Don Cherry says it please let it be so [Jets in the SC Finals]

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Also it’s not just an old school thing. I know a lot of former old school coaches and management types that roll their eyes at Cherry as an analyst.

Yes I’m well aware the schlock is schlock and not real, but there’s not much to what he analyzes.

That said, broken watch and all that...
So what if old coaches roll their eyes and cluck their tongues, it doesn’t invalidate his opinions which are sometimes correct and sometimes not, much like yours or mine.
Cherry has been connected a lot longer than most here and actually you know coached.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
This exact thing. Ignore the rest, and realize that Cherry doesn't actually really understand hockey at all. All these claims about "he's forgotten more than any of us will know" are simply people thinking that since he's been on TV forever. If you actually listen to him, you realize he doesn't know anything about hockey. He consistently says the opposite of what all coaches (including NHL coaches) are teaching their players. It's not an "old school" v "new school" thing, it's a correct hockey technique v a wrong hockey technique.
Holden I agree with you a lot but to say Cherry doesn’t know or understand hockey is flat out wrong.

Reactions: Moon Man

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
So what if old coaches roll their eyes and cluck their tongues, it doesn’t invalidate his opinions which are sometimes correct and sometimes not, much like yours or mine.
Cherry has been connected a lot longer than most here and actually you know coached.

Being connected doesn't really matter in this conversation... I'm connected and my opinion on how good/bad the Jets are wouldn't hold less or more weighting if I was or was not.
Also, everyone is sometimes correct and sometimes not... the qualification for that is basically being alive.

It is meaningful in this conversation to point out that Cherry's analysis isn't considered that meaningful or viewed highly outside of the general hockey fan demographic.

Aside, and no longer reply to you but I'm too lazy to do two posts:
I mentioned and acknowledged that some of it is showmanship for views and a character, but some of it is the real him. See his failure as OHL owner while refusing the organization to take part of the Import Draft... until the one season he coached where they took one and then did slightly better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eyeseeing

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Holden I agree with you a lot but to say Cherry doesn’t know or understand hockey is flat out wrong.
we're ready for you to back that statement up with fact.
was it his coaching record that backs it up? i mean, he inherited a pretty damn good Bruins team. his winning % there was 58%.
or his record with the Rockies? 24% (and I'm rounding up).
he won the Jack Adams, but so did Bob Murdock. we all know how his pro coaching career went.

you clearly disagree with my opinion, but Cherry's as loved as he is not due to his hockey acumen, but it's due to his personality and his great skill in telling hockey stories.

he was always a fan of smashmouth hockey, which ended in the 1970s. he's a fan of fighting, which has also died down. he's a fan of "Canadian" hockey, whatever that may be.

his biggest contribution to hockey is not his analysis. it was his Rock em Sock em videos and the soundbytes you got from Coach's Corner. if you dig that, then cool. but his ability to break the game down? um, no.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
we're ready for you to back that statement up with fact.
was it his coaching record that backs it up? i mean, he inherited a pretty damn good Bruins team. his winning % there was 58%.
or his record with the Rockies? 24% (and I'm rounding up).
he won the Jack Adams, but so did Bob Murdock. we all know how his pro coaching career went.

you clearly disagree with my opinion, but Cherry's as loved as he is not due to his hockey acumen, but it's due to his personality and his great skill in telling hockey stories.

he was always a fan of smashmouth hockey, which ended in the 1970s. he's a fan of fighting, which has also died down. he's a fan of "Canadian" hockey, whatever that may be.

his biggest contribution to hockey is not his analysis. it was his Rock em Sock em videos and the soundbytes you got from Coach's Corner. if you dig that, then cool. but his ability to break the game down? um, no.
He’s been a fixture on coaches corner because of his vast hockey experience.
The point being he is entertaining for a lot of people but not all.
Breaking down a game to the degree some of you guys do , sure he’s not likely that guy nor am I, it doesn’t mean he doesn’t know hockey.
I enjoy all posts even when I don’t agree with them.
Cherry knows hockey to say he doesn’t is wrong.
To the others Garrett and Holden , I enjoy your insights very much no sense in beating a dead horse.
Bottom line Cherry gets people talking so mission accomplished.
I don’t want to piss anyone off so will just let it be.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Im sick and tired about how a lot of analysts do not have the confidence about us being SC contenders this year. Some how the roster of 2014-15 will be playing for us.

I know we are not playoff bound yet, but it seems silly to me to why they bring this up.

Players who were on that playoff roster now gone:
Mark Stuart
Drew Stafford
Chris Thorburn
Michael Frolik
Lee Stempniak
Jim Slater
Adam Pardy
Jiri Tlusty
Paul Postma
Jay Harrison
Matthew Halischuk
Andrew Ladd
Ondrej Pavelec

Arguably this years roster is better then that year.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Im sick and tired about how a lot of analysts do not have the confidence about us being SC contenders this year. Some how the roster of 2014-15 will be playing for us.

I know we are not playoff bound yet, but it seems silly to me to why they bring this up.

Players who were on that playoff roster now gone:
Mark Stuart
Drew Stafford
Chris Thorburn
Michael Frolik
Lee Stempniak
Jim Slater
Adam Pardy
Jiri Tlusty
Paul Postma
Jay Harrison
Matthew Halischuk
Andrew Ladd
Ondrej Pavelec

Arguably this years roster is better then that year.

There is no question this years roster is far superior than that year.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Im sick and tired about how a lot of analysts do not have the confidence about us being SC contenders this year.

We have never won a playoff game. Could that be a reason as to why a lot of analysts do not have confidence about us being SC contenders this year?

I get it. Our place in the regular season standings at the ASB is top 5 in the league, so we are giddy with excitement. But going from that to contending / winning the SC is a big jump. I see this year as a year where we will get some valuable playoff experience, hopefully win games and a series or two. That will help us become an SC contender in the years to come. But there is a lot of hockey between now and the post season. We are a losing streak away from being outside of the playoffs in the tough Central division. So let's not get to far ahead of ourselves, please.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
so last night's Coach's Corner segment was one for the ages, wasn't it?

Don talks about pinkos and their global warming lie. Then gives a few minutes of incoherent description of goals on the ice.
the Elmer factory's calling you ya, Donnie Boy.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad