Does Jake Paul’s success delegitimize combat sports?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Whatever the hell this KSI shit that seems to be pretty popular is today is way more of a sideshow than Jake Paul's stuff

Reactions: OKR

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Two layers to this.

First it's just respectable to step into a combat sport ring and put your own body on the line. Even if you are annoyed by the personality doing it you can at least appreciate the courage it takes to actually do it. Punching each other in the face is the most primal form of (legal) male competition so it's always going to be a hyped up event even when the skill level isn't high.

Another, and where combat sport promoters could take some blame, is how fight promotions always focus on the "story" over the skill level of the fighters - and the story always happens to be a drummed up rivalry between the two fighters. That kind of juvenile marketing of the sport kinda leaves the door open for people of any skill level to mimic. There's no skill-based gatekeeping there because the focus is never on how skilled guys like Khabib and McGregor are, but merely how much they apparently hate each other. It's just pure marketing hype. So two internet famous guys who have the courage to step into a ring together can seize that thunder.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I don't know boxing's reputation can really be hurt any further given that it's already been obvious for a while (as in decades) that it's a racket with organized crime all over it.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I don't know boxing's reputation can really be hurt any further given that it's already been obvious for a while (as in decades) that it's a racket with organized crime all over it.
It hasn't been run by organized crime in decades, at least at the top level.

Sep 19, 2008
Jake Paul, a very strong, solid boxer, is raising eyebrows with his very good skills - - his success is the result of very hard WORK and training! It does not delegitimize anything!

You should look at the involvement of the Kinehan cartel in European boxing.
Very false, boxing has legitimate bouts between canelo and triple g. Also Tyson fury against anyone or deonte wilder, Shakur Stevenson, et al

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
You should look at the involvement of the Kinehan cartel in European boxing.
I was referring more to the American Mafia being involved. Even in Europe I don't think it's widespread. I believe Daniel Kinahan was arrested awhile back and he was likely only involved with Irish boxers for the most part. I know Fury has connections to him but none of his bouts have been rigged.

Sep 19, 2008

He quit you tubing to be a pro boxer he wants to win the 185 belt

I think he's legit especially if he beat Anderson silva next week

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
To the original question:

Not really. It underlines that if you get into combat sports, the learning curve is much steeper and faster than in almost any other skill-based sport. Which, I believe, stems from the fact that we've evolved to fight. We've been fighting for hundreds of thousands of years. There are scientists who claim that the evolutionary reason a human hand gained its shape is -- besides other, softer motoric skill requiring tasks -- it evolved to punch, no kidding.

So becoming a properly trained fighter who -- with enough dedication and certain dispositions -- can at least think about becoming pro takes only a couple of years. We have it in us.

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
OP: no (was crushed by oops ^ previous poster's ^ real-life boardname's disappearance/death)

Some good boxing on the undercard - that H2O puts on a great boxing display for a 19 year old . Serrano absolutely beat Hardy for 10 rounds straight, gotta give Hardy props for taking the full 20 minute beating: one tough woman, and Serrano looks great.

Props to Paul for easily outboxing Diaz but if he thinks he's going to be a world champion best step up the real boxing competition and figure out what weight class he thinks he could be a champ in.

Jake should fight Bivol. He's a 175 pound world champ who is 10 pounds lighter than Paul, beat Canelo, and would absolutely whip Jake's ass imo. Mind you Jake's at that weird 185 pound weight so it'd have to be a catchweight fight again.

And do that MMA match with Diaz Jake. Diaz could've had a single-leg in the first round.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Diaz will submit him if they do an MMA match.

These Paul gimmick fights don’t do much for me. Step into a real weight class against a real pro in their sport and he’s done.

I enjoyed rewatching the Crawford/Spence fight more last night…..

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
For me, Jake has actually made boxing relevant again... And also I keep tuning into WWE now too when I know Logan is wrestling.

The Paul Brothers are doing an absolutely outstanding job entertaining fans... I find them extremely entertaining and can't stop following them to see what they do next.

They are going to make an insane amount of money when it's all said and done... Nobody can trash talk what they have done so far in their lifetime.. it's very impressive

Last edited:

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
He's fighting handpicked guys that aren't even real boxers. No.

It's literally a sideshow clown act framed as boxing.
So true. Have him fight a real boxer in his weight class and put an end to this nonsense. He’s had his fifteen minutes. Take your hollow sunken methhead eyes and your crack posse and beat it. Guess we can thank Don King for exploiting the underbelly of greed in the boxing world.

Paul has no business in the game. The people that actually pay money to watch this clown are the real problem. Running the shift at the carnival on the tilt a whirl and slinging meth on the side so they can show up to a Jake Paul match in their wife beater, their Levi’s and their Daytons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad