DOUBLE-HOOK DH

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
So I saw that the Atlantic league is going to be experimenting with the "Double hook DH" and I'm curious what people think of it.

The Atlantic League will also implement a "double-hook" rule, in which a team will lose its designated hitter when it removes its starting pitcher. That rule will be in effect the entire season, which starts May 27. The goal is to see starters pitch longer into games, creating more value for them and increasing late-game strategy.

MLB to have Atlantic League experiment with moving back mound, 'double-hook' DH (espn.com)

At first glance, I don't hate it.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I've been advocating for this to be tried for some time...

It keeps starting pitchers from hitting, allows pinch hitters to be utilized later in the game... it seems like it would be the best of both worlds

Reactions: KevFu and Cas

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I'm ok with this change but I don't think it'll have a huge effect on pitchers going deep into games (if used at the MLB level) because the DH is rarely a big-time regular these days.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I wouldn’t mind if the mlb did this if they added a few more bench spots. If you want to incorporate that into the game, fine, but pitchers shouldn’t be hitting.

Quarterbacks don’t play defense, too.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I wouldn’t mind if the mlb did this if they added a few more bench spots. If you want to incorporate that into the game, fine, but pitchers shouldn’t be hitting.

Quarterbacks don’t play defense, too.

Sometimes, they do. Or at least they have to. You know, when their throw gets intercepted or when there’s a fumble. Lol.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
True, though most of them look around and try not to get hurt lol

Makes it all the better when Roethlisberger saves a trip to a Super Bowl by just getting enough of a guy's foot as the last line of defense.

I...actually kinda really like this idea. I'm interested to see how it plays out because this basically solves the primary issue I have with the DH.

I love the idea of pitchers hitting, but with nobody bothering to even attempt to teach/allow these guys to bat before they find their way on an NL team anymore the quality just keeps getting worse and with contracts the way they are I wouldn't be risking a $100+ million asset getting plunked in the wrong place either. On the flip side I just hate the idea of a hitter who can't field getting to gloss over that glaring flaw in their game. Being unable to do half of the job should be a bigger weakness than the DH allows it to be. This would at least chop out ~1-2 at bats/game and make a manager think about how much they may need that bat later rather than just tossing him out there in the clean-up spot and not have to think about it again. If your third baseman can't throw it to first without it ending up in the stands 30% of the time it should be a major issue and not something that results in a smaller work load at the same pay. That's more of a reward than anything in my eyes.

Reactions: MachoDiablo

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Now that’s a DH rule I can live with. The bench is not obsolete with this rule. But what if the SP has to leave prematurely because of an injury?

My first thought was the manager has 2 options...

Forfeit the DH for the remainder of the game

Or, keep the DH, however, the injured starting pitcher must miss their next scheduled start

But then I wondered what would happen if it's Game 7 of the World Series and there is no "next scheduled start" for them to miss

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Makes it all the better when Roethlisberger saves a trip to a Super Bowl by just getting enough of a guy's foot as the last line of defense.

I...actually kinda really like this idea. I'm interested to see how it plays out because this basically solves the primary issue I have with the DH.

I love the idea of pitchers hitting, but with nobody bothering to even attempt to teach/allow these guys to bat before they find their way on an NL team anymore the quality just keeps getting worse and with contracts the way they are I wouldn't be risking a $100+ million asset getting plunked in the wrong place either. On the flip side I just hate the idea of a hitter who can't field getting to gloss over that glaring flaw in their game. Being unable to do half of the job should be a bigger weakness than the DH allows it to be. This would at least chop out ~1-2 at bats/game and make a manager think about how much they may need that bat later rather than just tossing him out there in the clean-up spot and not have to think about it again. If your third baseman can't throw it to first without it ending up in the stands 30% of the time it should be a major issue and not something that results in a smaller work load at the same pay. That's more of a reward than anything in my eyes.
Another idea would be just eliminating the pitchers spot in the batting lineup and just have an 8-man hitting line. Position players would probably like it since it means more ab’s during the season, but I don’t think the league and union would be fans of lost jobs.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Another idea would be just eliminating the pitchers spot in the batting lineup and just have an 8-man hitting line. Position players would probably like it since it means more ab’s during the season, but I don’t think the league and union would be fans of lost jobs.

Honestly there's no use even giving thought to this one just because it's the kind of proposal that'd be dead in the water because of it resulting in fewer well-paying jobs for the players. Even the weak-ass MLBPA wouldn't give that up without getting something massive in return and there's no reason for the owners to go nuclear over such a concept.

Without the owner/players union balance to weigh it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world at all...but taking at bats away from certain players and giving more at-bats to the regular line-up would have repercussions that simply aren't worth it. Such a relatively minor change would have quite the butterfly effect...how much does a Fernando Tatis, Jr.-type get if he's expected to get an extra at bat each game?

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Sorry, but I'm old-fashioned. Pitchers grew up hitting the ball. Just because they are in the big leagues they are suddenly not capable of swinging the bat, or putting down a bunt to move a runner over? Keep it as it was, no DH in the NL, DH in the AL. Next.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Sorry, but I'm old-fashioned. Pitchers grew up hitting the ball. Just because they are in the big leagues they are suddenly not capable of swinging the bat, or putting down a bunt to move a runner over? Keep it as it was, no DH in the NL, DH in the AL. Next.

I'm with you on NL style baseball....

But why would you keep the DH in the AL? If you're simply being pragmatic, not idealist, that the AL will never give it up, then the DH for SP only in both leagues is a better pragmatic solution.

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad