Dominik Hasek greatest goalie ever?

RyanCallahan24*

Who do you guys think is the greatest goalteneder to have ever played the game? Scratch that lets make it more ''relevant''.

Who do you think was the best goalie out of lets say: Hasek, Roy and Brodeur?

Hasek didn't have the privilige to play in such good teams as Colorado or Devils during their primes. Sure Sabres was good but he did not have the same group of talented players like Brodeur had for instance. Stevens, Niedermayer and so on. Playing in a very defensive style which helped Brodeur even more.

Brodeur is/was a great goalie but IMO Roy was better and Hasek was slightly better than both of them.

Hasek played around 3-400 games less than both Roy and Brodeur in NHL. Hasek has the highest save percentage through all time. He averaged: .922, and he had 2.20 GAA while Brodeur's GAA was 2.23 (playing in a better team with HoF's like Stevens, Niedermayer etc)

Hasek has also won the Olympics, Hart x2, Vezina x6, Lester B. Pearson Award x2, William Jennings Trophy x 3, Stanley Cup x2.

He has been nominated for another 3 Hart Trophies and perhaps the most impressive single-game performance by any player in NHL history came on April 27, 1994. Hašek made 70 saves in a 4OT shutout. The opposing goalie was Martin Brodeur, then a rookie, who made 49 saves before being beaten by Dave Hannan and the Sabres beat New Jersey 1–0. Hašek's 70 saves set a record, which still stands, for the most saves without allowing a goal.

Roy was good too, he was fenomenal. A true beast but he also played for a better team than Hasek and his stats aren't as good as Hasek's.

Alot of people usually say Roy when you ask the question, why I don't know.

Roy was one of the greatest but Hasek was something else. Hasek's save would linger on for months in your head. He just stood on his head over and over again.

He also set 25 franchise records in just 9 seasons playing for Buffalo.

What's your guys opinions on this matter?

lolwut

Sep 24, 2010
The general consensus on HF and most places is Hasek. Its beating a dead horse at this point.

RyanCallahan24*

The general consensus on HF and most places is Hasek. Its beating a dead horse at this point.

Oh okay. Like 99% of the time when I asked this irl or wherever people tend to say Roy. Which isn't a bad choice. He was a great goalie. Cool to find some other people that appreciate Hasek in a similar way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fred Taylor

The Cyclone
Sep 20, 2011
You can say what you like about his style but he truly is the greatest and most valuable goaltender of all-time.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
Hasek overall but Roy is the undisputed playoff king.

If you're looking for Vezina's and Hart's, you take Hasek.
If you're looking for Stanley Cup's and Conn Smythe's, you take Roy.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

There is no consensus for Hasek.

Fans who remember the careers of both players are split between Roy and Hasek.

Number crunchers who didn't see them both in their primes and look at raw save percentages with no context all pick Hasek.

RyanCallahan24*

There is no consensus for Hasek.

Fans who remember the careers of both players are split between Roy and Hasek.

Number crunchers who didn't see them both in their primes and look at raw save percentages with no context all pick Hasek.

I've seen them both. I thought they were both ridiculous... But I'd pick Hasek if I had the chance. He also had great playoff stats (saving % and so on). Hasek was on the ''worse'' team out of these 3 IMO for the majority of their careers.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
I'll save my argument for the pending Top 30/40 goalie list, but I think Roy gets overlooked by HFBoards despite having unrivaled consistency for the position. Top 10 in save percentage fifteen times. The only three seasons he missed out: 1986 (Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe), 1995 (lockout), 2001 (Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe). And that's on top of averaging more than 8 playoff wins each year.

That's 18 years, start-to-finish, of being a legitimate threat. 11 seasons of being either a Conn Smythe winner, a Vezina nominee, or a post-season All-Star (1986, 1988-1994, 1997, 2001-2002).

RyanCallahan24*

I'll save my argument for the pending Top 30/40 goalie list, but I think Roy gets overlooked by HFBoards despite having unrivaled consistency for the position. Top 10 in save percentage fifteen times. The only three seasons he missed out: 1986 (Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe), 1995 (lockout), 2001 (Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe). And that's on top of averaging more than 8 playoff wins each year.

That's 18 years, start-to-finish, of being a legitimate threat. 11 seasons of being either a Conn Smythe winner, a Vezina nominee, or a post-season All-Star (1986, 1988-1994, 1997, 2001-2002).

NHL First All-Star Team 1994, 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001

NHL All-Rookie Team 1992

NHL All-Star Game 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 (did not play due to injury), 2002

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

There is a disconnect between how people evaluate goalies and skaters. Skaters get evaluated on number of top 5, top 10, 100 point, etc seasons. Save percentage is an averaging stat like points per game. And then there is the fact that Roy'a best years were when league average save percentages were much higher

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Hasek overall but Roy is the undisputed playoff king.

If you're looking for Vezina's and Hart's, you take Hasek.
If you're looking for Stanley Cup's and Conn Smythe's, you take Roy.

I agree, taken in totality, however, I like to remember some of the "Cameo's" from the likes of Sawchuk, Hall, Roger Crozier, Parent & Dryden & many more as being equally outstanding over time or for just one bright shining moment. I think the thing that impressed me the most about Hasek was the mans' intelligence, and I mean both on & off the ice. Definitely "out there", as goaltenders are wont to be.... Roy a a PepperPot but Man, talk about a glove hand, fast feet, big mouthed traffic cop & ultra fierce competitor; Brodeur was/is far more temporal, even keeled, so collectively, if I had to pick one of the 3 in their prime for say a best of 7, Id go with Roy. Reg'lar season though, gotta be Luongo no?....

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
There is a disconnect between how people evaluate goalies and skaters. Skaters get evaluated on number of top 5, top 10, 100 point, etc seasons. Save percentage is an averaging stat like points per game. And then there is the fact that Roy'a best years were when league average save percentages were much higher

Exactly. I think the biggest issue is what you alluded to earlier: People compare Roy from 1994-1999 against Hasek, but don't know how to compare Roy from 1987-1992 against Hasek.

NHL First All-Star Team 1994, 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001

NHL All-Rookie Team 1992

NHL All-Star Game 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 (did not play due to injury), 2002

Yeah... the All-Star Game is a different animal... and Roy went to eleven of them. And he was on the All-Rookie Team too. Hasek was a post-season All-Star the same number of times as Roy, nominated for one fewer Vezina, and never won a Conn Smythe. One can argue that Hasek peaked higher, but in no way was he elite as long as Patrick Roy was.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The only thing that "bugs" me about Roy is the manner in which he left Montreal... still, I suppose if youve let in what was it, 8 goals?., and your not being pulled after about 5, team collapsing in front of you or just an off-night, you'd have reason to be upset. But going after the teams President like that?. Over the top Buddy. Not cool. Post career there have been "episodes" with the Remparts as well, however, far be it for me to judge the guy I s'pose, having left "normal" quite some time ago...

RyanCallahan24*

Exactly. I think the biggest issue is what you alluded to earlier: People compare Roy from 1994-1999 against Hasek, but don't know how to compare Roy from 1987-1992 against Hasek.

Maybe cause Hasek came over 91-92... as a foreign goalie it takes a season or two before you get the chance as a starter. at least back in the day.

Roy started playing 85-86 in NHL, Hasek 91-92. Therefore you cannot compare them at 87-92 since Hasek came over when that cycle you picked basically ended...

RyanCallahan24*

give me stanley cups and conn smythes 11 out if 10 times

Hasek would've most likely won them as well playing for Avalance. Hasek 2.02 GAA in the playoffs, Roy: 2.30 GAA.

As I stated earlier Hasek didn't have the same support like Roy and Brodeur had. Roy or Hasek, I guess that's a matter of taste. 2 of the best goalies we've ever seen.

Think is Hasek played for Devils or Avalance that era, oh man. If he had 2.02 GAA in the playoffs with Sabres what would he have in Devils with a defensive trap game and Stevens, Niedermayer etc in front.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
The only thing that "bugs" me about Roy is the manner in which he left Montreal... still, I suppose if youve let in what was it, 8 goals?., and your not being pulled after about 5, team collapsing in front of you or just an off-night, you'd have reason to be upset. But going after the teams President like that?. Over the top Buddy. Not cool.

But he did apologize - both privately and publicly. You see it in threads all the time that he complained his way out of Montreal, but it wasn't his decision. He apologized; they suspended him and traded him. And is it worse than everything that went down with Hasek in 1997? No, but it certainly gets talked about a lot more.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1010020/index.htm

Last edited:

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
Hasek would've most likely won them as well playing for Avalance. Hasek 2.02 GAA in the playoffs, Roy: 2.30 GAA.

As I stated earlier Hasek didn't have the same support like Roy and Brodeur had. Roy or Hasek, I guess that's a matter of taste. 2 of the best goalies we've ever seen.

Think is Hasek played for Devils or Avalance that era, oh man. If he had 2.02 GAA in the playoffs with Sabres what would he have in Devils with a defensive trap game and Stevens, Niedermayer etc in front.

...and the difference between Roy's Av's teams and Hasek's Wings teams was what exactly?
I don't recall Hasek winning the Conn Smythe under the "same circumstances" as you imply he would of.

RyanCallahan24*

...and the difference between Roy's Av's teams and Hasek's Wings teams was what exactly?
I don't recall Hasek winning the Conn Smythe under the "same circumstances" as you imply he would of.

Well Hasek was 35 when he came to Detroit, still a real good goalie but not as good as he used to be. Roy came to Avalance when he was 30, still pretty young and still in his prime. And I myself held Avs team higher than Detroits at those times (tight though, but I give the edge to Forsberg, Borque and Sakic).

mco543

Aug 14, 2006
Hasek wasn't exactly a good little soldier to all of his teams so I don't see why Roy's exit from Montreal would be used as a con against him in this comparison.

Not that it should be used as a con against Roy in general.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Well Hasek was 35 when he came to Detroit, still a real good goalie but not as good as he used to be. Roy came to Avalance when he was 30, still pretty young and still in his prime. And I myself held Avs team higher than Detroits at those times (tight though, but I give the edge to Forsberg, Borque and Sakic).

You realize that the Avalanche didn't exactly play Pat Burns hockey, right? And that being 35 didn't preclude Roy from winning a Conn Smythe? And that the post-Bourque Avalanche's focus on defense led to Roy having better numbers and a Hart nomination at 36?

And - most importantly - that Patrick Roy was not in his prime at 30 but instead at the ages of 22-27?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad