Done Deal: Ong

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Disclaimer: Every thing I say in this article in meant to be in jest and plus its 1am in the morning. :)

Raleigh, NC

With 30 games left to play, there seems to only one team that can win the South East Division and that is the Carolina Hurricanes. That is according to Hurricanes GM Dion Ong.

"It's a done deal," said Ong. " I've visualized it from the start of the season. It shall be done. Do you know how powerful the mind is?"

Yet for many, especially fans of the Tampa Bay Lightning, it may seem too early to call.

"What do they know?" asked Ong. "Seriously, what has the Lightning ever done especially when they get into the playoffs. There were lucky last year to even make it in the playoffs. I honestly thought the Panthers deserved it more than the Lightning. That team is such a yo-yo team that you don't know what stuff is going to come out from that team."

I wonder if Ong believes in Karma.

"Karma Schmarma,"replied Ong. "I believe you make your own luck. Our two 8-game winning streak has definitely set us up for the season. No one in our division looks likely to go on a long streak like us."

Asked about the presence of Naslund in the division, Ong replied, "pfft... who is he? I'm pretty sure Dion will Phaneuf him."

So what does he really think about the other teams in the division. This is what Ong had to say:

Panthers: "I feel sorry for them. I expected them to do a lot better. Suspect Goaltending was going to be their achilles heel for this season. this has proven to be the case."

Capitals: "I absolutely hated them and envied them at the same time. They always belted this team. Always been a powerhouse in this division. Not any more hahaha. Every dog has his day. Still good enough for playoff if they can get their act together."

Thrashers: "Every division has one. The lunch pails that get kicked night in night out. We may have lost one game to them but that was lucky. If you lose your key players then how are expected to win."

Thats a wrap. Big words from Ong. With 30 games to go, does Ong's words ring true. I look forward to hear your responses, readers.

Carol Lina,
Raleigh Journal

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Tampa Bay, FL

A few hours after that Carolina Hurricans GM made a few comments, Martin Sedin the GM of the Tampa felt it was time to speak to the media. "I cant believe that Mr Ong says that he has already won the division, its more then 30 games left and our team is looking strong".

"With the recent addition of Näslund and Sykora I would say we have the best top6 in the entire league"

Is offensive everything, what about defense?
"Well, I agree that our defense could have been better but who needs defensive when we have seven guys who are already over 40 points"

Mr Ong says that you didnt deserve your playoffspot last year
"Well, we finished among top8 and therefor we made it to the playoffs, can you please tell me where Carolina ended up last year"

Even if you are currently 6th in the East you have a loosing record at home, how come?
"What can I say?, we have played much better on the road and we need to fix our homegames if we are going deep in the playoffs which is our goal for this season"

After the trades with Vancouver and Atlanta last week, are you done dealing now?
"We are very close to the salary cap so we cant make any big moves unless we offload some salary" "I would say that we are mostly looking for defense and defensive forwards" "Anything could be intresting if the right offer turns up but we will not sell away our future"

You mention offloading salaries, is it correct that you are looking to deal Curtis Joseph?
"I will not comment any names in the media, we are very satisfied with Cujo this season and he has been one of the best in the league so far"

What about the future, you dont have any high draftpicks in the next couple of years due to the free agent signing of Hossa?
"Our future still looks bright, next year its time for Johan Holmqvist, Fredrik Norrena, Patrik Thoresen and Petteri Nummelin to try HFNHL hockey" "Within the next couple of years I do believe that players such as Tobias Enström and Carl Söderberg will be big stars in the league.

Tampa has never made it big in the playoffs, why will that change this year?
"We have never had such a great top6 that we have now, eveyrone can score and if our top6 fails we can always count on Corvo who has scored an amazing 21 goals so far." "Our players are hungry for success and I can see it in their eyes that they would like to lift the cup in a few months time."

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Raleigh, NC

With 30 games left to play, there seems to only one team that can win the South East Division and that is the Carolina Hurricanes. That is according to Hurricanes GM Dion Ong.

"It's a done deal," said Ong. " I've visualized it from the start of the season. It shall be done. Do you know how powerful the mind is?"

Dion, I wonder why you did not visualize conference. Is it because Bufallo, New Jersey and Plyers will kick your ass?:D

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
They may not have a cup, but Tampa actually has an enviable record as a giant-killer in the playoffs stretching back to the early seasons of the HFNHL. They took out my might Washingotn Capitals one year, and an even mightier Ottawa team the enxt (iirc). That counts as mojo in my book, so I wouldn't count them out - they are spoilers in the post-season.

For my part, well, I could really go for some karma shwarma right now, with a little tatziki...

Love the thread, guys!

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
They may not have a cup, but Tampa actually has an enviable record as a giant-killer in the playoffs stretching back to the early seasons of the HFNHL. They took out my might Washingotn Capitals one year, and an even mightier Ottawa team the enxt (If I recall correctly). That counts as mojo in my book, so I wouldn't count them out - they are spoilers in the post-season.

For my part, well, I could really go for some karma shwarma right now, with a little tatziki...

Love the thread, guys!

Looking back, they might actually have a better playoff record than the mighty Blues

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad