Does getting Samsonov change Tallon's thinking onthe #1?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
IT was assumed that KANE would be his choice because of the "urgency" of getting a scorer the lineup ASAP -especially for the PP ..but now they are going to give Samsonov the chance to shine again--they got him for the PP and to be on the top line or 2nd line--nOT to be a 3rd or 4th liner--thee is now simply NO ROOM for KANE this year and the implication is that any "advantage" KANE had over TURRIS or JVR because he was "available" to step in right away (most say he is offensively ready --and he may never be much defensively anyway) --is now DELAYED AT LEAST 1 yr...

True,KANE may stillbe "readier" than TURRIS or JVR even for 2008/09 season -BUT you also have to ask -WHAT IF SAMSONOV really does the job this year?--THEN CHI will have to pay him more to keep him next year (2008/09) and beyond if it "clicks"
this year ..IN THAT CASE is there any room for another "little" winger who can't find a spot on the PP (except if they use him at the point)?
THE implication again is that CHICAGO would be going up the wrong road if they drafted kane IF SAMSONOV pans out...

They might be much better off position wise and size-wise taking either Turris or JVR
and better off cAP wise DELAYING their ETA's at least 2 yrs--since if Samsonov shines he'll get a raise next year..

In short--it hardly makes good sense to draft Kane now that the "urgency" is removed,or the Hawks to get "too small" if they did that...

BY not inserting kane NOW--the hawks also save $2.8 million on the Cap hit for inserting a 1st rounder with bonus provisions...thus the DELAY in CAP hit by opting for Turris or JVR makes a lot of financial sense too--since it allows more in the kitty for immediate VET help via UFA THIS YEAR...probably for a ufa centre in the
$2.5 to $4million range...(HANDZUS?TKACHUK? LANG?) Getting such a centre make ideal sense if they are going to DELAY the ETA of the #1 especially if it is a centre (TURRIS) ...thus depending on length of deal 2-3 yrs there is no "urgency" now regarding the #1...

To me NOW--it makes mores sense for the Hawks to take TURRIS or perhaps trade down and take JVR if PHI wants TURRIS and CHI judges that PHI's offer of the #2 +#23 is worth it to get JVR and the #23 over just TURRIS..

Anyway-- SAMSONOV could have big implications for how Tallon NOW thinks in terms of the strategy for the #1...

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'm not trying to oversimplify this too much. But it would make the most sense to draft the player who will help the team now and in the long run. It wouldn't be too smart to base any drafting on the Samsanov acquisition.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If I was the Blackhawks, I'd take VanRiemsdyk.. Or I'd move down in the draft one or two spots and still take VanRiemsdyk

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'm not trying to oversimplify this too much. But it would make the most sense to draft the player who will help the team now and in the long run. It wouldn't be too smart to base any drafting on the Samsanov acquisition.

Amen. Thank you for expressing your view in such a succinct manner. :yo:

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
Lay off the caps lock, dude. It doesn't more it more readable or highlight your points, it makes it less readable and annoying.

BuddehJuS

Nov 25, 2006
I doubt Kane makes it in the NHL next year, he'd be way more suited to spend another year in the OHL, IMO.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
If I was the Blackhawks, I'd take VanRiemsdyk.. Or I'd move down in the draft one or two spots and still take VanRiemsdyk

Why? Chicago have loads of large skilled wingers. They already have Skille, Brouwer, Bickell and Blunden. What Chicago are short on is highly skilled scoring wingers.

VladNYC*

Samsonov is a great player. Everyone forgets he won the Calder and is .74 pts per game in the 8 years he played before Montreal. Montreal is just a broken team with a dumb coach. Don't judge sammy by his performance here. He will have a very good season in Chicago with Havlat.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Sammy will be a UFA in a year, if he changes his draft startegy due to a guy like Sammy then iw ould question tallon's abilities as a GM

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Samsonov is a great player. Everyone forgets he won the Calder and is .74 pts per game in the 8 years he played before Montreal. Montreal is just a broken team with a dumb coach. Don't judge sammy by his performance here. He will have a very good season in Chicago with Havlat.

When you know nothing, you don't say a word

Simple rule. Know nothing? silence.

Sammy wasted every opportunity offered to him.

Those trying to find reasons as why Sammy failed in montreal are no better than him...you're all looking in the wrong direction. The one and only responsible person for the atrocious season is named Sergei Samsonov. He is an idiot and anyone trying to defend him is no better.

Rayne*

Those trying to find reasons as why Sammy failed in montreal are no better than him...you're all looking in the wrong direction. The one and only responsible person for the atrocious season is named Sergei Samsonov. He is an idiot and anyone trying to defend him is no better.

The only idiotic thing he said is that Montreal is a broken team, but Carbo is at least partially to blame for Sammy's horrible season. Carbo wanted defense defense defense and Sammy's a purely offensive player.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
The only idiotic thing he said is that Montreal is a broken team, but Carbo is at least partially to blame for Sammy's horrible season. Carbo wanted defense defense defense and Sammy's a purely offensive player.

How is it Carbo's fault that Samsonov cannot adapt to any situation that does not exactly fit his style?

It is normal, should be expected, and would be deceiving if not, that a team's coach has a plan for teh team and tries to get every players to play as one. IF he believes the way to go is with a more dfensive system right now, that is how he should go. It'S players job to adapt. Samsonov doesn't have this skill. I know a guy who is jsut like Samsonov, I know how they think. He wants to make himself sound as a team player and will make all the things that he thinks makes his look as a team player, but in fact he is not. All that matters is himself. He just wants to LOOK liek a team player. but he's not fooling anybody.

All in all, Carbo did a good job, thoguh he did mistakes. The mistakes he did had nothing to do to Samsonov's case, cause he did all he could in that case.

Samsonov's fault. Purely his fault. When you don't succed, you at least need to put the team before yourself and work harder to try to suceed.. Did Samsonov do that? No. All that he cares about his himself.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
How is it Carbo's fault that Samsonov cannot adapt to any situation that does not exactly fit his style?

It is normal, should be expected, and would be deceiving if not, that a team's coach has a plan for teh team and tries to get every players to play as one. IF he believes the way to go is with a more dfensive system right now, that is how he should go. It'S players job to adapt. Samsonov doesn't have this skill. I know a guy who is jsut like Samsonov, I know how they think. He wants to make himself sound as a team player and will make all the things that he thinks makes his look as a team player, but in fact he is not. All that matters is himself. He just wants to LOOK liek a team player. but he's not fooling anybody.

All in all, Carbo did a good job, thoguh he did mistakes. The mistakes he did had nothing to do to Samsonov's case, cause he did all he could in that case.

Samsonov's fault. Purely his fault. When you don't succed, you at least need to put the team before yourself and work harder to try to suceed.. Did Samsonov do that? No. All that he cares about his himself.

Yeah, I hate my cat because she can't act like a dog. I don't know why I told my parents to get me a cat, in hopes I could teach it to be a dog.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You don't use the draft to address immediate needs.

If this changes Tallon's thinking he should be fired.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Yeah, I hate my cat because she can't act like a dog. I don't know why I told my parents to get me a cat, in hopes I could teach it to be a dog.

haha ;) funny.

However, this point you are making says that Gainey did a mistake...not carbo. And it was against carbo, the dude was trash talking.

Also, my point was not for him to become a defensive forward, but rather to enter the system. Koivu entered the system and does well, kovalev entered the system and did well(apart from this year), Ryder entered the system and does well(apart from his atrocious +/-), higgins fits the system perfectly. Seriously, even if samsonov did well this year, would you prefer higgins or samsonov?

I prefer building a system where higgins fits in good than samsonov.

As for Gainey signing Samsonov, it was clearly a desperate move cause he lost on Elias and Shanahan. Thought he would do well with kovalev..

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The answer to this question is very simple: If he does, he should be fired.

Seriously, when making any pick in the first few rounds, especially the #1 overall pick, you pick the guy who you think is going to turn into the best player.

VladNYC*

I'll be silent when you guys can get into the playoffs and when you start drafting and trading for players that actually fit your system and find a way to use your superstars. The Habs are a JOKE, Carbs is a joke and so are you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->