Don Cherry & Sid Crosby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy*

Sotnos said:
:handclap: Only a few? ;)

I read about this horrible act of disrespect before I saw it, and I was thinking this kid must have done a backflip in front of the other team's bench, flipped them off, and followed that with some fist-pumping to generate this much ire. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

Thank god Kovalchuk didn't do this, this thread would be 10 times as long. :shakehead
I think who is overblowing it are the people who fly into a rage at the mere suggestion that Cherry may have a point & Crosby may have done something wrong.

TexSen

Nov 20, 2003
Schaefer..Beer..mmmm
Sammy said:
I think who is overblowing it are the people who fly into a rage at the mere suggestion that Cherry may have a point & Crosby may have done something wrong.
Brad Richards and Vinny Lecavalier said today that they showed the same emotions and celebrated some goals with the same enthusiasm back in junior.

One of them even went on to say that if the kid was from Ontario Cherry wouldn't have a problem with it.

I say maybe/maybe not.

For you fans keeping score, Cherry has gone from being called pro-Canadian/anti-European to pro-Ontario/anti-everyone else.

Pretty soon we'll be down to Cherry is pro 713 area code/anti-everyone else.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Fozz said:
What I find funny in all of this is that Cherry has the nerve to call someone a hot dog while he's the worst hot dog of them all! Anyone saw his 'entry' at the outdoor game last week? Come on!

Cherry is a hotdog. So what? Its his job, he's a media personality. He's paid very good money to be a hotdog.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
me2 said:
Cherry is a hotdog. So what? Its his job, he's a media personality. He's paid very good money to be a hotdog.

His main job is supposed to be to inform, which we may argue he does. The fact he is an entertainer is icing on the cake.

So I'd say you are right, in a way. But it goes the other way too.

Players are also there to offer a show, in some way. I enjoy the entertainment value that skilled players bring. I like nice goals. And I hate it when teams go easy because they are winning while fans are in the stands and have paid a ticket to see at least three period of hard-fought hockey.

TexSen

Nov 20, 2003
Schaefer..Beer..mmmm
JasonMacIsaac said:
Cherry went overboard with Halifax media moching Crosby saying he is the golden child in his most sarcastic voice. Now he just a plain ass.
Bob McKenzie has weighed in on the Crosby and the Cherry/CHA hockey ad bashing issue in his latest posting on tsn.ca.

To paraphrase McKenzie he says Crosby is a kid being a kid, Gretz had the same label at his age etc. etc.

Says the people offended by the CHA ads strike him as funny since the only people that should be offended by the commercials are the ones that act like the portrayal in the ads.

I'd link to the article but this pre-2K computer I'm stuck on took long enough just to get here.....

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
JasonMacIsaac said:
Cherry went overboard with Halifax media moching Crosby saying he is the golden child in his most sarcastic voice. Now he just a plain ass.

Cherry=Archie Bunker

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
TexSen said:
For you fans keeping score, Cherry has gone from being called pro-Canadian/anti-European to pro-Ontario/anti-everyone else.

Pretty soon we'll be down to Cherry is pro 713 area code/anti-everyone else.

This isn't that difficult to figure out Cherry:

Canada >>> Europe. So any Canadian gets praise, any Euro doing the same thing gets ignored, or mocked.

Ontario >>> Canada. This is where Crosby falls, since no Europeans were involved. If it had been a Leaf prospect or Ontario born player that did these "heinous" acts, he'd be telling us how great he was. Note that if Crosby had pulled off this move to win the World Juniors against Russia, then we would be in the first rule above, and this suddenly would have been a *great thing for Canada*.

Kingston >>> Ontario. Out of all Ontarians, some are more special than others. Kingston guys like Gilmour and Muller are clearly the best players in the league, cuter than the others, and more kissable too.

Sammy*

Crosbyfan said:
Cherry=Archie Bunker

Its kinda ironic as to how intolerant the anti-Cherry/pro Ilya,Sidney/Alexander contigent are when it comes to Cherry making a quite reasoned remark concerning anything, but particularly a player they really like.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Sammy said:
Its kinda ironic as to how intolerant the anti-Cherry/pro Ilya,Sidney/Alexander contigent are when it comes to Cherry making a quite reasoned remark concerning anything, but particularly a player they really like.

I like Orr as much as I like Mario
I also liked Archie Bunker and I like Don Cherry ... very entertaining and sometimes he hits the nail on the head...just as often totally out to lunch

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Anfernic said:
Hey Crosby is on pace to beat Lemieux and Gretzky and LaFontaine marks, so he has the right to do evrything he want even if the score is 10-0. I watch that game and they were always three on his back, or they try to hurt him so he is not the problem let him show his talent. IMO when he will be 18 and will be on the NHL he will led the league in scoring and Cherry will love him.

This thread is just getting stupider and stupider. Cherry said one thing, and fairly minor thing too. If he likes him in 10 years people will carry on as he is a hypocrit for changing his mind. People are carrying only like Cherry hates the kid's guts. Where has Cherry ever said that? Cherry has said more good things about him than bad, but he points out one play and offers some GOOD advice and he gets villified for it.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
TexSen said:
Bob McKenzie has weighed in on the Crosby and the Cherry/CHA hockey ad bashing issue in his latest posting on tsn.ca.

To paraphrase McKenzie he says Crosby is a kid being a kid, Gretz had the same label at his age etc. etc.

Says the people offended by the CHA ads strike him as funny since the only people that should be offended by the commercials are the ones that act like the portrayal in the ads.

I'd link to the article but this pre-2K computer I'm stuck on took long enough just to get here.....

It's a nice article and McKenzie is right all the way.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
TexSen said:
Brad Richards and Vinny Lecavalier said today that they showed the same emotions and celebrated some goals with the same enthusiasm back in junior.

One of them even went on to say that if the kid was from Ontario Cherry wouldn't have a problem with it.
Interesting. Do you know which one of them said that?

Sammy*

me2 said:
This thread is just getting stupider and stupider. Cherry said one thing, and fairly minor thing too. If he likes him in 10 years people will carry on as he is a hypocrit for changing his mind. People are carrying only like Cherry hates the kid's guts. Where has Cherry ever said that? Cherry has said more good things about him than bad, but he points out one play and offers some GOOD advice and he gets villified for it.

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
There's nothing wrong with 'overcelebrating' goals when they mean something, such as Ilya Kovalchuk, but when his team is just killing the other team in the Q-whats-its-face league--OK? Come on. He doesn't need to slide around on his knees after scoring a goal in that kind of league. If it were the game-winner or in the NHL than you can't reall 'overcelebrate', but when the goal means practically nothing it looks a little funny and out of place. What if you were a Crosby fan and took a friend to that game....."Oh, there goes Crosby", you'd say as he slides by on his knees.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Foppa_Rules said:
There's nothing wrong with 'overcelebrating' goals when they mean something, such as Ilya Kovalchuk, but when his team is just killing the other team in the Q-whats-its-face league--OK? Come on. He doesn't need to slide around on his knees after scoring a goal in that kind of league. If it were the game-winner or in the NHL than you can't reall 'overcelebrate', but when the goal means practically nothing it looks a little funny and out of place. What if you were a Crosby fan and took a friend to that game....."Oh, there goes Crosby", you'd say as he slides by on his knees.

Sid "celebrated" his goal with his team mates, but it was much closer to "profusely apologizing to anyone who might be offended" than what you are describing.

Most people I know that heard Don Cherry and hadn't seen the goal thought that Sid overplayed it. After seeing the goal (and the lack of overcelebrating) they were impressed by the move and thought "what celebrating?"

Bandwagoner

Nov 18, 2003
Canada
Visit site
My feelings about this are kind of mixed. Now I am one of those traditional types who don't like to see a team try to run up the score on anyone... so in that frame of mind I wasn't really keen on what Crosby did. However, he's 16 freaking years old. He's been in the spotlight since he was roughly 12 or 13, people (especialyl Cherry) have to realize that he is still a kid, and he's going to do things like that. The point that everyone is making about how "if Sidney ever did that in the NHL hed get killed" is somewhat extreme. I firmly believe that Sidney is smart enough that he wouldn't do that at the NHL. Also I think Sidney just wanted to see if he could actually pull that move off. I don't think we're going to be seeing that every night from Sidney, so i think we should cut the kid some slack. He's a great hockey player, and if his opponents are getting so upset about the goals he is scoring and how he is celebrate there is a simple solution... PLAY SOME FREAKING DEFENSE!!! Anyways those are my two cents, but its probably not worth very much.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Oh please. I can't bealive the kind of heat Cherry has been taking about his comments. The move Crosby pulled if a move that is alright to pull off in pratice and we all know he's a talented kid but he seems to be a bit of a show boat. Cherry also ripped Lemieux when he didn't want to go to the pens on draft day because he didn't want to play for the pens now be it that is a different situation but what most announsers are frightned to say Cherry says it. Now most of you say if it was an Ontario boy who did it Cherry would be prasing him but that's compleat bull and your kidding your self if you think otherwise. Cherry ripped Domi for showboating after his fights repeadly and he's the hard nosed player Cherry likes from the OHL. Cherry is a say it as he sees it you may not always agree with the things he says or how he says it but you have to respect the guy for saying things 99% of the other people around the league wouldn't even venture to say. Like Shannahan said if it were my team he did that aginst *Crosby* (i forget the exact phrase he used but it was like) I'de let him know that he wouldn't do it again.. then he said somthing about a cross check or a fighting or somthing.. I forget but it's just somthing you don't do showing up a team like that will make other players around the league lose respect for you and to possably start gunning for you. Oh ps Crosby didn't look so impressive aginst my Screaming Eagles **Go Eagles GO**

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Joey24 said:
Oh please. I can't bealive the kind of heat Cherry has been taking about his comments. The move Crosby pulled if a move that is alright to pull off in pratice and we all know he's a talented kid but he seems to be a bit of a show boat. Cherry also ripped Lemieux when he didn't want to go to the pens on draft day because he didn't want to play for the pens now be it that is a different situation but what most announsers are frightned to say Cherry says it. Now most of you say if it was an Ontario boy who did it Cherry would be prasing him but that's compleat bull and your kidding your self if you think otherwise. Cherry ripped Domi for showboating after his fights repeadly and he's the hard nosed player Cherry likes from the OHL. Cherry is a say it as he sees it you may not always agree with the things he says or how he says it but you have to respect the guy for saying things 99% of the other people around the league wouldn't even venture to say. Like Shannahan said if it were my team he did that aginst *Crosby* (i forget the exact phrase he used but it was like) I'de let him know that he wouldn't do it again.. then he said somthing about a cross check or a fighting or somthing.. I forget but it's just somthing you don't do showing up a team like that will make other players around the league lose respect for you and to possably start gunning for you. Oh ps Crosby didn't look so impressive aginst my Screaming Eagles **Go Eagles GO**

what Shannahan said was that the move was fine and he had no problems with it. But he said the next time he was playing his team and Crosby was behinds the net he would go and try and take his head off with a check or something like that.

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
Patrick Roy is the owner of Quebec Remparts, the team who faces Rimouski when Crosby scored his "historical" goal. Previuously this week, Roy said the Corsby goal was exciting and that he has noproblem with it. He said, smiling, Crosby wouldn't had score such a goal against him...

Roy also said he hadn't problem with the emotion demonstrated by Crosby after the goals. He said his players also do it.

They were 14 700 fans yesterday in Quebec Colisée for the Quebec-Rimouski game. 14 700!!! More than in many NHL arenas. More than any other rink than NHL. For a junior game. Roy understands the impact of Crosby and the need for entertainment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->