Don't Hate the Drake: Drake Batherson selected in 4th round (121)

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Well, we saw what Perron did in his overage Q seasons and how he has struggled to adapt to the pro game.

Of course, I'm not throwing Perron under the bus here, but not getting ahead of myself with Batherson yet.
Perron had 26 points in his rookie season as a slight 20 year old.

Hoffman had 25 points in his rookie season as a slight 21 year old.

Perron had a fine rookie season in the AHL.

There is nothing to get ahead of with Batherson. What he is doing, right now in junior, is absolutely phenomenal. Better than phenomenal. Finishing the year with 13 more points than your next closest teammate is a huge difference. After 13 games, it is extremely silly. It will only increase as the season goes on. I watched him yesterday, he was literally everything Cape Breton. He had very, very little help.

We can worry about his game in the pro's next year, but what he is doing right now should have everyone overflowing with excitement.

Add in the fact he has pretty much the ideal pro frame (tall, lanky, thick) and has good skating, we should be very excited. The way he is playing right now he is looking like he should have gone in the first round in a very strong 2016, as well as this past draft.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Perron was/is always going to be a project. He's not "Stone" good, he's a lot more like "Hoffman" good. He'll take a while to become a top-6 guy if he ever gets there. My only concern is, like Hoffman, we'll run out of time developmentally before waivers becomes an issue.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Perron had 26 points in his rookie season as a slight 20 year old.

Hoffman had 25 points in his rookie season as a slight 21 year old.

Perron had a fine rookie season in the AHL.

There is nothing to get ahead of with Batherson. What he is doing, right now in junior, is absolutely phenomenal. Better than phenomenal. Finishing the year with 13 more points than your next closest teammate is a huge difference. After 13 games, it is extremely silly. It will only increase as the season goes on. I watched him yesterday, he was literally everything Cape Breton. He had very, very little help.

We can worry about his game in the pro's next year, but what he is doing right now should have everyone overflowing with excitement.

Add in the fact he has pretty much the ideal pro frame (tall, lanky, thick) and has good skating, we should be very excited. The way he is playing right now he is looking like he should have gone in the first round in a very strong 2016, as well as this past draft.

Aren't Lanky and Thick pretty much antonyms...

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Well, we saw what Perron did in his overage Q seasons and how he has struggled to adapt to the pro game.

Of course, I'm not throwing Perron under the bus here, but not getting ahead of myself with Batherson yet.
Like BondraTime has been saying, the best part of his development is the steepness of its curve.
Ideally we are looking at something like this.

upload_2017-10-23_13-11-57.png

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Think Eric Staal. I shouldn't have used lanky as it didn't illustrate the point I was trying to convey, you are correct in them being opposites.

He is tall, has long arms, and is thick. Ryan Johansen/Mark Scheifele/Eric Staal/Jack Eichel/etc.

I suspected that's what you meant, just had me scratching my head as I wasn't sure.

Man, if both Batherson and Formenton pan out, this will have been one heck of a draft for us.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Let's not give up on Bowers either from that same draft, he could turn into another great pick too & is off to a good start at BU.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Think Eric Staal. I shouldn't have used lanky as it didn't illustrate the point I was trying to convey, you are correct in them being opposites.

He is tall, has long arms, and is thick. Ryan Johansen/Mark Scheifele/Eric Staal/Jack Eichel/etc.
Maybe a big frame but lanky?

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
I had never seen him play in junior but he was one of the most noticeable players all throughout rookie camp in the summer. I think he's got NHL player written all over him.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Batherson is playing out of his mind.

Best player on the ice again by a wide margin.

On a side note, 2 really small guys I had ranked high in last years Q draft looked very good as well in Ryan Francis and Jakub Pelletier. Very impressive offensive players.

I have no doubt that Francis will be on our watch list for the next 2 years with our exposure to him from Batherson, and our penchant towards the Maritimes teams/residents.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad