Don't underestimate Stevey Y

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
I've seen a lot of people saying that Steve Yzerman should have been left off the team, and I couldn't disagree more. Even on one leg, I'd take this guy over most of the young 'Hot shots' in this league. I don't think people can overvalue a guy of Yzerman's pedigree in the lineup, even at 38 years old and on one leg at this point.

I recall in the 2002 Olympics, Canadian fans didn't want Joe Nieuwendyk there, and wanted Joe Thornton there instead. Well, look how that turned out? Nieuwendyk ended up being a key performer for the team.

All I'm saying is that with guys like Yzerman, they are of such a calibur of skill and experience you simply cannot ignore them. I think people will be awfully surprised at what he can bring to the table, even at his age & health right now.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If I was Steve Yzerman, and I was serious about my return to the Red Wings, I'd not accept. Although a lockout changes all the rules.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
If I was Steve Yzerman, and I was serious about my return to the Red Wings, I'd not accept. Although a lockout changes all the rules.

Competing for their country in big tournaments like the World Cup is incredibly important to just about all players and they take pride in doing it... If anything this will give Yzerman even more motivation, I'm a Wings fan and don't see how this will hurt Yzerman's play with the Wings.
It must be a Pennsylvania thing... see Lemieux getting grief for suiting up for Canada in the past.

I agree with you Mirzal... Yzerman was in even worst shape (physically) in Salt Lake and he ended up being a key component to that team and was a surprise top scorer even. If Yzerman is given the call (top 12 forward) he'll contribute and do a job.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think Yzerman is a great pick for the team, but even with his history of battling through the pain, how effective can a guy with one eye be? Will his sight be at 100% in time for the World Cup?

~Canucklehead~

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
canucklehead17 said:
I think Yzerman is a great pick for the team, but even with his history of battling through the pain, how effective can a guy with one eye be? Will his sight be at 100% in time for the World Cup?

~Canucklehead~

Exactly what I am thinking. Yzerman has proven to be a warrior in all aspects, and this year provided a gritty edge to compensate for lower goal totals. However.....if he is blind in one eye......he should not be on the team in any way, shape, or form.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
when you have Draper and ... MALTBY on your team, you start asking yourself some questions ... and when Gretzky decides to add Yzerman, then you really wonder if the man is out of his mind. Lemieux is a fine addition, but Yzerman, NO!!!

Ironchef Chris Wok*

I'm fully behind the Stevie Yzerman decision.

The players respect him, the coaches respect him, the fans respect him, hell, the refs respect him.

I think he'll be great as a "source of calm" for Team Canada. If the team runs into some trouble, he can calm the team down with his experience and leadership, and lead by example by playing a few good shifts.

He's seen it all, and done it all.

I've never made any money betting against Steve Yzerman. EVER.

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
Gretzky selected Yzerman because he was looking either for a guy who will play on fourth line or stay in the stands. He mainly picked Yzerman for his experience. If the selection had been for a first or second liner, it wouldn't had been Yzerman. Lecavalier would have been the choice.

In a long term perspective, I would have found a place for Tanguay and Lecavalier in this roster.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Mizral said:
I've seen a lot of people saying that Steve Yzerman should have been left off the team, and I couldn't disagree more. Even on one leg, I'd take this guy over most of the young 'Hot shots' in this league. I don't think people can overvalue a guy of Yzerman's pedigree in the lineup, even at 38 years old and on one leg at this point.

I recall in the 2002 Olympics, Canadian fans didn't want Joe Nieuwendyk there, and wanted Joe Thornton there instead. Well, look how that turned out? Nieuwendyk ended up being a key performer for the team.

All I'm saying is that with guys like Yzerman, they are of such a calibur of skill and experience you simply cannot ignore them. I think people will be awfully surprised at what he can bring to the table, even at his age & health right now.

I agree but if his eyesight hasn't fully healed by the time the World Cup starts, he's gotta pull himself out. He's not going to get Canada many goals but he will be a huge boost and contributor to the team.

Kinda makes you wonder if Lemieux is going to sit the tournament out and then give Stevie Y the 'C'.

gnardini1998

Enoch said:
Exactly what I am thinking. Yzerman has proven to be a warrior in all aspects, and this year provided a gritty edge to compensate for lower goal totals. However.....if he is blind in one eye......he should not be on the team in any way, shape, or form.

To begin with he isn't blind in one eye now and as I understand it he just had blurry vision. The medical people said that they expected that to go away as he healed and no one mentioned any permanent vision damage after he was operated on. BUT, my point is Steve will not play if he feels he would be a liability. He would not place himself above the team. It took him so long last year to come back from his knee operation because he wanted to make sure he could actually contribute not just be a figurehead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad