Does my computer battery need to be replaced?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I assume it does but I'm not sure.

The reason why I'm not sure is because it's still charing but on separate occasions now the charing light that is usually solid white has been solid red/orange

It has eventually always gone back to white but to use to never be red/orange.

I assume the battery is getting weaker and that's why It does it but that's odd because I've only had it about 10 months.

I don't know much about computers at all but I do know the battery is supposed to last 2-4 years

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
You are talking laptop here right? I just did mine for a 5 year old laptop I use for browsing only now basically. It got to the point that I could not use it unless it was plugged in as the battery would not hold a charge. You can watch You Tube videos to make sure but most are easy enough to change yourself.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You are talking laptop here right? I just did mine for a 5 year old laptop I use for browsing only now basically. It got to the point that I could not use it unless it was plugged in as the battery would not hold a charge. You can watch You Tube videos to make sure but most are easy enough to change yourself.

Yes it's a laptop

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
An orange light often means that the battery is charging and a white light means that it's fully charged. If you've never seen it orange before, perhaps you've just always had it on the charger. When it's orange, check the operating system (ex. Windows has a battery icon in the lower right) to see if it's, indeed, charging. If it is and you haven't had it off of the charger recently, that could indicate a power supply issue. If your charger is plugged into a power strip, try plugging it directly into a wall outlet. If that makes no difference, then it's not the power strip and could be the charger, itself. The laptop should be under warranty, so maybe try contacting the manufacturer, explaining the situation and seeing if they'll send you a replacement charger. You could also just buy one (look at the model number on the original and search for that on Amazon or eBay). I've had to replace the chargers at least once during the lifetimes of most laptops that I've owned. If it's not the charger, then it could be the battery, as you guessed. It really shouldn't be having any issues so soon, though. You'd probably want to contact the manufacturer about that, too. Before you do, though, something that you can try is leaving the laptop on battery (maybe by running a continuous benchmark or game to drain it quickly and prevent it from going to sleep) until is runs out and then charge it all of the way up. That can sometimes help when there are capacity or charging issues with batteries.

Last edited:
Reactions: beowulf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad