Does your ECHL team have any solid NHL prospects on its roster?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
One of the cool things about being an ECHL fan is trying to project which players can ultimately make it to the NHL. The Cincinnati Cyclones are in year 12 from their 2 year franchise suspension (2004-06) and there have been roughly 20-30 players who have made it to the NHL for at least one game. David Desharnais, who played in 2007-08, was the ECHL MVP and leading scorer is the most prominent former Cyclones player in the NHL. Though small in stature, he was an easy call to play in the NHL.

Since I started the thread, I'll throw out my NHL prediction on the current Cyclones roster. It's an easy call. Justin Danforth, who is second in the ECHL in points with 58 and second in the league in goals with 28 is in the top 3 most talented forwards to play in Cincinnati in the past 12 years. The others were the aforementioned Desharnais (who is now playing for the NY Rangers) and Cory Conacher who played a mere 3 games with the Cyclones several years ago and went on to be the AHL MVP and is currently playing for the Tampa Bay Lightning. Danforth, in my estimation, has as much, perhaps more talent than either of these two.

Danforth won the ECHL speed skating competition at the recent All Star game and set a record while doing so. He's fast, he's quick in tight quarters, he's got a scoring range of up to 40 feet and can pass the puck extremely well. He's not big-listed at 5'9" 183 lbs., but that's not the impediment it once was. Of note, both Desharnais and Conacher are smaller than Danforth. He's 24 and a first year pro. He played in a non prestigious college hockey program (Sacred Heart U.). These work against him. But once Rochester calls him up and gives him more than a game like his last call up, it'll be the last time he sees the ECHL. I have no doubt that he'll excel in the AHL. The next step is, of course, much harder, but if Byron Froese and Logan Shaw can do it (both former Cyclones), I have no doubt Danforth can as well.

Justin Danforth hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

So, who is your most likely NHL prospect?

Last edited:

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
For the Royals: no one currently. Alex Krushenyski is the most skilled forward who has played for the Royals this year. He's clearly an AHL level player, but because he wasn't drafted and hasn't even made it to the AHL full time in his fourth season I don't think he has a realistic shot at the NHL. On D, same for Adam Comrie, he's been up and down between the AHL and ECHL his whole career. He was drafted in 2008, but at this point, after 8 years pro, he is an AHL player who won't always find room on a roster. He's currently signed with Utica after starting the year on an ECHL contract. Both goalies are journeymen. They might get an NHL game as a fill in if there were multiple injuries, but neither is a prospect with any real NHL aspirations. We have 8 players on AHL contracts and no NHL contracted players. Not a bad thing for an ECHL team, IMO. Several guys who are getting paid more than they count on the salary cap, who are good enough to play in the AHL, but will spend most of the year with the Royals, barring a run of injuries. It is exciting to see that future NHL star, but the likelihood that you have him around very long is small. Guys like Rich Peverley, Jon Quick, and Jeff Guiliano were nice to have for half a season and then follow their NHL career, but realistically they only played 20 games or so with the Royals so they didn't contribute to a successful season, or a playoff run at all.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
["royals119, post: 141406711, member: 37951]
On D, same for Adam Comrie, he's been up and down between the AHL and ECHL his whole career. He was drafted in 2008, but at this point, after 8 years pro, he is an AHL player who won't always find room on a roster. He's currently signed with Utica after starting the year on an ECHL contract.

Comrie has so many of the tools, it's a shame that he probably will never even get a cup of coffee in the NHL. The kid has size, skates well for a big guy (or did when he was in Cincinnati) and had a nice shot.

He started his career in the Florida orgization and spent most of his first year in the AHL with Rochester. A few games into his second year, he quit the Cyclones (I know the details but won't share them due to confidentiality) and walked away from his NHL contract which paid him around $70,000 in the minors and a pro rated share of his signing bonus. I was told that he walked away from about $250,000.

I knew of Quick's Reading association but didn't know or forgot about Peverley. People tend to discount the ECHL, but there is a ton of talent in the league.

I'm still bitter about losing the first two games of the Conference Finals in 2013 to you guys. LOL. I went to those games which both ended in OT. Really like your arena. It's absolutely perfect for the ECHL level. I wish your franchise well as it has to hurt to have the the LV Phantoms so close to you.

And bring back Larry the Legend!! Always enjoyed chirping him.

Last edited:

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Anyone who discounts the talent level or quality of ECHL players is either ignorant, arrogant, or simply not knowledgeable about the game. The ECHL is invaluable for many reasons. Ever notice many college players who have difficulty adjusting to the "grind", the rigors of professional hockey below the NHL is tough. College players grind through practices yes but the game and travel schedule is often pretty meek. Talent and skill development aside the ECHL provides that "front door" to paying your dues to playing professionally. If you have bad attitude, bad work habits, or other social or psychological issues those weaknesses will be exposed and vetted at the ECHL/AHL levels lol. It is where players become professionals, regardless of skill and talent level.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think Kansas City has 2 in Tyler Parsons and Mason McDonald. A Lot of people aren't high on McDonald, but I think he has always been a long term project and I think he does still have a ton of potential.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Anyone who discounts the talent level or quality of ECHL players is either ignorant, arrogant, or simply not knowledgeable about the game. The ECHL is invaluable for many reasons. Ever notice many college players who have difficulty adjusting to the "grind", the rigors of professional hockey below the NHL is tough. College players grind through practices yes but the game and travel schedule is often pretty meek. Talent and skill development aside the ECHL provides that "front door" to paying your dues to playing professionally. If you have bad attitude, bad work habits, or other social or psychological issues those weaknesses will be exposed and vetted at the ECHL/AHL levels lol. It is where players become professionals, regardless of skill and talent level.
Very true. A lot of guys in this league have the talent to play at the next level, or even in the NHL, but what is holding them back is "between the ears". If you spend all your time sulking, and complaining about playing at this level you probably aren't going to make it. If you show up every day, play hard, work on improving and being a good team mate, your odds of going back up are much higher.

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
Connor Bleackley was a very high draft pick, I would assume he will play in the nhl within 3 to 5 years. Is he the only forward in the ECHL that was drafted in the first round?

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Connor Bleackley was a very high draft pick, I would assume he will play in the nhl within 3 to 5 years. Is he the only forward in the ECHL that was drafted in the first round?
Just looking on the internet, he was drafted in the first round by Colorado in 2014, wasn't offered a contract, and then was drafted again by St Louis in the fifth round in 2016. He played 45 AHL games last year with 14 ECHL games and only 7 AHL games, with 37 ECHL this year so far. He's on the second year of his three year entry level contract. He could make the NHL, but it doesn't seem likely. He's been trending down since his final year of juniors when he was injured, his scoring dropped, and he was stripped of the captaincy of his junior team.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Forwards who get drafted high (first/second round) and end up in the ECHL is generally a very bearish signal regarding their likelihood of getting to the NHL. First round picks who do any ECHL time are almost always busts.

Hurricane Ron

Jul 23, 2015
Tulsa
I've seen Bleackley play a fair amount this year. Some nights, you can see he's clearly one of the better players on the ice. Other nights, not so much. He's almost averaged a point a game with the Oilers this season, which he's got that going for him, which is nice.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
IMO, none of the St. Louis Blues-owned players on the current Tulsa Oilers roster - Tommy Vannelli, Justin Selman, Conner Bleackley, Dmitrii Sergeev - are likely to see more than a rare emergency call-up to St. Louis for however long they remain associated. The Blues will be focused on getting their affiliation with San Antonio in order for the foreseeable future, and they've got a growing collection of juniors & AHL prospects that will stand in line well ahead of any ECHL players.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
After 17 years of seeing players come and go with the Royals and their various affiliates it seems like there are a few categories of players who make it to the NHL
1 - Goalies. Sometimes an organization has so many prospects that a guy with real potential ends up in the ECHL because there isn't enough room, and sometimes the organization purposely decides to have a journeyman veteran split time with their top goalie prospect in the AHL, and put their second best NHL prospect in the ECHL as the starter to get him lots of games.
2 - Guys on entry level contracts who don't have an NHL future but get a couple games in the final year of their contract, either as a favor for working hard in the minors for three years, or to get one last look before deciding not to re-sign them. I think Tyrell Goulbourne will end up in this category. I can see him signing an AHL contract with Lehigh Valley next year, after his NHL contract expires. He split two seasons between Reading and Allentown before making the AHL roster full time this year, and had an NHL cup of coffee last month with the Flyers. The Kings used to do this when they weren't making the playoffs, they'd call up their expiring contracts for a few games at the end of the season after they got eliminated and the games didn't really matter.
3 - Guys who fell through the cracks for whatever reason (injury, late bloomer, played for a weak junior or college team) and weren't signed to an NHL or AHL deal and had to work their way up. Jeff Guiliano, Ryan Flinn, and Rich Peverley, for the Royals all had significant NHL playing time after starting out as ECHL contracted players. Deryk Engelland also took this route, (He spent parts of four seasons in the ECHL, but only six games as a Royal.)
4 - Guys who were NHL prospects all along, but ended up playing a few games in the ECHL as an injury rehab, or roster squeeze. George Parros played three games with the Royals as a rookie after getting hurt in AHL training camp.

I think the third group are the true ECHL success stories. I don't know of any skaters who were initially signed to an NHL contract and played more than a few games in both the ECHL and NHL.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
For the Beast, Zach Fucale definitely had the hype being an early 2nd round pick.. But his stats have been pretty poor. I don't think he will make the NHL even as a regular duty back up.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
I think the third group are the true ECHL success stories. I don't know of any skaters who were initially signed to an NHL contract and played more than a few games in both the ECHL and NHL.

There probably isn't many examples but Byron Froese comes to mind.

He signed an ELC with the Hawks but failed to establish himself at the AHL level. Once his NHL SPC was over, he signed with Cincinnati. About midway through the season (2014-2015), he got a chance with the Marlies where he became a legit AHL top 6 forward. He's now been sharing his time between the NHL and AHL for the past three years.

If you count playoff games, he has played over 100 games at each level.

Yanni Gourde didn't start his pro career on a NHL ELC but his story is similar to a certain degree.

He signed a one-year AHL contract with San Jose after leading the QMJHL in scoring. He played 54 games for the Worcester Sharks but didn't have much impact. The following offseason he was forced to take a step back as he signed a ECHL-only contract. He got off to a great start in the ECHL (34 points in 30 game) and got another opportunity with the Sharks on a PTO contract. At the conclusion of his PTO deal where he scored 24 points in 25 games, the Lightning outbid the Sharks by offering Gourde a NHL entry-level contract. The rest is history.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
The Royals got Anthony Stolarz on a rehab assignment yesterday, and he might be in town for another game or two. He's a Flyers goalie prospect who had meniscus surgery before the season and is finally healthy enough to play again. He has a few NHL games already, and was seen as the potential goalie of the future, however he is a restricted free agent after the season and the Flyers have some more drafted goalies who may be turning pro next year, plus Alex Lyon on his entry level contract, and they just upgraded John Muse from an AHL deal to an NHL deal. Stolarz still has NHL potential, but his window is starting to close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad