Speculation: Does Sutter stay beyond this season?

Sutter re-signing?

• Yes he will re-sign

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Depends how this season goes

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Farm-bound in 2023

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
With all our moves after Gaudreau/Tkachuk leaving, we seem to have opened a firm 2-3 year cup window. Does this convince Sutter to stay on with his contract up at the end of the season?

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
They have to be really careful with Sutter as coach. Sutter really has a shelf life of 3 to 4 yrs before he starts to lose the room and he is going into his 3rd (full and partial) season. I would be ok with another 1 yr extension but if they give him a 4 yr extension he wont be around till the end of it.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
They have to be really careful with Sutter as coach. Sutter really has a shelf life of 3 to 4 yrs before he starts to lose the room and he is going into his 3rd (full and partial) season. I would be ok with another 1 yr extension but if they give him a 4 yr extension he wont be around till the end of it.
Given the extent of turnover in last two seasons, we might be able to reset that clock.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
True, but the offensive core has been swapped around. Dont see him losing the room when 3 major pieces were swapped out this off season.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Given the extent of turnover in last two seasons, we might be able to reset that clock.
thats why i said a 1 yr extension would be ok
True, but the offensive core has been swapped around. Dont see him losing the room when 3 major pieces were swapped out this off season.
My concern is that Huberdeau isn't able to fit his game into Sutter's system as he is the key factor of how long Sutter stays. If Huberdeau pushes back who is easier to get rid of the coach or the 29 YO play making forward on an 8 yr $84M contract

scoringmachine

Jan 17, 2007
I hope that Sutter stays beyond this season he helped Calgary win the division and probably can again. Due you think Jarome Iginla would ever come back to Calgary and want to be an assistant coach. He still has his buddies Martin Gelina and Craig Conroy working in the organization. Just a thought.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
thats why i said a 1 yr extension would be ok

My concern is that Huberdeau isn't able to fit his game into Sutter's system as he is the key factor of how long Sutter stays. If Huberdeau pushes back who is easier to get rid of the coach or the 29 YO play making forward on an 8 yr $84M contract
If Huberdeau 'pushes back' he is a primma donna and should be traded immediately.

You're either part of the problem or part of the solution. You can change coaches but there would be no guarantee the players wouldn't behave the same way with a new one.

Sutter is the type of guy that won't retire. I bet if you ask he'd say I'll rest when I'm dead.

He'll farm/ranch in the summer and coach hockey in the winter for as long as he can.

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
I think we should hire Trotz as a scout for the next x amount of years at good money and he can take over once Sutts is done. Enough of going back to shitty coaches. As we can tell it makes all the difference

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think Sutter is done. He likely wants to spend more time doing the things he loves. The only way he extends for one more season has to do purely with the roster asking for him back rather than management/ownership asking.

I do think he will not be totally gone though. He will likely be very happy to regularly come in to do coaching consulting gig for whoever takes over. I don't think we will have to worry about as huge of a coaching quality drop off once he's gone.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I think he'll stay. He came back for a specific reason and he still hasn't achieved that.
Sutter isn't a quitter when the job is only half done.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think he'll stay. He came back for a specific reason and he still hasn't achieved that.
Sutter isn't a quitter when the job is only half done.

But sir, he cannot harvest a planted field that isn't growing.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I expect Sutter to stay beyond this year. Treliving and Sutter will ensure we have a competitive team, i.e. with a chance to go all the way, every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad