Does scouting matter at the draft?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
A good scout (and scouting staff) can make all the differance in the world. See: David Conte and the New Jersey Devils (a tad overrated, but a real asset nonetheless). On the other hand, certain teams seem to do well despite questionable scouting See: the Calgary Flames. The bottomline is asset management, timing, and a bit of luck.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
How much of a factor is a player's post-draft development environment in how he turns out? It could be that Team A ends up with the best draft results not because they had the best scouts and drafted the best 18-year old players, but instead because they had the best development program.

QFT

We take this fact for granted so much as fans. People seem to delight in identifying busts and superstars in a draft, and seem to forget how much else is involved.

I've always found that it is no coincidence that winning teams also seem to develop a lot of great players, like Detroit, Colorado and New Jersey. It becomes a chicken or the egg scenario, as to which has lead to which, but, I firmly believe that having guys like Yzerman, Sakic, Stevens, Niedermayer, Lidstrom, etc. be in a position to mentor and teach these younger players plays a massive role in their development. Plus, the issue of knowing when to thrust a player into a bigger role, and when to break them in slowly is a major area as well, often dictated by team needs more than anything (especially in a capped world, where more teams seem to be relying on rookies in major roles, while contending for the cup).

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
QFT

We take this fact for granted so much as fans. People seem to delight in identifying busts and superstars in a draft, and seem to forget how much else is involved.

I've always found that it is no coincidence that winning teams also seem to develop a lot of great players, like Detroit, Colorado and New Jersey. It becomes a chicken or the egg scenario, as to which has lead to which, but, I firmly believe that having guys like Yzerman, Sakic, Stevens, Niedermayer, Lidstrom, etc. be in a position to mentor and teach these younger players plays a massive role in their development. Plus, the issue of knowing when to thrust a player into a bigger role, and when to break them in slowly is a major area as well, often dictated by team needs more than anything (especially in a capped world, where more teams seem to be relying on rookies in major roles, while contending for the cup).

So true.

I always thought Daigle (if drafted into a team like Detroit) would have been a star rather than what he is now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->