Does Dubas have the power to make a coaching change?

Does Dubas have the power to make a coaching change?

• Total voters

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
Shanny's 49 and has been President of the Leafs for 4 years now. He's paid a ton.
Babs is 55 and has been Leafs head coach for 3 years now. He's paid a ton, more than any coach in history by about 3 times.
Dubas is 32 and has been Leafs GM for about a day now. I have no idea what he's paid, but Lou was getting about 1/3 of what Babs is getting, and there's no way Dubas is getting that.

So.... there's your top 3 management team at the Leafs. There is absolutely no way the newest, youngest, least experience, cheapest guy on the team gets to fire Babs. No way.

IF by some chance we go out in the 1st round for the next 5 years all 3 guys would be in serious job trouble. Dubas might be the one to get canned first in that scenario.

Whatever happens, this is, was, and will continue to be Shanny's show. Babs and Dubas will stay or go on Shanny's call.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
According to Dubas’ interviews babcocks zest for life and love for hockey (Dubas said it’s a sickness but used it in a positive manner) is misconstrued as “ego” whether Dubas was honest or trying to keep things light is to be seen.

IMO in a results driven business (like any business) results would drive any decisions.

If Babcock is stubborn to do things his way but achieves results there is no reason for Dubas to question Babcock (results means long term sustained success and improvements and more than one shot at the cup)

If there are no results and Babcock is stubborn in his ways then either Babcock becomes more open minded and open to change or there would be a change in the position of the head coach

You're thinking the reporting structure is such that Babs reports into Dubas. MLSE isn't set up that way.

No different than The Raps office assistant that they call a GM didn't make the call to fire Casey. It was done by Ujiri. Well, actually the Board, but Masai knew it was him or Dwayne.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Money is irrelevant for MLSE, so firing Babcock is doable.

Why anyone would be stupid enough to do that is something to wonder at.

It would be catastrophic to think Babcock is a bad coach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CanadasTeam

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Dubas can’t fire babcock, just like Lou Lamoriello couldn’t even if he had a 10 year contract still couldn’t fire babcock. That’s not how Mlse works. A decision like that has to go through shanny and even the board.

It makes me laugh how many threads and posters we have already trying to discredit dubas. He probably hasn’t even sat down at his desk yet and there is a vocal minority against him.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It makes me laugh how many threads and posters we have already trying to discredit dubas. He probably hasn’t even sat down at his desk yet and there is a vocal minority against him.
Yeah. There's quite a few posters that have shown they will cling on to any narrative they can find to bring him down, ignoring people who point out some misconceptions in the process.

Why on earth anyone would want the GM of their favorite team to be in over his head and fail is beyond me.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Shanny's 49 and has been President of the Leafs for 4 years now. He's paid a ton.
Babs is 55 and has been Leafs head coach for 3 years now. He's paid a ton, more than any coach in history by about 3 times.
Dubas is 32 and has been Leafs GM for about a day now. I have no idea what he's paid, but Lou was getting about 1/3 of what Babs is getting, and there's no way Dubas is getting that.

So.... there's your top 3 management team at the Leafs. There is absolutely no way the newest, youngest, least experience, cheapest guy on the team gets to fire Babs. No way.

IF by some chance we go out in the 1st round for the next 5 years all 3 guys would be in serious job trouble. Dubas might be the one to get canned first in that scenario.

Whatever happens, this is, was, and will continue to be Shanny's show. Babs and Dubas will stay or go on Shanny's call.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Doesnt claude julian make 5 mill a year and joel quennville about that also .
?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Dave Feschuk: The headaches might just be beginning for Leafs president Brendan Shanahan

Article is by Feschuk so take it with a grain of salt. Feschuk is after all a grade 1 POS and an absolute moron

some blurbs from the article:
Paraphrasing

- Shanahan's headache going to get bigger as Babcock and Dubas may clash and he will have to play mediator

- Babcock forced Lou to sign Matt Martin

- Hunter was more closer to Lou than Dubas; Hunter has not responded to requests on commenting on him not getting GM duty

-

Reactions: Crysis

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
No Dubas might have the GM title he is NOT Mike Babcock boss, said it before he can try to establish authority over Babcock but if he does Babcock can tell him to f*** off, and Dubas will do NOTHING about it, because at the at the end of the one guy is Mike Babcock, the other is Kyle Dubas, these 2 things are not the same.

Reactions: Leafblooded

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If anyone doesn't think a decision this major doesn't go to Ralph Natale and George Cope probably don't have a solid grasp of internal politics. Especially when dealing with 2 publically traded companies and a contract with 30 million left on it. Any case to fire Babcock with that much money left on his deal has to go to the MLSE board. I'm not even sure if Friisdahl could unilaterally make this decision and that is Shanahan's boss.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Do you guys think Dubas actually has the power to fire Babcock?
If not then he's not a true GM as far as I'm concerned. The coach can't have more power than the GM in any successful team. GM's typically like to bring in their own coach as well. If they don't make it to the second round next year I think Babcock's job will be in jeopardy.

A lot of people have claimed Babcock got out coached, he hasn't won a round in the playoffs in x number of years, 8 or 9 I think? Albeit the wings took a huge nose dive talent wise once Lidstrom retired(OBVIOUSLY.) but still not a good stat to have on your resume. Overplaying Anderson even though a playoff spot was locked up is another thing people have doubts about...the use of Leivo, etc.

The possible power struggle within the organization combined with the rumored rift between Babs and Matthews should make things very interesting moving forward. As much as Babcock has helped the rebuild I'm not convinced he's the coach to take the team to the top. Babcock may be too old school for this era. He's very hard on his players, does that work nowadays?

I'd prefer Dubas to have full autonomy to make a coaching change if he sees fit but I don't think that's the case.
No. Why would you think that? The Leafs organization is a PR club and Babcock is a recognizable name and has a pedigree. Even though he hasn't won anything of note (in the playoffs) for the last 7 or 8 yrs, he is staying for the duration of his contract.

Dubas is yet another 'figurehead' that the Leafs are putting out there for everyone to talk about. The guy has little management experience at the pro/NHL level yet he is hired. Another thing that fans can talk about and the controversy helps to get people 'yapping' and 'checking things out.' Maybe, they'll raise tix prices again this year...

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
No. Why would you think that? The Leafs organization is a PR club and Babcock is a recognizable name and has a pedigree. Even though he hasn't won anything of note (in the playoffs) for the last 7 or 8 yrs, he is staying for the duration of his contract.

Dubas is yet another 'figurehead' that the Leafs are putting out there for everyone to talk about. The guy has little management experience at the pro/NHL level yet he is hired. Another thing that fans can talk about and the controversy helps to get people 'yapping' and 'checking things out.' Maybe, they'll raise tix prices again this year...
You think Dubas was hired so that Leafs fans and the media would have something to talk about?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

You knew for over 3 years Dubas was going to be the next GM. What has experience done for the Leafs? Burke and Nonis were disasters.

Mar 26, 2010
Babcock needs to adapt. The fact that 2008 was 10 years ago and the NHL has changed.

He will not be fired under any circumstances at this point. He has the safest coaching job in the NHL. Even if the Leafs miss the playoffs the next 3 years in a row, he will still not be fired.

KIWILEAFFAN

Dec 28, 2011
New Zealand
Babcock needs to adapt. The fact that 2008 was 10 years ago and the NHL has changed.

He will not be fired under any circumstances at this point. He has the safest coaching job in the NHL. Even if the Leafs miss the playoffs the next 3 years in a row, he will still not be fired.
I like and rate Babcock highly.
But if he misses the playoffs for the next 3 years he will definitely be replaced.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
You knew for over 3 years Dubas was going to be the next GM. What has experience done for the Leafs? Burke and Nonis were disasters.
No one knew that. What source have you given that indicated the Leafs were planning on hiring Dubas? It was between Dubas and Hunter until the hire.

Yes, those two were disasters, so what? Most recent management by the Leafs have been disasters although LL wasn't too bad. The Leafs somewhat cleaned house but their D is the same below-average group and the team relies too much on goaltending with regular season play being as good as they get.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
No one knew that. What source have you given that indicated the Leafs were planning on hiring Dubas? It was between Dubas and Hunter until the hire.

Yes, those two were disasters, so what? Most recent management by the Leafs have been disasters although LL wasn't too bad. The Leafs somewhat cleaned house but their D is the same below-average group and the team relies too much on goaltending with regular season play being as good as they get.
The writing was on the wall the second Dubas was hired.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
You're thinking the reporting structure is such that Babs reports into Dubas. MLSE isn't set up that way.

No different than The Raps office assistant that they call a GM didn't make the call to fire Casey. It was done by Ujiri. Well, actually the Board, but Masai knew it was him or Dwayne.

I think the Raps are a bit different though in that Masai is basically President and GM in practice.

Shanahan certainly doesn’t seem to be as involved in the day to day as Masai is. This is key because I think Shanahan can hold a Lou or Dubas now accountable in a way that Masai can’t hold Bobby Webster

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I only care if Dubas has the power to put together a team that can contend for the next 10-15 (or more) years.
Put together a team that has a solid pipeline so it's a constant revolving door of quality players.
Matthews and the boys aren't going to stay young forever, you don't want the days of Sundin and company retire/leave and you suck for 10 years. So put it together with Matthews and keep it strong for the future.
Coaching issue is so far down the list of anything important that needs to be addressed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->