Does Canadian Olympic team need Crosby ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
As far as I know, he can stil be selected, we may need him...

19 goals in last 27 games (51 goal pace, not bad), plus here is the complete list of Canadian players who are leading Crosby in goals scored:

Gagne
Staal
Heatley

JWINK19

southern Devils fan
Dec 31, 2005
Wilmington, NC
Crosby will get his turn in 2010. The Canadians don't need half the guys they're bringing, much less Sid the Kid. Anything less than gold is a complete failure for Canada.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I don't think he's ready.
fair choice not to put him on the team. let him get some experience and maturity. See how he does at the world championships the next couple of years.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Tjardus Greidanus said:
Have you not watched him this year? :dunno:

As an 18 year-old he's playing better than anyone since Mario's comeback season for the Pens.

better than anyone? or anyone on pittsburg? I and many other people can list many players who have done better than crosby is right now. since the mario comeback year.

besides, It's about more than scoring. can he take a different role with the team? is he able, is he mature enough?
is his defense good enough? will he sacrifice enough? can he handle the pressure of this kind of stage?
I don't think the kid, however talented, who has always been the "big man", the star, is experienced or rounded enough to play at the olympics.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
oh, and before you assume, I'm not a crosby hater. I think he has tons of talent and will be a great player in the years to come, but this is not yet his time.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
No, Canada definetly doesn't need Crosby in the slightest, Canada has tons of talent, and Crosby is still a kid.

Frankly, I'm a huge Crosby fan, but he's not ready yet.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I agree that other players deserve a spot over Crosby for several reasons, like career performance, Olympic/WC experience, role-filling (...Draper), and even age prioritization.

But if Crosby was named to the team, I assure you, he would be ready.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Crosby's role on the team isn't what team canada would need from him. He wouldn't be playing top 6 minutes, and he wouldn't be on the PK. The role he would play, the position he'd be slotted into is already being filled.

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
MattyMurp said:
what for? they already have Draper ;)

I'd much rather have Draper killing penalties than Crosby, so unless Canada plans to play a passive game to take no penatlies I'd rather have Draper on the team.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Now that he's back to his center position and playing on a team that has an NHL caliber coach(and a bunch of AHL callups who are better than the big name overpaid underperforming veterans they had)he is scoring more than ANY other Canadian player.He is the biggest thing in hockey and he's not going to the Olympics,what a shame.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Nah. Crosby is useless.

But Gretzky will rue the day he left Savard off the roster.

:sarcasm:

Coburnfan05

Feb 20, 2004
SOB Southern Ontario
kytem2 said:
As far as I know, he can stil be selected, we may need him...

19 goals in last 27 games (51 goal pace, not bad), plus here is the complete list of Canadian players who are leading Crosby in goals scored:

Gagne
Staal
Heatley

Simply...NO.

He is a kid and there are other players who have proven themselves who deserve a shot before him.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
No.

Can he play solid defense in his own zone, instead of looking to create offense? Possibly.

Can he kill penalties? No.

Is he better than a few players left off the roster as it is now? All signs point to no.

NO NO NO.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Gord said:
better than anyone? or anyone on pittsburg? I and many other people can list many players who have done better than crosby is right now. since the mario comeback year.

besides, It's about more than scoring. can he take a different role with the team? is he able, is he mature enough?
is his defense good enough? will he sacrifice enough? can he handle the pressure of this kind of stage?
I don't think the kid, however talented, who has always been the "big man", the star, is experienced or rounded enough to play at the olympics.

This is the only question where he is at least on par with the rest of the team. His defence is solid. NHL solid. Is it Team Canada solid?

That is the only legitimate question IMO. Obviously he is not ready for Draper's role. How many on the team are? (3 or 4?)
He can handle pressure better than most on the team. The only question is can he play defensively at a level required as a top 6 forward?

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Crosbyfan said:
This is the only question where he is at least on par with the rest of the team. His defence is solid. NHL solid. Is it Team Canada solid?

That is the only legitimate question IMO. Obviously he is not ready for Draper's role. How many on the team are? (3 or 4?)
He can handle pressure better than most on the team. The only question is can he play defensively at a level required as a top 6 forward?

His defense is solid? NHL Solid? what games have you watched? He plays a good offensive role, but backchecking, covering his man, playing physical in his own zone, and just playing the pass is still in question. Not to mention his ability in reading and reacting against players with many years of more experience. If anything, yes, a good offense makes up for defensive work, but no one with any resemblence of an objective viewpoint would say right now he is a solid defensive forward in the NHL. I'm sorry, he isn't. Period. Give him a few years, sure, but right now, no. To suggest he could be decent in a defensive role on Team Canada is laughable.

I also don't feel he is any better at handling pressure. He doesn't have the international experience a lot of the players on that team already have. Sure he has played in Junior Tournaments, and had a lot of pressure on him throughout his young career, but his Olympic Experience and in Major tournies with this caliber of opponent is slim at best.

Additionally, the argument isn't whether or not he plays good enough defense in a top 6 position, it is whether or not he plays well enough to earn a spot on the 3rd or 4th line. I say that because he hasn't done enough offensively to warrant a spot on those top two lines. Other players have earned those spots above him, maybe not because of long range potential, but because of ability currently. Everyone who has ever seen Crosby knows he has enough defense to play on a top line role, because lets face it, a lot of snipers and playmakers in the league barely enter their zone. The question is, realizing he isn't good enough right now to make it as a top 6 player, does he add enough to make it on the 3rd or 4th line? The simple answer is no. NO. NO, and once again no.

The question isn't how good he is in a top 6 role, is does he deserve to be on the team in some capacity?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The only reason to give him a slot would be experience for the next 4 Olympics he likely will be in for you all. Malkin and AO are getting their feet wet for Russia this year, it would not hurt Canada to get Crosby that experience too. Though it will not set him back terribly much not to have it either. And as has been said before, Canada is hardly lacking in scoring. The counter to the positive is that he would bring a media circus with him that might not be what the team wants to offset that good thing that having him on the team would do.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Jaded-Fan said:
The only reason to give him a slot would be experience for the next 4 Olympics he likely will be in for you all. Malkin and AO are getting their feet wet for Russia this year, it would not hurt Canada to get Crosby that experience too. Though it will not set him back terribly much not to have it either. And as has been said before, Canada is hardly lacking in scoring. The counter to the positive is that he would bring a media circus with him that might not be what the team wants to offset that good thing that having him on the team would do.

Canada would never prep a guy for a future tournament, you go with the best guys at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad