Don Cherry & the Coach's Corner | 2017/2018 Playoffs Edition

Mar 12, 2009
He mentioned a couple of them being Russians...there are no Russians on the Soo lol.

Go to your safe place where everyone agrees with your opinion lol Actually Cherry is right on many of his views but but the snow flakes can't take it .His style may be abrasive but he is right on on many of his views on hockey and society lol
It sounds like Cherry is a staple in your echo chamber.

Last edited:
Reactions: gertbfrobe16

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Or.. watch the whole game. Its the playoffs. Greyhounds are a far superior team yes. But... you simply cant stop playing during this time of year. Not the time of year to take your foot off the pedal. Ever. Also... Saginaw was taking runs at players and simply had no interest in playing anything but goon puck so the Soo showed them up where it counts. Not a huge fan of the plays.. would prefer a non showboat move but watch the whole game before judging.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Or.. watch the whole game. Its the playoffs. Greyhounds are a far superior team yes. But... you simply cant stop playing during this time of year. Not the time of year to take your foot off the pedal. Ever. Also... Saginaw was taking runs at players and simply had no interest in playing anything but goon puck so the Soo showed them up where it counts. Not a huge fan of the plays.. would prefer a non showboat move but watch the whole game before judging.

He's not saying they should stop playing or that they don't need to pour it on, he's saying that they shouldn't be scoring stupid goals like they did when the score is 6-0 and that, when they do score their 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th goals in a blowout, they shouldn't be running around like they just scored in overtime in game 7 of the Cup finals.

I don't think either is too much to ask. I guess sportsmanship and respect in hockey died a long time ago, though.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
He's not saying they should stop playing or that they don't need to pour it on, he's saying that they shouldn't be scoring stupid goals like they did when the score is 6-0 and that, when they do score, they shouldn't be running around like they just scored in overtime in game 7 of the Cup finals.

I don't think either is too much to ask. I guess sportsmanship and respect in hockey died a long time ago, though.

The fact people will say with a straight face "don't do something skilled or exciting, it might hurt the other teams feelings" is 100% the worst part of hockey.

You don't want them doing that? Stop them.

You're not good enough to stop them? Why should that be their problem?

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
The fact people will say with a straight face "don't do something skilled or exciting, it might hurt the other teams feelings" is 100% the worst part of hockey.

You don't want them doing that? Stop them.

You're not good enough to stop them? Why should that be their problem?

As I said, respect and sportsmanship died a long time ago in hockey, I guess...

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Considering the same blowhard preaching "respect and sportsmanship" throws out casual xenophobia like it's nothing, you can miss me with that holier than thou routine

Unlike you, I can consider whether a statement by an individual is correct or not irregardless what their other, unsavory views might be...

In this case, Cherry is correct.

"I can tell they really respect me by the way they took their foot off the gas and stopped trying half way through the game"

Nice strawman...

No one is saying they should stop playing or stop scoring or anything like that. But they're scoring hotshot goals and acting like they've won the Cup 5 times over when it's 8-0. That's completely different and is showing disrespect to the opponent.

Last edited:

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Its playoff hockey.... dont want to be scored on? Stop them. Yah.. its over the top but they are kids. 17 year old did the between the legs goal in his 2nd ever playoff game. They arent pros. Teenagers have emotion and like to show off, regardless of where they are from. Im a huge Cherry fan but hockey is a skill game and needs more exciting plays... whats less Canadian then a kid showing off during a game? A grown up ripping a bunch of kids on national television.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Its playoff hockey.... dont want to be scored on? Stop them. Yah.. its over the top but they are kids. 17 year old did the between the legs goal in his 2nd ever playoff game. They arent pros. Teenagers have emotion and like to show off, regardless of where they are from. Im a huge Cherry fan but hockey is a skill game and needs more exciting plays... whats less Canadian then a kid showing off during a game? A grown up ripping a bunch of kids on national television.

So you agree it was wrong?

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I agree he was showing off. Teenagers show off, they historically have and likely will for the foreseeable future. My main point is... Cherry rips on teenagers on national television for showing skill and then says how un-Canadian it is. Which is worse? 17 year old scoring between the leg goal... or Canadian icon ripping a Canadian 17 year old boy for scoring a goal on national television for millions to see.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
I agree he was showing off. Teenagers show off, they historically have and likely will for the foreseeable future. My main point is... Cherry rips on teenagers on national television for showing skill and then says how un-Canadian it is. Which is worse? 17 year old scoring between the leg goal... or Canadian icon ripping a Canadian 17 year old boy for scoring a goal on national television for millions to see.

I think a 17-year-old can take some criticism. It's not like Cherry told him to go kill himself or something. He just offered some words of advice and suggested he might regret it when those players use his unsportsmanlike actions as motivation at a later date.

And yes, I do think poor sportsmanship is worse than calling out poor sportsmanship, even on such a far reaching platform as national TV. Absolutely.

Reactions: biturbo19

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Speaking of unsportsmanlike like .. the whole root of the issue if you watch the game. Was Saginaw's lack of wanting to play hockey, and only looking to take runs and cheap shots. If that is your goal, i would consider that the definition of unsportsmanlike. The Soo decided to run up the score and make some plays, while I agree they were a little over the top in some plays. Our team in the Soo is built for puck possesion and skill, we dont fight or go after players... if teams play that game we score, and keep scoring. Anyone looking to critize the Soo players in this situation.. Watch the whole game. We simply put a beating on the team on the score board rather than physical. If we won 5 to 0 and had 5 fights were we beat the other teams players into a pulp like the Probert days, Cherry would probably praise us as the next coming of the good ol' Bruins or Flyers. Beat a team with skill and its unacceptable.

Reactions: loojay

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Yet you know so MUCH about him and slam him from behind the sanctity of your computer. My oh my you are so courageous. In your opinion is this how cultured and sophisticated people act towards others? Share your 'wisdom' and let us know. :eek:

aW0wA.gif

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I caught game two of the Hurricanes-Rebels series in which the Canes won handily. The trash talking and the "wooos" were way over the top for my liking. Not a one of them doing the chirping were Russian. Kids being assholes transcends nationality.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Speaking of unsportsmanlike like .. the whole root of the issue if you watch the game. Was Saginaw's lack of wanting to play hockey, and only looking to take runs and cheap shots. If that is your goal, i would consider that the definition of unsportsmanlike. The Soo decided to run up the score and make some plays, while I agree they were a little over the top in some plays. Our team in the Soo is built for puck possesion and skill, we dont fight or go after players... if teams play that game we score, and keep scoring. Anyone looking to critize the Soo players in this situation.. Watch the whole game. We simply put a beating on the team on the score board rather than physical. If we won 5 to 0 and had 5 fights were we beat the other teams players into a pulp like the Probert days, Cherry would probably praise us as the next coming of the good ol' Bruins or Flyers. Beat a team with skill and its unacceptable.

Whataboutism in a nutshell. This is just deflect, deflect, deflect.

All of that can still be true and that still doesn't change my point.

For the record, though, can you provide some specific examples of these "cheap shots"?

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
"There’s how many players suffering from post-concussion syndrome? How many guys have committed suicide? Here’s a guy (Cherry) promoting fighting, who’s made a ton of money from his Rock’em Sock’em Hockey videos,” the coach added. “He should be promoting hockey skill.”

:rolleyes:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->