Don Cherry & Sid Crosby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy*

RyanM said:
God forbid someone bring some EXCITEMENT to the game of hockey. I wish every player was going around scoring goals like Sidney Crosby does. I know it'd sure maeke me a lot more excited for when HNIC comes on and I fall asleep during a 2-1 trap-fest called an NHL game. Its refreshing to see guys like Sid and Ovechkin, it gives us hope that the NHL will be exciting again one day.
Just to get back to the original point of all this.
It was simply that Cherry will critisze Canadians, even if he likes them (& contrary to some of you Cherry haters/Crosby fanboys, he really likes Crosby).
Agree or disagree with his point, but its not so out there as to be worthy of the vitriol some of you spout.
Some of you people should try to be a little objective at times.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I agree with Don Cherry. The time for the HUGE celebration is the 2-1 goal late in the third. Not your wonderfully creative goal when it is 5-0.

I have no problem with wild celebrations (God bless Mike Foligno) but sticking it to someone when it is 5-0 is rather immature.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Habsolution said:
I'm asking myself the exact same questions.

Funny no one seems to have any answers to your post.

It was answered several pages ago, before the question was even posed:

"...no one here is suggesting what Crosby did was a crime against humanity. It was wrong, however, it needn't be blown out of context either.

What is really much more disturbing is that a few here are actually endorsing 'rubbing it in,' or suggesting he 'did the right thing.'

As if the very concepts you cite - 'the basics of respects and sportmanship' - are 'foolish' as one poster put it. Or unimportant."

No Martha Stewart rules. But assuming you are not familiar with the concept, if you embarass a team when you already have them beat badly, expect them not to react/retaliate somewhere down the road. That's all.

RyanM said:
God forbid someone bring some EXCITEMENT to the game of hockey. I wish every player was going around scoring goals like Sidney Crosby does. I know it'd sure maeke me a lot more excited for when HNIC comes on and I fall asleep during a 2-1 trap-fest called an NHL game. Its refreshing to see guys like Sid and Ovechkin, it gives us hope that the NHL will be exciting again one day.

Yes, in order to be exciting, the NHL needs...non-NHLers! Guys like Modano, #66, Forsberg, Thornton, Gaborik, on and on...they're boring! :shakehead

Why watch something that dulls your senses? Try a video game. :joker:

Anfernic

Feb 19, 2003
Quebec city
Visit site
Hey Crosby is on pace to beat Lemieux and Gretzky and LaFontaine marks, so he has the right to do evrything he want even if the score is 10-0. I watch that game and they were always three on his back, or they try to hurt him so he is not the problem let him show his talent. IMO when he will be 18 and will be on the NHL he will led the league in scoring and Cherry will love him.

SopelFan*

Cherry wants to be controversial. That's what gets ratings. If all you "Cherry-haters" don't like his show, why do you tune in every week? Because everyone wants to hear what he will say next. Don't watch if you don't like it.

SopelFan*

Anfernic said:
Hey Crosby is on pace to beat Lemieux and Gretzky and LaFontaine marks, so he has the right to do evrything he want even if the score is 10-0. I watch that game and they were always three on his back, or they try to hurt him so he is not the problem let him show his talent. IMO when he will be 18 and will be on the NHL he will led the league in scoring and Cherry will love him.
Or he will suffer from expectations being too high.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Trottier said:
"...no one here is suggesting what Crosby did was a crime against humanity. It was wrong

According to you, maybe. I have now seen the incident in question and I don't see anything wrong with it. And knowing you're a LONG time hockey fan, I am trying to figure out if you've wiped out of your memory the pre-90s era of hockey from your mind or if you've just decided to buy what Cherry's selling because he's Cherry.

I had not seen the so-called incident last night but now that I did, I am actually shocked that it may offend genuine hockey fans. This is the all-new all-shiny attitude hockey has taken this last decade thanks to increased scrutinity and yes, it's BAD for the game bad for the players and bad for the fans.

You want to talk about really crass incidents that shouldn't happen in pro hockey? Primadonnas engineering their own trade to Los Angeles. Primadonnas refusing to wear their Pens jersey when they are drafted. Primadonnas and their parents refusing to play in Quebec City. Laughable refereeing and laughable disciplinary measures by the league, players nowadays using their stick with virtual impunity even on the face of opponents and getting at worse a TWO MINUTE penalty for it, and so on. Those are the real culprits as to why the game is going down the shitter.

A young guy scoring a beautiful goal in a hockey game? Nope. That's skill. And I'll tell you, that's certainly not the kind of stunt I would like my player to pull in a super-close hockey game still on the line.

Trottier said:
What is really much more disturbing is that a few here are actually endorsing 'rubbing it in,' or suggesting he 'did the right thing.'

As if the very concepts you cite - 'the basics of respects and sportmanship' - are 'foolish' as one poster put it. Or unimportant."

Sportsmanship has taken a brand new meaning the last few years and you seem to have bought into it. What is the right or wrong thing to do when you play the game according to the parameters remains an on-ice thing.

I think it was last year that the Caps were involved in an 8-0 game and there were laughable cries of outrage about it. Whaaaaaa Sportmanship whaaaaa :cry:

All of a sudden you had dozens of internet hockey fans crying about it, citing a lack of respect by the coach, a lack of respect by the players, blah blah blah.

Well, guess what? If you go back not too far in time, you will see that in the 90s, the Red Wings, captained by the ultra-respected Steve Yzerman and coached by the ultra-respected Scotty Bowman humiliated the Habs and Patrick Roy in something like a 12-3 game in Montreal.

And that's what is beautiful about the sport. You don't have to say a thing, emotions take over and history is created. Roy loses it, whines to the president that it's his last game here (you want to point at reprehensible things in hockey, THAT is one, not the blowout) and is eventually traded to the Avs.

We then witness the birth of one of the most interesting and intense rivalry of this last decade between the Avs and Wings. Hockey fans are winners because emotional events lead to more emotional events.

That's bad for the game, right?

The concept of sportsmanship has taken on a whole new meaning lately, one that it should never have taken. Lack of sportsmanship is diving, lack of sportsmanship is when Pavel Trnka is called for a penalty against the Sabres when he was clearly one feet away from the player and nobody says a word and the referee calls something HE NEVER SAW. Lack of sportsmanship is betraying your teammates and the fans who have supported you by sitting out when you have a *signed* contract. Lack of sportsmanship is Fleury's Pejorative Slured, disgusting behavior in New-York that would have had me worried if I was bringing children to the game. Lack of sportsmanship is seeing Giguere in his Michelin armor stopping pucks with whatever piece of equipment happens to be in the way that given moment.

No matter how blessed with talent Crosby was to begin with, I have no doubt that he has worked extremely hard to play at the level he is playing right now. It was a fair goal, it took skills. The puck wasn't flying from a cannon, you know. He beat guys and he beat the goalie and he showcased great skills doing so, like hundreds of players have done before him. It's not any better or worse than Pavel Datsyuk a few nights ago scoring with around 10 seconds left to go in a 6-2 (I think) win by nicely lifting the puck up.

I think you have a LOT of things to worry about if you are worried about sportsmanship. The bottom line is that this Crosby goal is not one of those.

If someone, ON-ICE, feels he was disrespected then it will be resolved on-ice. You, as a fan, will probably benefit from this with more intense hockey instead of the bland, overly polite, emotionless virtual business course we seem to be witnessing more and more.

Last edited:

Sammy*

Vlad The Impaler said:
Wow. I guess the only positive here is that you actually took the time to pull your nose out of Cherry's anus to spout this.
Brilliant comeback.
Go back to playing with your lego in mommys basement.
Oh , I forgot, your a world class success. Riiiiight

hardcore_fan

Apr 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Cherry really can't say jack about showboating anyway.The guy dresses like a peacock and the opening of his show has him waving to the crowd and basically grandstanding.Yep sure sounds like someone how doesn't like people making a spectale of themselves.
"And here we go.
None of the "icons" of the game can be ever critisized, or their leigons will attack in full force."
Sammy I don't know where you get off, I've never even seen the kid play so to accuse me defending a 16 year old icon of the game (is that even possible) is ludicrous.What I WAS saying is where does a shemless self promoter like Cherry come off critizing 16 year old KID for having some fun in a GAME, want me to eplain the word game to you?Ok, it's something kids do for fun.

TexSen

Nov 20, 2003
Schaefer..Beer..mmmm
For the record,

I would have celebrated regardless the score if I had pulled off a move like that when I was 16.

I think a lot of us are forgetting the kid is exactly that.......a kid.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
hardcore_fan said:
Cherry really can't say jack about showboating anyway.The guy dresses like a peacock and the opening of his show has him waving to the crowd and basically grandstanding.Yep sure sounds like someone how doesn't like people making a spectale of themselves.

Exactly. If someone has a vanity problem, it sure as hell is Cherry, not Crosby. It's quite ironic that Grapes had to be the one ripping into Sydney.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I still don't know how celebrating goals and good plays became a "lack of sportsmanship". For all we hear people talk about how in the NFL and NBA all the players are primadonnas and do nothing but show off, at least when the game is over they can gather together on the field and shake each others hands. Hockey's problem is the rampant cheapshotting and dirty play that goes on every day. Remember that borderline cheapshot Warren Sapp threw last year, that got a ton of press coverage and debate over whether or not it was legal and/or poor sportsmanship? Well there's probably a worse hit than that every week in the NHL.

Sammy*

Vlad The Impaler said:
Exactly. If someone has a vanity problem, it sure as hell is Cherry, not Crosby. It's quite ironic that Grapes had to be the one ripping into Sydney.
Unbelievable. You say you didnt even see it yet you say Cherry "ripped into Crosby".
He didnt rip into Crosby, he simply said he didnt like what he did.
Before you natter, get your facts or take your ball & go home (again).

TexSen

Nov 20, 2003
Schaefer..Beer..mmmm
If the people posting their righteous indignation on this thread were so upset about it, how come no one started a thread about it or voiced their concerns by posting on the Crosby thread until AFTER Cherry commented on it?

Kinda like the CHA ads (anti-angry hockey dad/mom ads on Canadian tv).

No one on this board had a problem with them for over a year until Cherry mentioned how he hated them during Coaches Corner last week, then the siren call of damnation went up on the HF Boards.

Seems to be a few lemmings around here.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
How do you defend against this goal? If Sydney fakes this shot and sets up the winning goal at the wjc's is that bad sportsmanship to?

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
leafssuck said:
Hit his stick

So you go to hit his stick and he passes it instead...my point/question is whether its a legitimate threat or just a hot dog move/low percentage play.

nordique

Does *NOBODY* remember Mike Cammalleri doing this at Michigan in OT in the Frozen Four?

Same play.

The point was, in a 5-0 game you don't rub it in. You don't goalsuck. You don't show up your opponent. In a tight game, all is fair in love and hockey.

SopelFan*

I have no problem with showboating... but it isn't safe sometimes. The opposition doesn't want to look bad and they will make players pay for it.

SopelFan*

cherry_140.jpg

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Sammy said:
I wonder if all those anti-Cherry clowns who wet their panties every time he critisizes some Euro & who also say he would never critisize a guy like Crosby saw coaches corner tonight.
It goes to show you, that he does crticize virtually anyone when he doesnt like their behaviour.
BTW, I disagree with what he said but I get his point.
For those of you who didnt see it, he didnt like Crosby's hotdog goal when the score was 5-0 or something.

J'ai voulu m'intégrer à cette discussion, mais j'ai eu la brilliante idée de tout lire avant d'écrire, c'est pourquoi j'ai décidé de rien n'écrire sur ce sujet. Faudrait revoir ta formule Sammy, quand on veut qu'une discussion vive longtemps, on évite les gros mots premièrement, et la personne n'étant pas en accord avec toi n'est pas non plus nécessairement l'imbécile de première classe.
P.S. Don Cherry est une grande bouse tant qu'à moi, je dois avouer qu'il s'y connait en hockey, mais au moment ou il touche à quelque chose de moyennement humanitaire, il s'échappe. J'apelle ça un complexe de supériorité.

In English Presented By Google.com, Language Tool V.1.049.1

I wanted to integrate me into this discussion, but I had the brilliante idea of all to read before writing, this is why I decided anything not to write on this subject. Would be necessary to re-examine your Sammy formula, when it is wanted that a discussion lives a long time, one avoids the coarse words firstly, and the person not being in agreement with you is not either necessarily the imbecile of first class. P.S. Don Cherry is a large dung as long as with me, I must acknowledge that it was connait there in hockey, but at the time or it touches with something of fairly humane, it escapes. I apelle that a complex of superiority.

L3DZ3P

Aug 18, 2003
Trois-Rivières,Qc
Ron Hainsey said:
J'ai voulu m'intégrer à cette discussion, mais j'ai eu la brilliante idée de tout lire avant d'écrire, c'est pourquoi j'ai décidé de rien n'écrire sur ce sujet. Faudrait revoir ta formule Sammy, quand on veut qu'une discussion vive longtemps, on évite les gros mots premièrement, et la personne n'étant pas en accord avec toi n'est pas non plus nécessairement l'imbécile de première classe.
P.S. Don Cherry est une grande bouse tant qu'à moi, je dois avouer qu'il s'y connait en hockey, mais au moment ou il touche à quelque chose de moyennement humanitaire, il s'échappe. J'apelle ça un complexe de supériorité.

In English Presented By Google.com, Language Tool V.1.049.1

I wanted to integrate me into this discussion, but I had the brilliante idea of all to read before writing, this is why I decided anything not to write on this subject. Would be necessary to re-examine your Sammy formula, when it is wanted that a discussion lives a long time, one avoids the coarse words firstly, and the person not being in agreement with you is not either necessarily the imbecile of first class. P.S. Don Cherry is a large dung as long as with me, I must acknowledge that it was connait there in hockey, but at the time or it touches with something of fairly humane, it escapes. I apelle that a complex of superiority.
Don Cherry stun sale si sétait Doug Gilmour qui avait marqué ce but il laurait arrosé d éloges.Il est raciste envers tout ce qui touche le QUébec ou l europe.

Twisted Wrister

Jun 29, 2002
The Boardroom
Visit site
nordique said:
Does *NOBODY* remember Mike Cammalleri doing this at Michigan in OT in the Frozen Four?

Same play.

The point was, in a 5-0 game you don't rub it in. You don't goalsuck. You don't show up your opponent. In a tight game, all is fair in love and hockey.

I remember it, I was there. You're off on a few things, though.

It was Mike Legg, not Cammalleri.

It was the NCAA Quarterfinals vs Minnesota, not the Frozen Four.

It wasn't OT, it was the 2nd period and Legg's goal tied the game at 2 and sparked Michigan to a win.

And anyone who complains about Crosby "showboating" is way off base. Isn't what he did the reason we all watch hockey, to watch talented players showcase their skills (be it shooting, puckhandling, skating, fighting, whatever)?

It's not like he skated by the opposing bench taunting them (*cough*Kovalchuk*cough*) after he did it. He probably just wondered if he could do it in a game situation, and decided to try it when it wouldn't hurt his team if he failed. So what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad