Waived: Domingue(ARI) and Reinhart(VGK)

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Domingue is one of the best tank goalies you can find.

Timely saves? Strong mentally? High-end talent?

Yeah you don't have to worry about any of that.

If you're fallin for Dahlin, Domingue is your man.
You could do worse. For example, you want to make the playoffs but you have Zatkoff in goal.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow....Reinhart a fourth overall draft pick by the Islanders.....Oilers blew their brains out in acquiring him, now on waivers in Vegas.....just goes to show, being an NHL scout is as much about guesswork as talent evaluation.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
Can someone please alert the Oilers fan who told us, "With all due respect, the Oilers won [the Reinhart for Barzal and Beauvillier] trade"? It's rare to find a hockey mind that astute, and I'd like to commend him.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Jeez what was GMGM thinking? Surely he could have taken a better player than him

Not exactly a murderer's row of available talent: https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/oilers-announce-protected-list-for-expansion/c-289973470

Not sure if they'd be that much better with a Tyler Pitlick or Jujhar Khaira. I probably would have taken Reinhart as well.

Can someone please alert the Oilers fan who told us, "With all due respect, the Oilers won [the Reinhart for Barzal and Beauvillier] trade"? It's rare to find a hockey mind that astute, and I'd like to commend him.

Probably the same guy who argued with us (circa 2007) that Edmonton won the 2003 trade down which resulted in Zach Parise for M.A. Pouliot and J.F. Jacques. But realistically every fan base is gonna have that one fan who just can't admit they might have made a mistake.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The problem with Reinhart isn't that he's a defensive defenseman. It's that he can't skate.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Do the expansion rules allow Edmonton to claim Reinhart?

I am fairly certain they can pick him up if they wanted(I know the rules allowed for teams to trade for a player that they lost in the expansion draft). The only thing I think that wasn't allowed was trading a player before the expansion draft to a team then trading for that player back after the expansion draft

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The problem with Reinhart isn't that he's a defensive defenseman. It's that he can't skate.
It's really not even that. It's that he reacts too slowly at the NHL level. In a league where defensemen shouldn't be getting beaten on the outside, he's very prone to it. Every aspect of his game is a little slower than it needs to be. I honestly believe he'll eventually make it as an NHLer but he needs someone to give him an opportunity and time to adjust. As it stands, he's a very good AHL defenseman. He'd probably be a passable 7th D in the NHL.

He'll be claimed.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Coyotes are a train-wreck.....season could be over for them by the 20-game mark, and goaltending only part of the problem.....a neophyte GM with an obsession for analytics is a bigger part of the problem. Florida went with it and crashed and burned......Possession stats; shot differential; analytics and Corsi numbers.....you might as well put them in the blender and hit 'start" over.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Something about those Reinharts.

I still remember few years ago when there was a big story on the NHL.com frontpage about the bros. Sam was going to be a 1st liner for Buffalo some day, Max was going to be a regular for Calgary and Griffin top 4 dman for the Isles.

Who knows maybe someone succeeds but the Reinhart bros clearly are not in a hurray to meet expectations :D
Griffin is as close to a bust as could be, but neither of the others are a "disappointment". Sam is a top 6 forward playing on a terrible team and Max was a 3rd round pick.. which gives him similar odds of NHL success to an undrafted player. He's a replacement level NHL player with 30+ NHL games under his belt. I'd say he is exceeding expectations for a 3rd round pick.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Reinhart is smart and knows how to play defense. He knows where to be positionaly and is good with his stick.

The problem for him is his lack of speed and explosiveness. 15 years ago he would have been a fine stay at home Defensman but in today's game he gets exposed and exploited but opposing forwards.

It also doesn't help that he's big but soft as a kitten.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
good times when as an Avs fan, I was seeing people claim on these boards that Domingue was better than Pickard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->