Does Katz Care About The Oilers? Or Does Katz Care Only About The Money?

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
Seriously?

Judging by last summers moves, they penny pinched with a bunch of stupid moves thinking they would still be competitive.

Was this Katz telling the management to trim some cash, while his profits soared?

This organization is hard to cheer for the way it handles business.

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Money? but even then I have no idea

If he cared about the Oilers they wouldn’t be in the state that they have been in since he bought the team. To him the teams just his billionaire play toy/country club/collectors item/status symbol he can talk about with his other billionaire friends

If he cared about money, he would do whatever he could to improve the team to make that sweet playoff money, but maybe he doesn’t care about making money from the team since he’s already so filthy rich.

I just know I don’t like the guy

Reactions: A91 and Duke74

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I bet he's mad. Guy had more money than he could ever spend, so all that's left is finding ways to stroke his ego and to get his rocks off. He's a life time Oilers fan, I'm sure it annoys him he's the owner of the darkest age of the Oilers. Unfortunately, the people he chooses to take advice from in how to fix it will only ever give him terrible ideas.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The salary trimming was all hockey moves by Chia.

Katz does like money, but he also likes hockey, and he definitely would understand that if your team wins more games, you make a lot more money than penny pinching on the salary would accomplish.

It's also obvious that he is not penny pinching because he's spent so much on off-ice stuff. We went from probably dead last to middle of the pack in regard to the size of our scouting staff. We have one of the largest amateur scouting staffs. He also bought some CHL teams for scouting reasons. In many ways, Katz is a dream owner for any franchise, because he spends so much cash on the franchise and obviously does have some passion for the game. The thing is, that is no guarantee of success. Just look at Buffalo.

Last edited:

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Money, that is why the prices jumped on the 2018/19 tickets. This team is screwed for generations to come.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Since Katz is not here to speak no one can be sure what he is thinking, These posts are all conjecture. Having said that, my guess is that he does care a lot about the team and since it is making a profit every year in spite of it's dismal record, it isn't a huge priority to do things professionally right. To all fans, keeping so many of the OBC in the organization isn't good optics. Good hockey players do not necessarily make good executives, GM's or coaches. Don't know what the right solution is except to hire on merit, fired those who prove incompetent, have real accountability and gradually build an organization where all parts are proven winners. This means get rid of MacT, Lowe, Howson, Green, and Wayne. They can be put in ceremonial positions to honour their past contributions but keep them away from making or suggesting anything remotely to do with the team's performance. Only then will fans have confidence in the team again.

I am afraid this will never happen so Oiler fans have to brace continued losing or disappointing seasons.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
My impression is that he's a hardcore fan who happens to have a lot of money. Most of you I'm sure have heard about the game where he was reportedly furious and had to be convinced not to fire the coach.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
We have the worst owner really. He is a big shot, got the rink done, drafted McD, doesn't care after that. He knows the money is flowing in. He could really care less if the oilers actually win games.

He wan'ts to hob nob in LA, thats about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gone

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
"Caring" doesn't mean you get results.

I'm sure he cares. I'm also sure he doesn't know what he's doing and puts his trust into the wrong people.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I think he cares a great deal about the Oilers, but he cares more about the Oilers of his youth than the Oilers of the present.

Apathetic

Oct 29, 2010
Downtown
He cares about the oilers. He just cares more about the players he idolized when he was young and wants them to be his friend. This means having them on the payroll. Unfortunately these players happen to be incompetent at running an organization and are too arrogant to truely step aside and admit this to themselves.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Katz has been clear about willing to spend to the cap. Now I doubt he wants to waste money on buyouts or paying for former coaches or GMs but that’s just common business sense. Chia could have easily signed a few UFAs to 1 year contracts but he decided to save all that cap space for his big TDL acquisitions...

Oct 15, 2008
Katz has been clear about willing to spend to the cap. Now I doubt he wants to waste money on buyouts or paying for former coaches or GMs but that’s just common business sense. Chia could have easily signed a few UFAs to 1 year contracts but he decided to save all that cap space for his big TDL acquisitions...
Yes, because the really good ufa’s usually sign one year contracts. With the northernmost city in the league, in a Canadian market.

Reactions: Gone

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
MacT, Howson, Green, Lowe...

It's bizzare that these people still make decisions. There is no way this is Chias's or even Nicholson's first choice. That's the problem, not Katz's level of care. If anything, he cares about them too much.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I'm F!@#ing cursed....I support a Katz owned Edmonton Oilers, and Arsenals majority stakeholder is even worse with Stan Kroenke.
I just can't quit them though..:(

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
How much is he raising ticket prices next year?

Im sure there is room for another nickel to squeeze out of the fans.

Wouldn't be upset if Mcdavid took a jab at management or even Katz at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->