OT: Donairs: The official food of the HF Oilers board :Part 2

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Best part is that somewhere on another internet message board is a woman with the following story: "I once dated this guy who couldn't really spell, who spent hours watching the Big Bang Theory and who thought that 'beer' was whatever swill MilerCoors was shoveling at us that month. I'd talk and he'd just stare at my chest. Within a month I stopped talking to him."

Where else was I supposed to look? They were hypnotizing...

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I remember back in the day in clareview me and my friends would consume substances legal mid october then go to this place called fat boyz donair right on victoria trail.

They closed down but it was great. Would munch on their 3 lb donair no problem... now? probably get through half in a sitting if they were open lmao.

Top donair, right beside swiss I heard was better than swiss funny enough... I have to check that one out tomorrow lol.

Last edited:

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Late to the Donair party...has anyone mentioned Nikki's Donair in the Westmount food court? One of the best ive had.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
So... they're Gyros?

Lots in Michigan, everywhere really.

A donair is a variation to a gyro. Same concept but different meats and sauces can be used.

Canada
A King of Donair outlet in Halifax at Pizza Corner
A variation known as donair was introduced in Halifax, Nova Scotia, in the early 1970s.[45] Peter Gamoulakos started selling Greek-style gyros at Velos Pizza in the nearby village of Bedford, but soon adapted the customary recipe by using spiced ground beef, Lebanese flatbread, and inventing the distinctive sweet donair sauce made with condensed milk, vinegar, sugar, and garlic. He called it by the doner name rather than gyros, but it came to be pronounced, and spelled, as donair.[46][47][48] Gamoulakos in 1973 opened the first King of Donair restaurant on Quinpool Road in Halifax.[49] In 2015, Halifax named donair the city's official food.[50]

Doner kebab - Wikipedia

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
I recently got the Mac Attack from Spot On Donair on Ellerslie.. claimed to be the most donair meat in town and I can confidently say that given my weight (around 240) i was a full 1% donair meat that day. Delicious but I had 3 naps that day.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
I realize this post was a year ago but Jimmy's A&A (1401 20th Ave NW) has been the only good donair I've found in Calgary
It’s funny how you responded to this year old tweet because I just moved back to Edmonton 2 weeks ago lol.

I did try Jimmies it was okay but I thought overrated . Everyone said it was the best in the city .

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
It’s funny how you responded to this year old tweet because I just moved back to Edmonton 2 weeks ago lol.

I did try Jimmies it was okay but I thought overrated . Everyone said it was the best in the city .
Not the best I've ever had but the best I've had in Calgary. I'm still searching and try all the small shops when I can.

My favourite is still Busters in Spruce Grove

Reactions: Mav3rick07

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
Went to Eddie's recently and it was very good. Their pizza was okay.

Will try Swiss and Top Donair next! Will be surprised if they can surpass Eddie's. I've only gone to Swiss once a long time ago and never been to their neighbor.

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Not the best I've ever had but the best I've had in Calgary. I'm still searching and try all the small shops when I can.

My favourite is still Busters in Spruce Grove

My Donair on 16th avenue NW(Calgary) was always my go-to. Generous portions and if you’re a regular the guy gives you deals.

I just moved to Edmonton so I can’t wait to try out all the spots here .

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
damn, haven't had one in years since I moved, there are some places about 25 mins away but always getting other food I miss lol next time I'm getting a giant donair and shawarma

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
A donair is a variation to a gyro. Same concept but different meats and sauces can be used.

Doner kebab - Wikipedia
It's my first time in Nova Scotia, so I just tried KOD on Quinneport this afternoon. Very good, and likely the messiest donair ever. There was enough meat and fixings on it that a flatbread two sizes bigger couldn't have contained the contents. The meat was definitely a bit different than what we get in Edmonton.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Man Swiss Doniar should open up one more. Franchise it. South side. I won a large franchise right now. I would love to Run a Swiss for them lol. Best Donairs ever...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad