Does Your NHL Team Have A Distinct Drafting Style?

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-SHARKIE

Even though the Sharks are a good team when it comes to drafting, example alot of are players Stuart,Hannan,Marleau,Sturm,Nabakov, ect.ect. Were draft picks.

But I can't help but feal jealous of the Detriot Redwings, They can have no picks in the first two rounds and some how be able to walk away as the victorious team of that draft year. There scouting staff deserves lots of credit.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Panthers seem to draft and acquire skilled euros and smaller players untill this year.

Nilson
Dvorak
Brown (opposite)
Huselius
Novoseltsev
Krajicek
Saphoznikov
Weiss
Horton
Stewart
Taticek
Bouwmeester
Jovanovski
Niedermayer
Kreps
Shvidki

Rarely ever do the cats draft from the Q.
Roussin and Laniel are the only 2 I can remember from the Q. We don't draft much in the early rounds in the Whl.

McNeil
Meyer
Johner
Watson
Niedermayer
etc....

Most of our 1rst rounders come from the Ohl.

We don't really draft from NCAA

Woodfred
Fried
Hafner
Globke (one of the most underrated prospects in the league.)
Bellissimo

USHL

Olsen

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
IslandersFan said:
Mad Mike took over as G.M. for the Isles in December of 95 and for the most part his first round picks came from Juniors:

1996 - J.P. Dumont -LW- QMJHL
1997 - Roberto Luongo - G- QMJHL
Eric Brewer -D- WHL
1998 - Mike Rupp -LW- OHL
1999 - Tim Connolly -C- OHL
Taylor Pyatt -LW- OHL
Branislav Mezei -D- OHL
Kristian Kudroc -D- QMJHL
2000 - Rick Dipietro -G- NCAA
Raffi Torres -LW - OHL
2001 - Traded to Ottawa in Yashin deal

Since Mad Mike canned Gordie Clark as the Director of Personnel for the Isles, they have taken on a European flavor when drafting:

2002 - Sean Bergenheim -C- FNL
2003 - Kent Nilsson -LW- SEL

Regardless of where he drafts them from, the common denominator appears to be that he trades them before they get a chance to do anything anyways. Bergenheim & Nilsson are the only 2 that remain in the Isles organization.
Don't you mean Robert Nilsson.

Honestly, with that name I've seen guys screw it up as Patrick, Kent and Marcus. (If only Marcus had half the talent of Robert)
DiPietro still plays for you last time I checked :)

Waveburner

Sep 22, 2002
The Canucks tend to go for more "sure things" over splash and dash. Since 1998-Allen (stay at home with NHL size-safe bet to make it) 1999-Sedins (lower scoring upside than Brendl/Conolly but more complete and likely to stick in the NHL) 2000-Smith (was a reach on a low-upside center...just a poor pick in general but was also an attempt to get a "safe player") 2001-Umberger (not the safe pick-he was the high upside pick-unfortunately now Burke doesn't want to pay him) 2002-no pick 2003-Kesler (another safe pick with seemingly limited upside-but he looks like a player).

In the later rounds Burke gambles a bit-but 70% of his draft picks are 2-way forwards or 2-way d-men...our scouts seem to like utility players, unless a player is available with a extremely high skill set (Koltsov, Fedorov) has fallen in the draft.

Wild Thing

Child... please.
Feb 18, 2003
Way Down South
Visit site
Minnesota believes that you can teach defense, but you can't teach offense. So they try to use their first and sometimes second round picks on whatever pure offensive talent is still there at their draft slot, and steal defensive prospects in the mid to later rounds, hoping to groom them into studs later on. It's too early to tell how well the overall strategy is working, but Marion Gaborik and Pierre Marc Bouchard (and to a lesser extent, Brent Burns) seem to be validating the offensive theory so far. Mikko Koivu will get a chance to justify his #6 overall pick next season, along with last year's second-rounder Paddy O'Sullivan. Chris Heid, Eric Reitz, and Nick Schultz seem to be bearing out the defenseman portion of the master plan. Defensemen take a few more years to develop, so it may be a few years before those three make their impact.

To address a shortage of young goaltenders in the system, the team broke from this pattern in 2002, drafting 2 goalies in the first 3 rounds.The result of that was Josh Harding, WHL player of the year last season and one of the brightest stars in the Wild's system.

The team looks for coachable, hardworking, good skaters with strong character. They seldom depart from this template except to draft Kyle Wanvig.

Angered Hab

Apr 23, 2003
Great White North
Visit site
The Dallas Stars love smallish players. They almost refuse to go big in the draft. Erskine may be the biggest player they've drafted since Hatcher. They should possibly consider a change in philosophy over there. Just my opinion.

HaB :joker:

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
kings love high risk players for some reason. for the last few years, we've gotten at least 1 first rounder who was considered either a project or high risk high reward that unfortuantely has yet to bear any fruit at all. atypically, high risk means big kid with some hockey skills that have yet to come into full bloom.

after that, the kings tend to pick the best player possible, completely disregarding their needs. not sure yet if that's the best possible solution to our problems, but then we'll see how succesful this all is in about 5-7 years

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Angered Hab said:
The Dallas Stars love smallish players. They almost refuse to go big in the draft. Erskine may be the biggest player they've drafted since Hatcher. They should possibly consider a change in philosophy over there. Just my opinion.

HaB :joker:

Matt Nickerson, could quite possibly grow till 6'6..

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Doesn't make any sense to try and determine a drafting style if the scouting staff has changed so the Flames can only really look at the past 3 years.

During the Craig Button in the 2001 draft we focused on skilled fowards for the most part trying to fill our organizational weaknesses. We went with mostly European and College players. You typically don't have to decide whether to keep them or lose within two years unlike the major junior players and I think that was Button's reasoning. Plus you don't have to spend as much money developing them. Button's favourite attributes appeared to be speed, skill and heart. He also likes size down the middle although we did nab a few small forwards in 2001 (Trubachev and Shastin.)

In 2002 we still leaned towards forwards although we took a real out of character pick in the 2nd with McConnell as his skating had been criticized.

Now Sutter takes over. I believe in the two Craig Button drafts we only took one defensemen in the top 7 rounds (Jim Hakewill in the 5th) and little to no CHL players (we only took two re-entries, Bembridge and Lombardi.) So our system was lacking size, North Americans, grit and most notably defensemen. So Sutter told chief scout Tod Button to look for those attributes (plus skating of course.) That netted us Phaneuf and Ramholt for defensemen and a bunch of gritty North American wingers with varying skill levels.

I would say now that the system is fairly balanced for forwards vs defensemen vs goalies and euros vs NA's and skill vs grit. The biggest hole we have (and have had for the past decade) is the lack of a big top two line centremen and it would not surprise me at all if this year we try and nab one in the first two rounds. I think Sutter may be a little less specific to our scouting staff about filling holes this time around but landing a big centre may be the exception. I'd expect size, skating and heart to be what Sutter and the scouts focus on.

Personally I've been hoping for a big centremen since the '97 draft and we haven't seen a blue chipper in all that time. I'm crossing my fingers that this year is the year. Certainly there's no pressing need for a goaltender with Medvedev, Krahn, McElhinney, Sabourin, Turek and Kiprusoff in the fold. Same goes for the defense where we are stacked with Leopold, Regehr, Lydman, Ference, Montador, Commodore, Phaneuf, Ramholt and some lesser known prospects (Rozakov, Pierre Johnson, Jonas Frogen.) And I would have argued before last draft that wing was our deepest position with Kobasew, Saprykin, Nystrom (all 1st rounders) and some lesser known guys like Tomi Maki, David Moss, Kristoffer Persson, Robert Dome, Yegor Shastin, Ruslan Zainullin, Van Der Gulik, etc. Centre was looking a little average but the play of Matthew Lombardi has been a very pleasant surprise and most Flames fans are fairly excited about the Russian duo of Trubachev and Taratukhin.

Overall a fairly balanced system with only one glaring need, the aforementioned big centreman.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Personally I've been hoping for a big centremen since the '97 draft and we haven't seen a blue chipper in all that time. I'm crossing my fingers that this year is the year. Certainly there's no pressing need for a goaltender with Medvedev, Krahn, McElhinney, Sabourin, Turek and Kiprusoff in the fold. Same goes for the defense where we are stacked with Leopold, Regehr, Lydman, Ference, Montador, Commodore, Phaneuf, Ramholt and some lesser known prospects (Rozakov, Pierre Johnson, Jonas Frogen.) And I would have argued before last draft that wing was our deepest position with Kobasew, Saprykin, Nystrom (all 1st rounders) and some lesser known guys like Tomi Maki, David Moss, Kristoffer Persson, Robert Dome, Yegor Shastin, Ruslan Zainullin, Van Der Gulik, etc. Centre was looking a little average but the play of Matthew Lombardi has been a very pleasant surprise and most Flames fans are fairly excited about the Russian duo of Trubachev and Taratukhin.

Overall a fairly balanced system with only one glaring need, the aforementioned big centreman.
agree with this post....

as someone who doesn't follow the draft too closely myself until the month leading up to things, let assume Calgary drafts somewhere between 13 and 20 this year....who are some of the centers we should be thinking of? (assuming Sutter leans towards Big, Skating and CHL in that order)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad