mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
"In the U.S., NHL CENTER ICE subscribers have already seen
the World Junior Championships, the Heritage Classic from Edmonton,
the AHL All-Star Game, the ECHL All-Star Game
and many more great games and programs."

That's a quote from the ad. It's from last year.

Lanny MacDonald*

gerbilanium said:
I stole this from LM. Check out that they have all of a sudden offered a half season Center Ice deal?

hmmm

Order now and take advantage of a special half season offer!

http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/centerice/

What's LM?

And that has changed. They were linked through to nhlcbanews.com here a while ago. Interesting they should be talking half a season.

JRgavemeaNTC

Jan 6, 2005
Raleigh
Cut and paste from Directv.com. Not very up to date.

Labor Negotiations
For more information on the progress of the current NHL labor negotiations, click here.

Current Offer
Pricing information for NHL® CENTER ICE® is not available at this time.

How To Order
If you are already a DIRECTV customer, click here to sign in to order online or call 1-800-GET-SPORTS.

Q: Work Stoppage Information
A: *The NHL and NHL Players' Association are working on a new Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA). The current CBA expires Sep 15, 2004.

For more information on the progress of the current NHL labor negotiations, click here.

*Without an agreement, the start of the 2004-2005 NHL season could be delayed.

Q: Will there be a work stoppage?
A: We won't know for sure until the current Collective Bargaining Agreement expires on Sep 15, 2004. The league and the Players' Association are meeting regularly to work out a new agreement, and we're hopeful that a full NHL season will be played this year.

Nimrods Son

If you do get Centre Ice, do they black out games in your area? What about when the team plays on the road?

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Nimrods Son said:
If you do get Centre Ice, do they black out games in your area? What about when the team plays on the road?

If you get Centre Ice, the games in your area will be blacked out, and shown on your regular station that carries the games. But you will get every other game every night in the NHL as long as one network has it on television.

For example, I live in Vancouver, the usual station that carries Canucks games are CBC, Sportsnet, or rarely TSN.

So if a Canucks game is on, in the Lower Mainland area we will only be able to catch the Canucks game on their carrier station(SNET,CBC, or TSN) but every other game involving any other team will be available on Centre Ice. It's really worth it, sometimes after school its just good to have a beer and watch some hockey.

EDIT: This includes when your team plays on the road, the games of your home team, will be shown on their carrier station.

two out of three*

mudcrutch79 said:
"In the U.S., NHL CENTER ICE subscribers have already seen
the World Junior Championships, the Heritage Classic from Edmonton,
the AHL All-Star Game, the ECHL All-Star Game
and many more great games and programs."

That's a quote from the ad. It's from last year.

They showed those on Center Ice? Crap.. I missed it.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
If there is NHL hockey this season, Center Ice should be free or verrrry cheap to woo NHL fans back.

Needless to say, if there is hockey, I won't be subscribing (unless it is free or verrrrrrry cheap).

YellHockey*

The Iconoclast said:
What's LM?

That's for "Lanny MacDonald".

You know. The name you used to use here and the name you use elsewhere.

Nimrods Son

Thanks struckmatch, but a few more questions.

How far away from your "hometown" team do you have to be in order to get the games? The reason I ask is that most Flames games are not available to watch on TV. Sportsnet carries some games, TSN a handful and of course CBC sometimes also. However, sometimes the game is at the Saddledome and is not shown on any type of TV here in Calgary eg. Calgary hosts Boston, the game is not on Calgary TV of any kind but is on Bruins TV (NESN). Will I be able to tune into this game on Centre Ice or does it black it out to encourage me to pay to see the game live? Not much point in paying for this service if I can't get to see my own team play. What about when they are on the road and the game is not on local TV, do they black out the road teams TV station to encourage me to go to a bar and pay money to watch the game via satellite? Thanks for your response, I really appreciate it.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
littleHossa said:
Yes Center Ice knows everything, it's part of the big conspiracy.

I KNEW IT! Ive been saying that for YEARS! They knew Tampa would win the cup back in APRIL as well! They spoiled it via e-mail with this quote: "Watch Tampa take on top teams in the NHL to there quest to win LORD STANLEYS CUP!" :eek: :eek:

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Nimrods Son said:

I live in Montreal and didn't see a single Montreal game on that worthless centre ice package.. I'm never, ever going to subscribe again.. even if they DO start showing the Habs games.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
littleHossa said:
Yes Center Ice knows everything, it's part of the big conspiracy.
I was thinking the same thing. Yoda is involved with center ice but they do not want anyone to discov---------------------------------------....................

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Nimrods Son said:
Thanks struckmatch, but a few more questions.

How far away from your "hometown" team do you have to be in order to get the games? The reason I ask is that most Flames games are not available to watch on TV. Sportsnet carries some games, TSN a handful and of course CBC sometimes also. However, sometimes the game is at the Saddledome and is not shown on any type of TV here in Calgary eg. Calgary hosts Boston, the game is not on Calgary TV of any kind but is on Bruins TV (NESN). Will I be able to tune into this game on Centre Ice or does it black it out to encourage me to pay to see the game live? Not much point in paying for this service if I can't get to see my own team play. What about when they are on the road and the game is not on local TV, do they black out the road teams TV station to encourage me to go to a bar and pay money to watch the game via satellite? Thanks for your response, I really appreciate it.
I had centerice.

If the Preds were home/away and on local TV: Blacked out on CenterIce here and shown on local TV Channel in Nashville.

If there was no local broadcast of the Preds road game, then the other team's broadcast was shown on centerice. (So for Calgary at Boston, since there was no Calgary broadcast, the Boston feed would be shown on CenterIce and shouldn't be blacked out for you. This is how it worked for me.)

I don't know what they did if there was no local broadcast for a home Preds game though since I was at the games and most were on TV locally. But I'm pretty sure they were still blacked out on CenterIce.

I'm a Pens fan too, but live in Nashville and like to watch their games. All the Penguins games were shown on Centerice here. It's just up to the Centerice people as to whether I got the Pens broadcast or their opponent's broadcast that night.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Habs13 said:
I live in Montreal and didn't see a single Montreal game on that worthless centre ice package.. I'm never, ever going to subscribe again.. even if they DO start showing the Habs games.
Just get RDS and you will see every game...

Strazzobosco

Dec 6, 2004
Fairfax, VA
spank303 said:
I had centerice.

If the Preds were home/away and on local TV: Blacked out on CenterIce here and shown on local TV Channel in Nashville.

If there was no local broadcast of the Preds road game, then the other team's broadcast was shown on centerice. (So for Calgary at Boston, since there was no Calgary broadcast, the Boston feed would be shown on CenterIce and shouldn't be blacked out for you. This is how it worked for me.)

I don't know what they did if there was no local broadcast for a home Preds game though since I was at the games and most were on TV locally. But I'm pretty sure they were still blacked out on CenterIce.

I'm a Pens fan too, but live in Nashville and like to watch their games. All the Penguins games were shown on Centerice here. It's just up to the Centerice people as to whether I got the Pens broadcast or their opponent's broadcast that night.

I had Center Ice too! What I loved about it is that they usually forgot to black things out (it IS Buffalo afterall!) So I got to CHOOSE whose commentators I wanted for some games... of which; Buffalo's commentators are the most colourful ones I have ever heard.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Worth every penny IMO .

pretty much got 99% of all islanders games the past 5 years

I think the people who get screwed are the ones whose teams dont televise all their games .C-Ice should bend the blackout rules in some cases

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Isles72 said:
Worth every penny IMO .

No doubt. Im watching 1-2 games a night with it (7:00 game then a 9:00 or 10:30 game), all playoff games. It great. Thats pretty much the only channel I got on all season long. Wish the NHL would put an NHL channel on for the States...I know canada has one.

regdunlap7

Sep 28, 2003
lowell, ma
Visit site
The thing that I never understood with Center Ice is the commercial situation. On some games you see the commercials just as someone watching in that local area would see them (I'm in Mass. but if I was watching a Maple Leafs game I'd see commercials for Tim Horton and Canadian Tire) BUT...

other times there wouldn't be ANY commercials. Instead we'd get the satellite feed of the arena during the time out with the commentators just shooting the breeze with each other or drinking coffee. I could never figure out why some games would have commercials and others wouldn't.

Briannj1970

Jan 15, 2005
regdunlap7 said:
The thing that I never understood with Center Ice is the commercial situation. On some games you see the commercials just as someone watching in that local area would see them (I'm in Mass. but if I was watching a Maple Leafs game I'd see commercials for Tim Horton and Canadian Tire) BUT...

other times there wouldn't be ANY commercials. Instead we'd get the satellite feed of the arena during the time out with the commentators just shooting the breeze with each other or drinking coffee. I could never figure out why some games would have commercials and others wouldn't.

That may be more to do with the advertising on the local over-the-air stations as opposed to a nationally televised game in Canada or a cable game in the US. Not exactly sure how it really breaks down but I remember hearing that it went something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad