Management Don Sweeney VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Kind of funny to read now- some hate for McAvoy, lots of "not a bad pick, would have been happier if we'd taken so and so instead of Charlie." You just never know- lots of distaste for the Frederic pick obviously, but no reason to think now that it was a such a stretch. Other than Toronto and Winnipeg, think of all the teams that passed on McAvoy and wouldn't they rather have him than whoever they drafted? (Okay Arizona and Calgary have good players, but I'd take a #1 D-man over either Tkachuk or Keller). In fact, outside of those 5, at this point why do we think Frederic is potentially any worse that whoever else was drafted ahead of him? Dealer Donnie really hosed up that draft, didn't he . . . :laugh:

EDIT: I just thought of this too-ZOMG!!! We could have had Jesper Bratt. Donnie sucks!

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Thanks Lou, you're right! I just looked it up instead of relying on my memory. For all of these years I thought that it was the other way around. Upset for no reason. It's funny how memory works. Now, about that girl who wouldn't go to the freshman dance with me in highschool.....

Ha. That's what I loved about Facebook when I had it in like 2009...all those same girls who wouldn't go to the dance with you all of a sudden wanted to go grab a coffee or "catch up". No thanks.

As for Foster, I remember hearing Sinden in like '81 maybe saying they would have taken Bossy during an Islanders telecast. That's the only reason I remembered.

Reactions: Strafer

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Thats why I said check back in a year. With the guys who haven't played in the Nhl yet.
15 nhlers in a 3yr draft span that would be unreal. I'm looking at more like 12 what is still great, as some are sure to struggle in becoming NHL regulars but I hope your more accurate.

The bottom line is Sweeney and company did a great job in drafting in this 3yr period.

Even if none of the guys outside of the six who are in Boston now ever make it, they still did a really good job in the 3 year period from 2014-16.

Go back and look at their history, from 2000-2002 this franchise drafted ZERO players who played 500 NHL games. Same with 2007-2009.

Then in a 4-year stretch inbetween (2003-2006) they drafted 10 guys with 500 games played (I counted Sobotka who would have 500 GP if he has stayed in the NHL and not done a KHL stint). And that stretch is considered to be really good.

Bruins have likely drafted at minimum 6 guys in 3 years who should play 500+ NHL games. And have the potential to equal that number of 10, if not surpass it, in one less year no less.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I have been waiting and looking forward to the next core taking over from this excellent core we have now. Could we have got better players? sure but 20/20 vision is always right. They were analyzing 17 year olds for a highly public career. Where else in society does that happen, there is a lot of guess work and not a lot of history to go on. They went with sure picks and gambles but by sheer numbers they should better the odds. As we see so far some have come into play earlier then we thought. You have to give credit to Sweeney, the AHL and NHL coaching staff and the vets for bringing it all home. The future looks bright and I am happy about the direction.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I have been waiting and looking forward to the next core taking over from this excellent core we have now. Could we have got better players? sure but 20/20 vision is always right. They were analyzing 17 year olds for a highly public career. Where else in society does that happen, there is a lot of guess work and not a lot of history to go on. They went with sure picks and gambles but by sheer numbers they should better the odds. As we see so far some have come into play earlier then we thought. You have to give credit to Sweeney, the AHL and NHL coaching staff and the vets for bringing it all home. The future looks bright and I am happy about the direction.

Right on. Frustrating to look back and see what could have been, but how many people would have taken Bergeron in 2003 a round earlier? Marchand? Krejci? Pasta? McAvoy? Carlo? There's nothing you can do about it. It's tough because they had already dropped so much, but DeBrusk is already solid and we'll see what Senyshyn and Zboril can do. All three could be very good players.

It was a mistake and a pretty big one, but you can't overlook all that Sweeney has done. Besides that draft, Sweeney and co have gotten some absolute gems. I liked McAvoy at the time but I remember most of us wanted Fabbro... uh, I think he picked right. Look much youth is on the NHL team, and look how stacked our cupboards are. This team is good today and they're built for the future. Seeing them finally get healthy and mesh has been a ton of fun, and it's only going to get better.

I'd like to see him win a few trades, but he rebuilt this team on the fly without gutting it. Those two non playoff years sucked, but any other year, we likely get in both seasons. Plus, you have to consider the absolute shitshow he Incorporated from Chia.

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
DS is doing a fine job with the mess Chiapet left him!
If you want to see a crapshow, watch Chiapets new team and he got Connor Mc David for free!
Not to mention the Cap Hell he's putting the Oilers in with all those insane contracts he's been throwing around. Does his MO sound familiar. I guess he didn't learn anything from his time in Boston.

Reactions: DKH and Oates2Neely

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
If you want to see a crapshow, watch Chiapets new team and he got Connor Mc David for free!
Not to mention the Cap Hell he's putting the Oilers in with all those insane contracts he's been throwing around. Does his MO sound familiar. I guess he didn't learn anything from his time in Boston.

And yet some people wish he was still here.
I've said it before, He was a great GM up until he won the cup.
After the cup he lost just about every single trade he made, and lost big time.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere

Since he's been in Edmonton he's dealt:
Taylor Hall
Jordan Eberle
Justin Schultz big reason the pens won the Cup last yr.
The 16th pick in the 2015 draft which turned out to be none other than.........................................................................................Mathew Barzal), for Griffin Reinhart.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Chiarelli's 2010-11 season (starting in the offseason) was the best single season of any Bruins GM I've seen in my 38 Bruins watching years.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Chiarelli's 2010-11 season (starting in the offseason) was the best single season of any Bruins GM I've seen in my 38 Bruins watching years.
Agreed. He wasn't bad in the years following aside from the brutal Chris Kelly signing and the infamous Seguin trade. Then there were a few NTC handed out. Overall, he was great and I'd liked to have kept him. He wasn't afraid to make a trade.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Agreed. He wasn't bad in the years following aside from the brutal Chris Kelly signing and the infamous Seguin trade. Then there were a few NTC handed out. Overall, he was great and I'd liked to have kept him. He wasn't afraid to make a trade.

I thought he should be gone the year before he got fired. That one season though was phenomenal. Campbell and Nasty Nate that summer...re signed Seids iirc,,, drafted seguin (easy) but was finally payment for Kessel.....the deals for Kelly, Pevs and kaberle...

Reactions: Oates2Neely

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere

I think it was time for him to go to. He dug a pretty big Hole by issuing some rather large NMC contracts and Sweeneys done a fantastic job of digging his way out of it.

PC reign in Edmonton has been pretty bad to say the least.

And if Jack Studnicka turns out to be a solid NHLer.:partytime:

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
It's not about the fact that they simply missed on Barzal, it's that he was consensus the best player available, they had 3 shots to take him, and not only passed on him, but really reached on one of the picks. It's only 3 seasons later, but it's a young man's league. Yes Zboril and Senyshyn may end up as good players, but in the current NHL, the vast majority of players who will be something, are at least in the league at this point.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
It's not about the fact that they simply missed on Barzal, it's that he was consensus the best player available, they had 3 shots to take him, and not only passed on him, but really reached on one of the picks. It's only 3 seasons later, but it's a young man's league. Yes Zboril and Senyshyn may end up as good players, but in the current NHL, the vast majority of players who will be something, are at least in the league at this point.
At least we’re down to “really reaching on [just] one of the picks”.

My favorite was that they could have picked these kids in the second round (as if they hadnt pulled in a couple of steals there).

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA

So you want to trade Mcavoy for Chychyrn, Fabbro, or Bean? Because they were all the consensus BPA at 14 in 2016. Debrusk for Svechnikov?

Last edited:

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
So you want to trade Mcavoy for Chychyrn, Fabbro, or Bean? Because they were all the consensus BPA at 14 in 2016. Debrusk for Svechnikov?

How about you defend Senyshyn instead of Brazal. Was McAvoy ranked in the middle of the second round and viewed as a one dimensional player like Senyshyn? Every player you mention was close in pre draft rankings, Senyshyn had the TSN broadcasters and everyone in the arena going who? Why? And they appear to have been right.

A big part of Sweeney's legacy will be screwing up those picks in the 2015 first round. DeBrusk looks like a good pick, Senyshyn and Zboril not so much.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
How about you defend Senyshyn instead of Brazal. Was McAvoy ranked in the middle of the second round and viewed as a one dimensional player like Senyshyn? Every player you mention was close in pre draft rankings, Senyshyn had the TSN broadcasters and everyone in the arena going who? Why? And they appear to have been right.

A big part of Sweeney's legacy will be screwing up those picks in the 2015 first round. DeBrusk looks like a good pick, Senyshyn and Zboril not so much.

Well according to you and everyone Zboril could bust and would still be a good pick because he was taken around where he should have been taken. So you think Sweeney's legacy will be picking Senyshyn over Barzal. I think Sweeney's legacy will be gambling on Mcavoy over the 3 higher ranked dmen, picking Debrusk over the several guys ranked higher than him that don't look as good, and snagging Carlo in the second.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Well according to you and everyone Zboril could bust and would still be a good pick because he was taken around where he should have been taken. So you think Sweeney's legacy will be picking Senyshyn over Barzal. I think Sweeney's legacy will be gambling on Mcavoy over the 3 higher ranked dmen, picking Debrusk over the several guys ranked higher than him that don't look as good, and snagging Carlo in the second.

And JFK, all in the same draft.

I know it's hard for some people to understand that the Bruins set up their franchise quite well moving forward with the 2015 draft, but it's true.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
And JFK, all in the same draft.

I know it's hard for some people to understand that the Bruins set up their franchise quite well moving forward with the 2015 draft, but it's true.

I think JFK will be an NHL player, a good 3c like Chris Kelly but maybe with better offense,but I was just using examples from the current roster. I also really like Zboril. He can skate,pass(very underrated aspect in his game), Shoot, and hit all very well. That's an impressive tool set to work with, he's got to work on consistency and making simple plays but I still think he can be good top 4 guy.

Senyshyn, unlike debrusk, didn't play a very NHL ready game in Juniors. But to his credit he did do some things that can translate well to the NHL game and that's heading to the net and parking your ass there and cutting behind the defencemen, in between him and the goaltender, on a breakaways. Speed doesn't translate as well if a little pressure will keep you wide of the net but he never seemed to stray from that in my viewing of him. So he's got that going for him. If he can be more aggressive away from the puck I think he could become something like hybrid version of Chris Kreider and Micheal Grabner. I don't think he'll ever be as physical as Kreider, though.

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
No he wasn't. But he was ranked 17th yet there's one player i would take over him in that redraft. But let's trash Sweeney for the one obviously bad draft pick and ignore the game changer that was drafting Mcavoy, plus the many other good to great picks he's made.
Nobody is ignoring those, that's just not what we're talking about. You made the false equivalency, none of these things are related. Taking someone who is ranked a few spots below, and reaching into the mid to late 2nd round when you have 3 shots at who is by far, by far considered BPA (much wider than the margins between where McAvoy, Chychrun, Fabbro, and Bean were ranked), are two completely different things.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Will McAvoy finally convince people here to stop giving too much credit to public scouting lists like Redline?

Here is their Top 10 defenseman list they provided to USA Today just prior to the draft.
NHL draft 2016: Defense filled with puck movers, but no clear No. 1

They have McAvoy at #9(!) behind Niemelainen and Stanley. WTF? Read their blurb on him with statements like, ' is just an average skater'. Niemelainen can't even crack the Finn U20 WJC roster while Stanley looks like he finally gets a crack at Canada's while McAvoy led his team to WJC gold last year.

The Bruins did a lot of scouting on him and there is a video of Sweeney post draft talking about doing their due diligence. He talked about speaking to Bruins prospects Grzelcyk (BU's C, best dman, and McAvoy's main partner) and JFK (BU's A, and #1 center) to get their take on him on and off the ice.

Or maybe you think Redline is flawless and agree with them having Zboril to the Bruins at 14 ahead of Chabot (pre trade mock drat).
NHL mock draft: Connor McDavid, Jack Eichel, and then what?

In 2017, Oettinger was a 1st round pick yet fellow American Swayman picked in the 4th round is outplaying him on a weaker college team and might even beat him out as a starter for Team USA WJC in a couple weeks.

We have gone from the Zach Hamill days to the Jake DeBrusk days, and the Tommy Cross days to the Brandon Carlo days. This new Bruins drafting team is not perfect but they are getting hits on almost every pick and a couple of home runs with Pasta and Chucky.

Reactions: Chief Nine and DKH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad