Don Cherry & Sid Crosby

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsoluteFate

Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
You should show respect for the cursing policy on these boards.

fair enough...didnt mean to offend anyone here....and i didnt think the "B" word would be an issue considering im not directing it towards anyone at this board...either way ill edit my post...might want to edit your reply if you dont mind

having said that i stand by what i said...if i put myself in the situation of one of the fans on the other team i'd be pissed if my team was losing 5-0 but i'd also want to see the kid play...and at that point in time i would think the least i can get out of this night if they are going to lose anyways is to see him have an incredible night....to at least enjoy some of the "show". You pay money to see these games and although it isnt nearly as much in the QMJHL as the NHL its still my hard earned money!

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Sammy said:
I wonder if all those anti-Cherry clowns who wet their panties every time he critisizes some Euro & who also say he would never critisize a guy like Crosby saw coaches corner tonight.
It goes to show you, that he does crticize virtually anyone when he doesnt like their behaviour.
BTW, I disagree with what he said but I get his point.
For those of you who didnt see it, he didnt like Crosby's hotdog goal when the score was 5-0 or something.
Don critisises whoever he feels is deserving of it and he is a very good hockey mind those anti Cherry clowns critisise him most of the time without hearing what he has to say.

DON CHERRY RULES!!!!!

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
c-carp said:
Don critisises whoever he feels is deserving of it and he is a very good hockey mind those anti Cherry clowns critisise him most of the time without hearing what he has to say.

DON CHERRY RULES!!!!!

Cherry has goiod stuff to say about rules and so on but hotherwise he shiudld have a beer and lightemn yup o nvce and a while.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Sammy said:
I think Vlad would be doing quite well if he was as good at his profession/job as Cherry was in coaching.
You see Vlad, he rose to the top of his profession & even there was highly successful, so you calling him a moron & denigrating his accomplishments as a coach is laughable.Frankly, it shows that you'r the moron
How ya doing at your job?

Wow. I guess the only positive here is that you actually took the time to pull your nose out of Cherry's anus to spout this.

Hitman*

Erngueva said:
If Cherry was looking at the situation a little bite closer he will have known that it was a revenge game against the Remparts. The Oceanic had a sign behind their bench with the score 12-1 writed on it. This was to remember them when Remparts beats the Oceanic 12-1 at home last year. Rimouski-Quebec is a big rivalry. And... the Oceanic's play 2 times Quebec in the next week and be sure Crosby have the psychological advantage. And i'm sure Crosby know this.

Cherry is making good point sometime but in this case, he look very stupid.

Well I can guarantee you that Cherry didn't know that as he is the biggest believer in getting a team back after a blowout like that.

st_roland

Vlad The Impaler said:
Dinosaur Cherry strikes again.

It's hilarious to see him talk about respect for the game, since he is the definition of the old-style showboating coach. The guy had a real sense for spectacle despite being a moron, which explains why he's had more success on TV than behind a bench.

And I strongly disagree with this stunt, even more than usual. Using one of the most popular segment on TV to criticize a JUNIOR athlete. Shame on him for doing that. Crosby probably doesn't even shave, for chrissakes.

I didn't see what Crosby did, so I can't really comment on that. If it was truly reprehensible, then I guess one day it may come back and bite him in the arse. But there's a reason it's called on-ice etiquette.

That's because (surprise) it's handled on the ice. Not during coach's corner.

People are sucking the fun out of the game more and more, particularly here in Canada. Heavy, unforgiving criticisms are all I see. It's not good enough that economics and bloodsucking players agent are brainwashing players and that the internet has given the opportunity to numerous goofs to showcase their mental ineptitude, we've gotta have old Cherry, who can't even properly manage a CHL team, lashing unto 16 years old.

Then we wonder why sometimes our WJC team seems to struggle. Last WJC I was again floored by the media attention, the numerous player interviews (they've got so many they have to show segments during the freaking games). It's actually worse than some NHL teams get in the regular season.

Let the kids play. They'll get enough goofy assholes criticizing them once they turn pro.

Please. There's gotta be something else the guy can talk about.

Other than the personal attacks on cherry, whom I havent watched and thus have no opinion of, this is the best post i've read on these boards in awhile. Too much water wilts a flower.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
JasonMacIsaac said:
He watched more hockey in one year then you have in your life. Maybe you should give the guy respect for what he has done for the game in this country.

Oh that's rich. The man attends *one* game a week. And to make sure he doesn't actually see the rest of the league, he makes sure it's always a Leaf game. But we'll give him the benefit of the doubt, and assume he never misses a Leaf game on tv. There are plenty of folks here who see way more hockey than he does.

As for his fairness, when McSorley bashed Brashear upside the head, Cherrry ranted for 10 minutes on how "classless" it was for Brashear to refuse to fight, and how he was asking for it. That's right kids at home, tonight's lesson is not "don't hit people in the head with your stick", it's "you deserve to be hit in the head if you don't fight".

Cherry is sometimes right, often wrong, usually entertaining (in a watching the trainwreck kind of way), and *never* unbiased.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
So here is my question to those who agree that the goal is "showboating": Is there some sort of Martha Stewart guide to polite goal scoring now? Since when is there a "correct" way to score a goal and a way that is "too flashy"?

If we were talking about the Jagr salute, or the dances that have taken over football, or some sort of in your face celebration, I could understand it.

But in this case, the kid found a way to put the puck in the net from a position behind it - not the first time it has been done this way and probably not the last. Last time I checked, putting the puck in the net is what the game is about.

You want to stop him quick - the D-man gets over there and hammers him into the end boards.

But for anyone, including Cherry, to say he shouldn't have done it, is silly.

Don's a good guy with a lot of things to say about the game, some of which I agree with. But he's way off the mark on this one.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
gb701 said:
So here is my question to those who agree that the goal is "showboating": Is there some sort of Martha Stewart guide to polite goal scoring now? Since when is there a "correct" way to score a goal and a way that is "too flashy"?

If we were talking about the Jagr salute, or the dances that have taken over football, or some sort of in your face celebration, I could understand it.

But in this case, the kid found a way to put the puck in the net from a position behind it - not the first time it has been done this way and probably not the last. Last time I checked, putting the puck in the net is what the game is about.

You want to stop him quick - the D-man gets over there and hammers him into the end boards.

Don's a good guy with a lot of things to say about the game, some of which I agree with. But he's way off the mark on this one.

Cherry is on a national show he should talk about NHL hockey. I'lm glad he isn't kissign the @ss of junior players with no experience but he definietlyy shouldn't be ragging on them either,

SedinFan*

SopelFan said:
Crosby is a showboater. He better get a Semenko in the NHL.

He's also a good player if you haven't noticed. The NHL could use a few more showboaters.

st_roland

evman150 said:
I understood it.

Don't worry, some people just don't get a lot of things.

Its laughable that you're being so high-handed about knowing what a protozoa is. I would think most people on this board recognize the term. The point is its a pretty nerdy insult, and sounds stupid.

st_roland

Just saw the crosby goal, imo its better than the Legg goal because of how much faster he does it. It looks like the puck and his stick are magnets. Utterly amazing, and he makes the defenseman look like a child. wow. I'm moving to canada just so I can watch the kid.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Doomsday Device said:
Like how the NFL fined Randy Moss for spiking the ball, right?

Unless you mean Terrell Owens, I'm not sure what you are talking about.

And if you do mean TO, then as a diehard Cowboys fan I loved that, because it pumped up the rivalry between the Cowboys and 49ers to levles it hadn't been before the 1995 Super Bowl.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Note on celebrations, I just downloaded a video of Gretzky's 50 goals in 50 games and he pumped his fists a bunch of times after his goals as well.
I've played hockey for a long time and I don't mind seeing players show off what they can do or celebrating. If the guy had the greatest wheels on earth nobody would have criticized him for busting a$$ to get the jump on a d-man for a breakaway given a 4-0 lead.

I don't think Crosby would be put into a wheelchair for showboating. Dale Hawerchuck scored a goal where he flipped the puck over the net from behind the goal, skated in front and backhanded it in. It was put on Sportcenter and Dale was able to play the next game without slivers of wood in his rectum.
Mario Lemiuex wasn't given the Dale Hunter treatment after scoring off the face-off.

I think it adds excitement.

I like Bob Hartley's quote "If you want to stop him [Kovalchuk] from celebrating then stop him from scoring."

I know what Cherry meant to say, but sometimes Cherry is an idiot. He also supported the US in the war. Go fig.

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
Trottier said:
No doubt it was a highlight goal, and your original point about Cherry is well-taken. And, Crosby is just a kid. As I said, he will learn, or more accurately, as Cherry inferred, a clear "message" will likely be provided to him in the near-future.

As for Kovo doing that move: if anyone dared try that in the NHL, they likely would be refined to a wheelchair for life.

Er, kinda worse when Kovalchuk scored an empty netter, then skated by the opposition bench pumping his arms like he scored a game winner in OT in the playoffs.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Epsilon said:
Attitides like Cherry's are why the NHL will never be even be able to sniff the NFL's jockstrap in terms of polularirty.

And that lack of popularity matters to you why exactly?

Just curious, in all seriousness.

Are you a media executive? An NHL owner? Or just longing to be joined by the masses?

If the NHL is entertaining to you (and despite all the hand-wringing that goes on these boards about how horrific the game is today, seems that it still has a loyal, solid following), and if it remains financially viable (which it has done for nearly a century and will continue to do so following the next CBA), why should you or I care if it is the most popular sport?

Sure, in theory, a thriving ($) league is great for everyone. In reality, it's not always the case. A solid argument can be made that the quality of play and overall competitiveness in the NFL and NBA has decreased over the very same time period that those leagues have reaped major network TV contracts by virtue of "homogenizing" their sports to the marketing whims of network executives.

That is, the NHL, thankfully, is not about inauthentic preening for the camera, showing up your opponent (at least nowhere near to the level of the NFL and NBA), nor are the players selfish, inarticulate or poorly mannered. "Image." :shakehead

If that has to change in order for the NHL to be able to compete with the NFL and other sports in terms of popularity, count this fan out.

(To be sure, this is off the original thread subject of Crosby's goal. But it's a natural, important extension of the topic, IMO.)

Last edited:

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
Lets be straight forward. The jusgement of some pro analysts and observers is, to say the least, very questionable. It just appals me.

Since years, newspapers sport pages are constantly black inked with comments about the boaring game played these days in hockey. The phone lines on radio stations in Quebec and in many other places are just reporting the problem. Many posters on HF Board just say the same thing.

Two nights ago, a young 16 YO kid scored a remarkable goal. So remarkable, that TVA and Radio-Canada, just to name 2 TV channels, who never never never show recaps or even talk about QMJHL rolled the play of the famous goal. This goal has already made the tour of the hockey world. The replay of this goal will be shown at least for months and probably for years if Crosby becomes an NHL franchise player.

And what have to say some pro hockey observers? "It is too flashy and the kid missed respect for the opponent" !!!!!

It is a pity. It is depressive for the love of this game.

Last edited:

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
TexSen said:
(Don Cherry): "Served the kid right for putting a hat-trick on the board when the Penguins were up four goals already."

Absolutely pathetic.

I can only wish....about the Penguins part that is....

For the record I like Cherry alot. I think he has alot of good points about the game, the way it is played and the way it should be played. I find him entertaining and that is why he is so damn succesful.
Look at the amount of reply's this post has. Cherry is doing his job and quite well based on that alone.
He gets talked about and noticed and that means ratings.
His bigotry is pretty ignorant of course but the guy really is an example of what national pride is. An yeah Im an American.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Scarface Yeah exactly the same way they are running over Caron, Koltsov, Malone and Orpik, i mean those guys are absolute crap, i mean Fata, god does he suck, 8 goals and 12pts, thats unthinkable for a guy like him, he was putting up far superior numbers in Calgary and New York.

As a Pens fan I understand your point but lets face it. The book is still out on Koltsov,Orpik,Caron, and Malone. I mean all of these guys are rookies. Lets wait a few years before we say they were developed properly. Not 20 games into thier NHL career.
We can also say Hillier, Dome, Wells, Berkvist etc....Our orginization has had a poor record of developing/drafting prospects, a fact well documented by our fans on our boards.
The future looks bright but there is still a ways to go before we get rid of that reputation. Remember Glen Patrick was the WB coach until this year and we all know (and has been well documented) how poor he was at teaching and development.
As for Fata he has played about 30 games for the Pens, so I don't think it is fair to say we were they team that developed him. I'd say that we gave him quality ice time and a chance would be a more accurate depiction.

Les Zarbites

gb701 said:

I'm asking myself the exact same questions.

Funny no one seems to have any answers to your post.

RyanM

May 2, 2002
Sydney
God forbid someone bring some EXCITEMENT to the game of hockey. I wish every player was going around scoring goals like Sidney Crosby does. I know it'd sure maeke me a lot more excited for when HNIC comes on and I fall asleep during a 2-1 trap-fest called an NHL game. Its refreshing to see guys like Sid and Ovechkin, it gives us hope that the NHL will be exciting again one day.

Epsilon said:
Unless you mean Terrell Owens, I'm not sure what you are talking about.

And if you do mean TO, then as a diehard Cowboys fan I loved that, because it pumped up the rivalry between the Cowboys and 49ers to levles it hadn't been before the 1995 Super Bowl.

http://www.ncaachampionships.com/nfl/story/6873736

Moss was fined just this week. My point being, there is a reason its called the No Fun League, and it hasn't affected the NFL's popularity too much.

Sammy*

Epsilon said:
Attitides like Cherry's are why the NHL will never be even
be able to sniff the NFL's jockstrap in terms of polularirty.
Oh, yeah, thats it. Great point.
Has nothing to do with the fact football's an American game, & hockey was only played or watched by the smallest % of Americans growing up .
Yeah those Americans are so offended by the likes of Cherry.
Not a very good point. :shakehead :shakehead

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->