Does anyone think Eric Staal is very similar to Vinny Lecavalier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sticky*

I was just wondering this since I am very familiar with Staal, and after watching Lecavalier perform in these playoffs, he reminds me of ERic Staal quite a bit. Or vice-versa.

Both are big rangy centerman with long reaches. They look very similar when they skate, both are defensively responsible, great hands and vision. I just see a lot of similarities to each other.

Any responses?

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Sticky said:
I was just wondering this since I am very familiar with Staal, and after watching Lecavalier perform in these playoffs, he reminds me of ERic Staal quite a bit. Or vice-versa.

Both are big rangy centerman with long reaches. They look very similar when they skate, both are defensively responsible, great hands and vision. I just see a lot of similarities to each other.

Any responses?
I don't think they are similar. I think Staal still needs to grow into his body. When he does that, he will be more of a Power Forward, which IMO, Lecavalier is not.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Epsilon said:
Staal IMO has less natural talent and ability to dominate a game, but will be more consistent than Lecavalier.

Staal is awesome... But the sporadic flashes of divinity that Lecavalier shows are far more than what Staal will do, IMO.

I may overrate Lecavalier, but some things he does stupify me. He is, IMO, tied for most creative player along with Datsyuk.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
i don't think staal quite has lecavalier's talent. based on talent alone, lecavalier may be top 3 in the league.

Prucha73

I think Lecavalier was a lot stronger than Staal at that age.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Dark Metamorphosis said:
i don't think staal quite has lecavalier's talent. based on talent alone, lecavalier may be top 3 in the league.

The only guy who I would definitely say is more naturally talented is Kovalchuk. Lecavalier would be a contender for #2 along with Bouwmeester, Fleury, Lehtonen, etc.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Epsilon said:
The only guy who I would definitely say is more naturally talented is Kovalchuk. Lecavalier would be a contender for #2 along with Bouwmeester, Fleury, Lehtonen, etc.

BOUWMEESTER?! FLEURY?! LEHTONEN?! Don't get me wrong, they're future superstars, but we're talking top 3 in the NHL, not top 3 PROSPECTS!

I think it's St. Louis, Sakic, Kovalchuk, Brodeur, Lidstrom, Lecavalier, Jagr, Fedorov, Khabibulin, Nash

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
BobMarleyNYR said:
BOUWMEESTER?! FLEURY?! LEHTONEN?! Don't get me wrong, they're future superstars, but we're talking top 3 in the NHL, not top 3 PROSPECTS!

I think it's St. Louis, Sakic, Kovalchuk, Brodeur, Lidstrom, Lecavalier, Jagr, Fedorov, Khabibulin, Nash

Sorry, I was talking only younger players. If we are going NHL-wide then things change rapidly.

BTW, I don't think Nash would rank THAT high on pure talent. Certainly not at the level of guys like Lecavalier and Kovalchuk.

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Epsilon said:
Sorry, I was talking only younger players. If we are going NHL-wide then things change rapidly.

BTW, I don't think Nash would rank THAT high on pure talent. Certainly not at the level of guys like Lecavalier and Kovalchuk.
Nash got 41 goals when he was still eligible for the WJC. Anyone who leads the league in goals at that age has plenty of natural talent. Scoring 2 foot goals is a talent.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Epsilon said:

Yeah, I suck at top-10's...

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
Talent:

1-Jagr
2-Lidstrom
3-Kovalchuk
4-Pavel Bure(hey..your saying on talent only..)
5-Brodeur
6-Fedorov
7-....There are a few more pple ahead of Lecavalier.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
BobMarleyNYR said:
Staal is awesome... But the sporadic flashes of divinity that Lecavalier shows are far more than what Staal will do, IMO.

I may overrate Lecavalier, but some things he does stupify me. He is, IMO, tied for most creative player along with Datsyuk.

You may overrate vinny, join the club, I'm notorious at doing that as he is my fav player of all-time. But here Vinny definitely is better offensively, more flashy and is probably more physical, his form right now he is definitely more physical. Staal is a great player, but offensively and in terms of dominating games he is behind vinnys tier.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I would have to say myself that Lecavalier is my favorite player in the NHL right now and that I think he has top 5 skill in the league. Not TOO MANY show his creative skill and be able to pull it off as well.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
I think I can see where you're coming from as far as comparing LeCavalier and Staal, but I agree with most everyone else here...I don't think Staal has the natural ability that Vinny has or that unnameable "special" quality.

IMO, I think O'Sullivan is more comparable to LeCavalier...but, maybe thats just me...

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Leafaholix said:
On pure talent alone, I'd rank Alexei Kovalev in the top 3.

Several people (including hockey players) would agree with you. I'm not so sure, but he is *definitly* in the high end of pure talents. But I can't fit him in a top 3.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Actually, I see the comparison, except I see Staal as more of a playmaker than Lecavalier as a scorer.

But those who underrate Staal are going to have it come back and bite them in the rear next year. Next year, Staal is going to be one of the most hyped guys on this board, mark my words.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Mizral said:
Actually, I see the comparison, except I see Staal as more of a playmaker than Lecavalier as a scorer.

But those who underrate Staal are going to have it come back and bite them in the rear next year. Next year, Staal is going to be one of the most hyped guys on this board, mark my words.
I think that Staal is a few notches below a franchise player, which is quite good. I think that he has amazing potential, and will be a guy to watch out for once he adds some more weight.

Sticky*

Mizral said:

I agree. Staal seems to be vastly underated. He is really a trememndous talent with an intense love for the game. I think many of you will be suprised at what he accomplishes.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Staal is vastly underrated due to the fact that he plays for Carolina as well. That's not an accusation, it's just simple logic. People tend to get more attached to the prospects that they see quite a bit of and that are more flashy. Staal is low-key as well as being in a market that doesn't traditionally embrace hockey. The combination nearly kills any hype that possible developed during his draft year. The "Special" thing he's missing is respect as one of the top young players in the game. It's not about his skill level, it's about his hype level. Staal was probably the most impressive rookie this entire year in the first quarter of the season, and nobody seemed to notice. He scored 7 goals in his first 7 NHL games during the preseason and nobody made so much as a peep about it on these boards. He led the entire NHL with that total and still didn't get much recognition. The differance between Eric Staal and Vincent Lecavalier is the fact that Lecavalier was hyped coming into the league as the Michael Jordan of hockey and it made people pay attention. Staal wasn't taken 1st overall and didn't recieve near the amount of hype that Lecavlier did.

I've made the Eric Staal to Vincent Lecavalier comparison before, and after seeing this entire year play out i've backed off of that one a little. Staal to me plays more like Roenick used to when he was really young, minus the extreme physical element. Once Staal fills out his frame, he could add the physical element that his game is missing and be a mixture of Roenick and Joe Thornton. That's pretty special company. His understanding of the game is just phenomenal and his work ethic is just amazing, and that makes him the safest prospect i've seen come out in the past few years. He has the work ethic of a role player with the skill level of a star, and that is a combination that is going to take him far.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
can't see Staal dropping the gloves with someone like Iginla...but maybe in a few years he will add that physical element to his game.

Sticky*

He's definitely not a fighter. I actually don't think he dropped the mits once in his 3yrs in the OHL, but don't be mistaken, he is not soft or scared. He just doesn't have to fight. But he is not afraid of traffic or contact.

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
Leafaholix said:
On pure talent alone, I'd rank Alexei Kovalev in the top 3.

Vlad The Impaler said:
Several people (including hockey players) would agree with you. I'm not so sure, but he is *definitly* in the high end of pure talents. But I can't fit him in a top 3.

Finally some love. If your talking pure talent, Kovalev has to be mentioned along with your Datsyuk's, Kovalchuk's, Naslund's, Lecaviler's, etc. Not many guys can dangle like Kovalev.

TMLFan4ever

Mar 13, 2004
Peterborough, ON
Caniacforever said:
Staal is vastly underrated due to the fact that he plays for Carolina as well. That's not an accusation, it's just simple logic. People tend to get more attached to the prospects that they see quite a bit of and that are more flashy. Staal is low-key as well as being in a market that doesn't traditionally embrace hockey. The combination nearly kills any hype that possible developed during his draft year. The "Special" thing he's missing is respect as one of the top young players in the game. It's not about his skill level, it's about his hype level. Staal was probably the most impressive rookie this entire year in the first quarter of the season, and nobody seemed to notice. He scored 7 goals in his first 7 NHL games during the preseason and nobody made so much as a peep about it on these boards. He led the entire NHL with that total and still didn't get much recognition. The differance between Eric Staal and Vincent Lecavalier is the fact that Lecavalier was hyped coming into the league as the Michael Jordan of hockey and it made people pay attention. Staal wasn't taken 1st overall and didn't recieve near the amount of hype that Lecavlier did.

I've made the Eric Staal to Vincent Lecavalier comparison before, and after seeing this entire year play out i've backed off of that one a little. Staal to me plays more like Roenick used to when he was really young, minus the extreme physical element. Once Staal fills out his frame, he could add the physical element that his game is missing and be a mixture of Roenick and Joe Thornton. That's pretty special company. His understanding of the game is just phenomenal and his work ethic is just amazing, and that makes him the safest prospect i've seen come out in the past few years. He has the work ethic of a role player with the skill level of a star, and that is a combination that is going to take him far.

^ :yo: ^

Staal won't be as flashy of a scorer as LeCavalier, but he's still a strong point producer. As Sticky said, Staal's not a fighter, but he's by no means a pushover. He can play a pretty physical game, without taking stupid liberties and stupid penalties. He was a tremendous leader and could change the game in an instant while he was with the Petes. I think he needs to grow up a little, fill in his frame, and get completely acustomed to the NHL before he can show all he can be. Playing for the 'canes doesn't help him much getting any attention from the rest of the league - but Staal's great. Maybe not Vinny-great, but he's an awesome player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad