Does the 32OA Pick Move This Draft, And For What?

What does Botts do with the 32OA pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
If we can get a good young NHLer for the pick we should trade it. Otherwize there are plenty of good players that can fall.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I’d prefer to pick.

I’d trade up for someone I like (Olofsson).

I wouldn’t trade it to goaltending.

I would possibly trade it for other roster improvements.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
If one of the second tier dmen started to fall, and got to say the teens, I'd be very excited about the idea of trading up and grabbing that player. We could solve our defensive pipeline issue in one swing. Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy to stand pat and take someone at 32.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
32nd OA plus Bogosian or Pominville for:
NYR #26 (from BOS) or
NYR (#29, or #30, or #31) (from TBL)

32nd OA plus Beaulieu for OTT #21 (Beaulieu because OTT will need a post TDL Karlsson replacement :laugh: )

32nd OA plus Lehner for OTT #21 :laugh: :laugh:

32nd OA plus Lehner for DET #30 or #31 (from LVGK Tatar deal)

32nd OA plus Lehner for DET #30/31 plus Howard

32nd OA plus Beaulieu to DET for #30/31 plus Trevor Daley

More seriously:
#32OA to one of the teams which lack a 1st rounder in return for a young NHL defenseman who is pushed down the depth chart on their current team. Add Beaulieu or McCabe if needed.

Or go for a vet to shore up the D.
CGY Travis Hamonic? Michael Stone?
PIT Sabres add to get Dumoulin or Matta?
LVGK McNabb :laugh:
BOS Seidenberg (Jack Edward's most underrated defenseman in the NHL :laugh:)
TBL Girardi or Carle
WPG one of their RFA youngsters or Kulikov :laugh:
NSH one of their ELC youngsters, or add to get Ellis or Eckholm.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I hope there is a Sekera trade out there for us....
(Sekera for early 2nd and McBain)

32nd and McCabe for Athanasiou + 2019 2nd?

Happy to stand pat and take a player... but I'm not loving the talent in the 25-50 range of this draft.

I haven't met a wings fan who doesn't consider Athanasiou as one of their core pieces to build around. People talk about Bennet or Domi because they didn't live up to expectations, but Athanasiou?

Reactions: Mr Meeseeks

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Granted, Anthanasiou is also coming off a contentious contract negotiation and the Wings have some cap constraining contracts which likely brings his name to the fore whenever looking for possible targets.

Reactions: sabrebuild

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
From what I’ve gathered from Botts I think he keeps the pick.

Buffalo has high end talent at forward and a decent amount of bottom-6 guys. Outside of Guhle and dahlin Buffalo doesn’t have much coming up on defense. Pilut is intriguing.

IMO Botterill realizes that the consistently good teams like Pitt, Tampa, Chicago for a number of years, and others were/are good because they have a consistent influx of young (read: cheap) talent. A pick at 32 all but guarantees Buffalo gets a guy they had a mid/late first round grade on.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
This is kind of a hard poll to vote on right now without knowing how the 1st round of the draft will play out.
Everything depends on that.

I like the idea of potentially trading back into the 1st, but only if the right player is still on the board and the cost to do so is reasonable.
Like, if one of the other top 5 D men start to slide. Or a guy who could potentially be a long term solution on Eichel's wing. Any player you project to be a high impact type, really.

I would also consider trading it for the right roster player.

And if the right team is desperate enough to offer you their 2019 1st, you obviously have to strongly consider it.
Now, if it's a team that you expect to be playing into may (and you think you're looking at a pick in the late 20's) it may not be worth it. But if a bubble team offers it? I'd probably jump on it (assuming there isn't any player left on the board that you just can't pass up).

With the situation Buffalo is in, I think they have to be open to most options.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
This would be a drastically different poll for me if fletcher had given us more 2nd and 3rd rounders like he used to do.

You either draft a first round talent slider or trade back slightly if it helps you get into the 3rd round this year.

Reactions: Mr Meeseeks

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
Keep. Players drop every year - I think Botts can score on someone that was projected to be a higher pick.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Unless a #1 proven goalie can be had for that price I keep the pick. Build up organizational depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->