OT: Donairs: The official food of the HF Oilers board :Part 2

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Try more subs on 50th street and roper road by the barbecue place there. I grew up in the southeast and it's hands down my fav.

OH Ya I have had a donair there as well.....in the strip mall by the registry? just down from Lumberjacks.
I used to live in Lee Ridge, so hit up alot of places around there....before that I lived near Whyte, and I used to go to Charles Smart, Queens, etc, and the one that was next to Rebar...which was pretty good. (although, I was always loaded when I had it)

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
They don't call em donairs where I am from. It was super confusing at first.

This is generally a Canadian-ism.

As I now live in Germany I cringe a little when I hear Canadians say "Dun-air" or Doe-nair".

Turkish: döner or döner kebap
English: doner or donner (or in Canada donair)
Similar food as: Arab shawarma, Greek gyros, and Mexican al pastor

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

As I now live in Germany I cringe a little when I hear Canadians say "Dun-air" or Doe-nair".

There was this girl I used to date, she was very pretty with quite the rack. She would never drink regular beer, only craft. She didn't own a TV or go to movies because she preferred to read books. When she got groceries she would only shop at organic grocery stores instead of places like Suoerstore. She would also always correct people's grammar mistakes, such as they're, their and there. Within a month I stopped talking to her.

I'm pretty sure that this is the male version of her. I will continue calling it a "Doe-nair" and continue living my life.

Reactions: Simby

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
There was this girl I used to date, she was very pretty with quite the rack. She would never drink regular beer, only craft. She didn't own a TV or go to movies because she preferred to read books. When she got groceries she would only shop at organic grocery stores instead of places like Suoerstore. She would also always correct people's grammar mistakes, such as they're, their and there. Within a month I stopped talking to her.

I'm pretty sure that this is the male version of her. I will continue calling it a "Doe-nair" and continue living my life.

:laugh:

Brian McDavid

Aug 4, 2017
Oil City Roadhouse

:handclap: Yes because the incorrect pronunciation is 'cringe-worthy'

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
For anyone who lives in the new boonies like I do Creekwood Convenience actually makes a very solid donair. It has saved my life on more than a few mornings

40oz

Jan 21, 2007

Well they arent the same thing so they really dont need to be pronounced the same way. Donair's are anglicized in both ingredients and name. It's just based off a doner kebob.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Went to Primetime for the first time this past summer around dinner time. I was behind 7 people but man, I've never waited that long for a donair, about half an hour. Their donair poutine looks ridiculous and seems very popular, the donair probably wouldn't stray me from the beaten path.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
99 Sub and Donair (formerly known as Mike's) on 51st Ave. & 99 St. consistently makes good donairs.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Code:
Went to Primetime for the first time this past summer around dinner time. I was behind 7 people but man, I've never waited that long for a donair, about half an hour. Their donair poutine looks ridiculous and seems very popular, the donair probably wouldn't stray me from the beaten path.

I've never eaten, but the lines are always 6-8 people deep when I pass by. You didn't like it? I've been intrigued by the smell wafting from the place.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Any people living in Calgary know of any good donair places ? I've been craving one lately .

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
I sadly discovered Papa D's in Mill Woods Town Center has closed down. It's a shame, they served far superior donairs than what Primetime is peddling down the block.

Is that one in Milbourne Mall, Zach's I think it's called, still a thing? I've heard good things about them, but this was some time ago.

madmutter

F**king Phenomenal
Jun 6, 2009
Freddy's in Acheson has sadly changed hands and the donair has gone from good to awful. It was always just a lunch option in an industrial area if you were working nearby but I won't be back.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
Swiss Donair is my go to...but I went to Eddies Donair on 167 ave and 91 street as I just moved into Klarvatten...and I must admit, it was very tasty and I was impressed. They also offer an amazing walk in special for pep pizza.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I tried a bit of an odd-ball donair felt like straying from the norm tonight was called the Paris Du Chicken from Vegas Donair had cabbage, pickled turnip, and fries in it; it doesn't like it should work, but it did. If you want to experiment and stray from the beaten path of the traditional donair might be worth a try, don't expect it to become your new favorite, but it was different and tasty.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

So she's single now?

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I haven't seen much love for it in here, but Roma Pizza & Donair has some great donair. My current go-to. 118 ST and 40 Ave. Check it out.
This place is very good.

Nothing compares to Lynnwood Donair before they closed, but I had a donair from this place recently and it's very good.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
If your out south of E-Town,

Beaumont has Maina's Donair. AMAZING!!!

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Interesting relationship :sarcasm:

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
Interesting relationship :sarcasm:

Best part is that somewhere on another internet message board is a woman with the following story: "I once dated this guy who couldn't really spell, who spent hours watching the Big Bang Theory and who thought that 'beer' was whatever swill MilerCoors was shoveling at us that month. I'd talk and he'd just stare at my chest. Within a month I stopped talking to him."

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Best part is that somewhere on another internet message board is a woman with the following story: "I once dated this guy who couldn't really spell, who spent hours watching the Big Bang Theory and who thought that 'beer' was whatever swill MilerCoors was shoveling at us that month. I'd talk and he'd just stare at my chest. Within a month I stopped talking to him."

:lol: That probably sounds about right.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Another shoutout to Roma Pizza and Donair. If you're in the area you should give it a try.

It's a struggle for me to limit my monthly visits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->