the league was simple: when he could actually stay healthy, this is what he was capable of.

Unfortunately, it was the last time we saw him healthy. He averaged under 45 games per season over his final three years.

To a certain extent, his career somewhat parallels fellow 1980s offensive defenceman Paul Reinhart (although Wilson was a much better player): a highly skilled offensive rearguard who had some outstanding seasons, but his legacy was left incomplete due to injuries.

An HHOF defenceman? No. But he's definitely in the cut below. Among eligible defencemen not in the HHOF, only Mark Howe, JC Tremblay and Carl Brewer were better.

6. Ogopogo*

Ogopogo* Guest

Doug Wilson doesn't get enough resepct. He is #132 on my greatest non-goalies list.

7. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

He did win the Norris, but Randy Carlyle won it as well. Needless to say Wilson had some better seasons than Carlyle so he'd get in before Carlyle. That said Mark Howe may have been better. And he isnt in.

8. Nalyd Psycho

Nalyd Psycho Registered User

Home Page:
    Great player. But there are too many better players in line ahead of him. If San Jose has playoff sucess he might get in for his cumlative contribution to the sport.

9. Changeiscoming

Changeiscoming Rebooting myself Sponsor

currently creating a new identity

The moment they put Cam Neely in the hall they lowered the standards to get in

10. Beukeboom Fan

Beukeboom Fan Registered User

Home Page:
    I disagree. I'd much rather have Cam Neely in the Hall of Fame who was dominant for a short period of time (and career was cut short by injury) than guys who were very good (without being exceptional) for an extended period of time (Joe Mullen for example).

11. Hawker14

Hawker14 Registered User

how can it be said that letting neely into the hhof lowered standards ? he was a dominant player in his era.

now clark gilles, he lowered the bar for admission !

i'd have no problem with doug wilson in the hall of fame. if larry murphy gets in, so does wilson in my book.

12. WingsFan95

WingsFan95 Registered User

Office Job
    He actually needs to be in.

What takes his case from arguable to definite is what he's done after his playing career.

Put him in.

Larry Murphy is a lesser Hall of Fame candidate, but we all know the 4 Cups make a big difference.

13. Al Bundy*

Al Bundy* Guest

Should the Blackhawks retire his number?

14. LeBlondeDemon10

LeBlondeDemon10 BlindLemon Haystacks

I think he is often forgotten as one of the better offensive defense men in history. But when you come from an era of Coffey, Bourque, Housley, MacInnis, Carlyle, Chelios, etc...its understandable. When I look at some past HOF inductees such as Steve Shutt and Clark Gillies, I think Wilson has a shot. Shutt and Gillies were both very good, but for short periods of time. But they also played on dynasties. Wilson was very good for a longer period of time, but no cups and one Norris. I think it would be unfair to view him as not hall-worthy when Shutt and Gillies got in purely on team accomplishments.

15. Leidi J

Leidi J Registered User

This. If you look at his entire body of work in the sport of hockey he definitely deserves to be in. As a player alone you can argue he's not deserving, but take that career on top of what he has done for the San Jose as a player/captain/executive/etc. franchise and his place in their history...

16. YippieKaey

YippieKaey Registered User

Interesting comparison to Cam Neely, they seem to have pretty similar stats and injury history. And since he helped the Sharks in so many ways and has great playoff stats for a d-man i think he should get in

17. Hobnobs

Hobnobs Pinko

People tend to forget how good Murphy were before the dpe. During Wilsons career he was .86 PPG and Murphy were .82. In fact, during Murphys entire career only two defensemen were better offensively (overall), Coffey and Bourque. The problem for murphy was that he always had a generational talent ahead of him (Bourque/Coffey/Chelios).

18. tony d

tony d Registered User Sponsor

Office Worker
    I think he'll eventually get in. It will probably be in a weak class, but I still think he gets in the Hall of Fame.

19. popo

popo Registered User

Does anyone have any insight on why Chicago, a contender, would trade him for a draft pick to San Jose? I assume it was simply because of his health (didn't play a full season in 90/91).

20. LeBlondeDemon10

LeBlondeDemon10 BlindLemon Haystacks

I can't recall exactly, but I assume that it may have been because of Mike Keenan. He typically didn't like offensive players with little else to offer even if they were good for 100 pts - ie. Brett Hull, Gretzky.
    However, this trade was at the end of Wilson's carrier so maybe he was a liability?