Does Team Canada Play like an NHL Team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hart_House_Ca

Feb 21, 2004
Does anyone agree that watching team canada play is like watching an NHL team?

I don't mean to diss other teams, but watching Canada play is like watching and NHL Team vs a Junior Team. Well, atleast the recent scores reflect this.

It might be just the competition but Canada's game is just on a higher scale. When you look at the breakouts, the offensive setup, the forecheck, the PP, the PK and the defensive zone coverage it just reminds me of an NHL calibre team.

AgentNaslund*

This team would make the playoffs in the NHL. With the exception of putting in Marc Andre Fleury.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Well, maybe they'd beat Columbus ... once, in a 7-game series.

Just kidding, I have no idea not having seen any games!

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
AgentNaslund said:
This team would make the playoffs in the NHL. With the exception of putting in Marc Andre Fleury.

Not a chance. They would get dead last in the league and probably get the all-time worst recoed in the NHL. These are 17-19 yr old prospects and although it looks good now, quite a few of these guys will probably NOT pan out to be solid NHLers.

Faaxinho

Dec 2, 2003
Tampere, Finland
I think they would win max. five games in 82. Remember, they are only 17-19 year-old kids. It seems that realistic thinking has got thrown out of the window somewhere.

crossxcheck

Nov 17, 2003
Nashvegas
give me a break. team canada is obviously a cut above the rest and players such as bergeron, crosby, and phaneuf are all good enough to be playing nhl hockey right now but to say the team could beat an NHL team is a laugh.

Schenn02

Dec 7, 2003
abroad
Visit site
I think we're all missing NHL hockey too much :cry: OK but I don't think its like watching an NHL team, I'm just glad we have the World Juniors to watch although they do seem a bit professional.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
AgentNaslund said:

Laughable.

It's too much of a stretch to say they could compete with a Washington or Pittsburgh, but to say that they would make the NHL playoffs is absurd.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
They play a very similar style to NHL teams. But to think that they could win in the NHL is rediculous. They still make far too many simple mistakes with the puck. The three teams they have played against haven't exactly been the tightest checking teams in history. Canada does not have the experience to deal with the high pressure checking in the NHL.

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
AgentNaslund said:

Homer

athospital.jpg

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Put it this way, how many players on this team would have made the NHL this year. A handful maybe? Even at that, most of them would have seen limited 3rd or 4th line duty.
They would get absolutely pounded by even the worst NHL team - they're still kids.

kris

Jan 12, 2003
Calgary via Halifax
If this team was playing in the NHL they would be - guys like Phaneuf, Bergeron and Carter, so no, I don't think this team would be able to make the NHL playoffs.

IF they throw in Horton and Burns, along with an NHL goaltender and keep the players above, yes I do think they can make the playoffs.

This damn lockout.

crossxcheck

Nov 17, 2003
Nashvegas
kris said:
If this team was playing in the NHL they would be - guys like Phaneuf, Bergeron and Carter, so no, I don't think this team would be able to make the NHL playoffs.

IF they throw in Horton and Burns, along with an NHL goaltender and keep the players above, yes I do think they can make the playoffs.

This damn lockout.

I still doubt they'd even come close to making the playoffs.

Sparepart

Jun 6, 2002
Montreal
The original poster asked if this team "plays like" an NHL team, he did not ask how this team would do if they played in the NHL.

To answer the original poster, no they do not play like an NHL team.... Team Canada is actually entertaining.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
They would be an ok AHL team. The D would be able to hang in there against some NHL teams for a while, but the forwards would have loads of trouble. The checking line would be bouncing off everyone, and any speed advantage the team currently has, would be gone - in fact, they would be slower than most NHL teams. I won't even begin with the goaltending, which wouldn't matter in the end.

They might pull off 5-10 wins, but it would be ugly.

That said, Crosby would probably score 50-60 points for an expansion team this year. If they play a season next year, I think Crosby and Ovechkin will be in the all-star game (no, not the rookie game).

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
JasonMacIsaac said:
I think This team vs an ECHL team would be a decent battle.

No. This team would do VERY well in the ECHL. I think they would stand a decent chance in the AHL, but not even close to NHL caliber.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
As of today the Question is silly ..

But give me Crosby and Phaneuf and Carter and Bergeron and 5 years NHL experience with this team and the situation would be completely different IMO

romain_jaime

Feb 10, 2004
Montreal
Stick the Canadian Junior team in the NHL now and they would be flying high for a few games just off of adrenaline but within 20 games reality will set in once they've been banged around by the Flyer's and Bruins' of the NHL :help:

10-15 wins MAX

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
I think they'd just get hammerred every time they'd try to make a pass, and the entire team would be injured in less than 10 games. They're only kids for God's sakes, and some of them will never make it to the NHL!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->