Recalled/Assigned: Domingue assigned to Tucson

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
R.I.P Domingue.

Let it be known that he ducked out of the way on his final goal against.

Reactions: Mosby

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Well we've got what 1.65m wrapped up in net minder salary? That's what many wanted here - could be you do actually get what you pay for. Here's hoping Raanta excels above paygrade.

Reactions: cobra427

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Well we've got what 1.65m wrapped up in net minder salary? That's what many wanted here - could be you do actually get what you pay for. Here's hoping Raanta excels above paygrade.

Yep, well Raanta for the Vezina right! Who was the 8th ranked guy on that list anyway?

Reactions: Murf

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It seems gsaa/60 is the new standard and the best measure of goalie comparison available. Read up on it.

Like all stats, it's strongly influenced by how the team in front of the goalie performs. The chart doesn't really correlate well with skill, although Domingue is where he should be. Literally just how far someone is from the league average.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Like all stats, it's strongly influenced by how the team in front of the goalie performs. The chart doesn't really correlate well with skill, although Domingue is where he should be. Literally just how far someone is from the league average.

The claim is that it's the best metric for reducing your concern.

http://ingoalmag.com/analysis/gsaa-essential-statistic-evaluating-goaltenders/

I'm guessing you'd prefer the following? Itappears to be rightly so.

Would like to see this years chart for metric above.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The claim is that it's the best metric for reducing your concern.

http://ingoalmag.com/analysis/gsaa-essential-statistic-evaluating-goaltenders/

I fully understand the stat. I'm simply saying that, like all advanced stats, it has blind spots.

straight from the article:
  • It also does not take shot quality into account. This can be related to the number of penalties a certain team commits, or even a team’s quality of defence, but that would be very difficult for any statistic to quantify.

I prefer shot quality metrics for raw goalie ability and quality start metrics for starter potential. (Domingue was a quality starter last year less than 50% of the time, Raanta almost 70%). Those stats tend to reflect things like Domingue flubbing routine shots (his low danger and medium danger stats are relatively bad) in all situations. Raanta grades out as the better goalie in pretty much every way.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Salsa from the article:

What GSAA Does Well
  • It is a very good stat at equalizing goalies across the league, regardless of the team that they play for. For example, a goalie that has a .925 save percentage and has faced a lot more shots than average is actually playing better than a goalie that has a .930 save percentage and has faced less shots. The first goalie has faced more scoring opportunities, and has saved more goals from going in based on their quality of play.
Either way, the more I looked the more I Understood your position. That's why I posted the second article" - just can't find chart for a adjGSAxGA/60 for this season. If anyone comes across one, please share - would be very interesting.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Either way, the more I looked the more I Understood your position. That's why I posted the second article" - just can't find chart for a adjGSAxGA/60 for this season. If anyone comes across one, please share - would be very interesting.

I don't like the stat because it's still strongly correlated with team performance, but it does not demonstrate causation. Bad teams that play bad in front of goalies will lead to lots of goals against, many of which are not the fault of the goalie. The stat is only really useful if you have a large delta between two goalies on the same team. It has very similar flaws to plus minus, because a goal going in is not necessarily the fault of the goalie, just as it can not be the fault of a skater. Carey Price is not why the Canadiens are bad.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Are you saying you don't like the adjGSAxGA/60 either?

I think it's useful if your sample size is larger than one season. Domingue and Smith graded out well on that metric in 15-16 but if you open it up, Smith looks pretty pedestrian:

Cm3xuaKWEAA1BMG.jpg

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Haven't seen anything for even as short a time frame as 15/16, but think it would be equally representative of any given time frame. A goalie can have periods of good and bad performance.

I would think that analysis of even a ten game stretch would shed light on Carey Price (as an example).

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I hope we try to trade him now. Maybe someone will take him if we take back a contract.

There is no space for him with the Coyotes and Hill and Miska deserve to play in Tucson.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I hope we try to trade him now. Maybe someone will take him if we take back a contract.

There is no space for him with the Coyotes and Hill and Miska deserve to play in Tucson.

I really doubt that he's going to attract much interest with the numbers he has. With Langhamer headed back to Europe and Houser heading back to Fort Wayne, we're probably either going to be stuck with a three-headed goalie monster in Tucson or Chayka will just buy Louie out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad