Don Cherry & the Coach's Corner | 2017/2018 Playoffs Edition

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Just a reminder that no one is forcing you to watch Coach's Corner if it is so offensive.......use that great invention called a remote control for those 7 wonderful minutes.
I don't watch coaches corner very often anymore. Cherry is losing his mind. He is very contradictory. I did hear him say that Frederick Anderson is the best goalie in the league. Anderson is playing well this year but he is far from the best goaltender in the league.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I don't watch coaches corner very often anymore. Cherry is losing his mind. He is very contradictory. I did hear him say that Frederick Anderson is the best goalie in the league. Anderson is playing well this year but he is far from the best goaltender in the league.

Cherry knows that the leaf D is atrocious that is why he saying Anderson has to be the best goalie in the league.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Cherry knows that the leaf D is atrocious that is why he saying Anderson has to be the best goalie in the league.
I know why he said it bit it just isn't true. Its probably not the most ridiculous thing he has ever said.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
He'll have that cushy gig til he dies, I reckon.

CBC obviously won't force him out and I don't see him stepping off his soapbox any time soon.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
He's said some dumb stuff before,but he's usually right about whats going on in the game.almost every other guy on there is phony.Ron Maclean used his prestigious,cushy job to try to hatchet burrows career.made crap up because he's a closet refferee.Than he held out for more money from CBC,when you think about,my tax money pays this idiot and he craps all over the canucks.the reason i don't watch isn't cherry,it's the rest of the show.Ron Maclean absolutely sucks,

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
He'll have that cushy gig til he dies, I reckon.

CBC obviously won't force him out and I don't see him stepping off his soapbox any time soon.
He is not employed by CBC anymore I believe Rogers now pays him with their purchase of all NHL rights in Canada.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
We had the annual reminder that Christmas is all about Baby Jesus! :handclap: Loved him showing the Habs as well as Vinny Trochek & Johnny Huberdeau wearing their Grapes-like Christmas suits. And he rightfully again declared Sid Crosby the greatest in the world. All in all a great segment tonight.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
And traffic would move along quicker if everyone didn't slow down and watch the carnage. But that's human nature.

Human nature these days is also to bitch and moan and be offended by everything....and there I'll stop because I will get on a roll and offend someone and get banned ;)

Reactions: funky

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Profile on Grapes in the NY Times

Realizing He ‘Used to Be Good,’ Don Cherry Recalibrates His Rancor

MISSISSAUGA, Ontario — Don Cherry, who can be as loud as the jackets he wears during his weekly “Coach’s Corner” segments on “Hockey Night in Canada,” was worried a year ago that he was losing his edge.

He was at risk of becoming a dinosaur, droning on about hockey’s best pugilists when the N.H.L. was turning toward more skill and speed.
After careful introspection, and inspiration from his wife, Cherry, 83, has roared back to being Canada’s Lion in Winter and hockey’s most outspoken voice, well into his fourth decade as a broadcaster.

“Everyone on television knows more about hockey than me,” Cherry said. “But they don’t know hockey. There’s a difference. They know all the stats, they know all the players, the whole deal. But I can pick out things no one else picks out.”
Continue reading the main story

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
It's ironic that often when criticizing Don for insensitive comments, people will do so standing on a platform made of Ageism.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Profile on Grapes in the NY Times

Realizing He ‘Used to Be Good,’ Don Cherry Recalibrates His Rancor

MISSISSAUGA, Ontario — Don Cherry, who can be as loud as the jackets he wears during his weekly “Coach’s Corner” segments on “Hockey Night in Canada,” was worried a year ago that he was losing his edge.

He was at risk of becoming a dinosaur, droning on about hockey’s best pugilists when the N.H.L. was turning toward more skill and speed.
After careful introspection, and inspiration from his wife, Cherry, 83, has roared back to being Canada’s Lion in Winter and hockey’s most outspoken voice, well into his fourth decade as a broadcaster.

“Everyone on television knows more about hockey than me,” Cherry said. “But they don’t know hockey. There’s a difference. They know all the stats, they know all the players, the whole deal. But I can pick out things no one else picks out.”
Continue reading the main story

Great article....thanks for sharing it with us.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Love this quote.

Same could be said about all these "Corsi Warriors" and per-60'ers, on this site, and in the (internet) "hockey community". In their minds, all the different numbers or "advanced statistics" they can come up with, prove 100%, whatever different point they are trying to get across, whether its about an individual player or whole team. They continuously hide behind said "stats" or graphs, and say you cant argue or question them, when in reality (most of the time) the only issue is what "these people" are attempting to claim these numbers are showing. Some of these "stats" are flawed by focusing too much on an individual/insignificant piece of context, whereas most of them completely ignore context altogether.

Cherry, and his honesty, is and has been great for the "hockey community" and "culture" of the sport. Same could be said for his (small?) impact on (mainly Canadian) society and young hockey players. If you don't "like" Don Cherry, chances are you've never really played any competitive hockey.

Last edited by a moderator:

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Love this quote.

Same could be said about all these "Corsi Warriors" and per-60'ers, on this site, and in the (internet) "hockey community". In their minds, all the different numbers or "advanced statistics" they can come up with, prove 100%, whatever different point they are trying to get across, whether its about an individual player or whole team. They continuously hide behind said "stats" or graphs, and say you cant argue or question them, when in reality (most of the time) the only issue is what "these people" are attempting to claim these numbers are showing. Some of these "stats" are flawed by focusing too much on an individual/insignificant piece of context, whereas most of them completely ignore context altogether.

Cherry, and his honesty, is and has been great for the "hockey community" and "culture" of the sport. Same could be said for his (small?) impact on (mainly Canadian) society and young hockey players. If you don't "like" Don Cherry, chances are you've never really played any competitive hockey.
I used to like Cherry. But now its hard to listen to the guy. He contradicts himself all the time. And he is totally bias for the Leafs.

Last edited by a moderator:

PeanutButterPoti

Dec 17, 2017
To be fair, his bias has always been there. I believe that's why them gave him a "corner" in the first place instead of colour commentary during games. He never could hide his allegiance.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
To be fair, his bias has always been there. I believe that's why them gave him a "corner" in the first place instead of colour commentary during games. He never could hide his allegiance.
He switched his allegiance from the Bruins to the Leafs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad