Does anyone remember this strange set of trades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I don't remember this, but it seems pretty funny:

June 15, 1992: WIN trades Stephane Beauregard to BUF for Christian Ruuttu and future considerations.

August 7, 1992: BUF trades Stephane Beauregard to CHI for Dominik Hasek and future considerations.

August 10, 1992: CHI trades Stephane Beauregard to WIN for Christian Ruuttu.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Almost as good as the following, which lead to a change in the waiver draft rules;

9/28/89 Flyers trade Pete Peeters and Keith Acton to Winnipeg for futures

10/3/89 Winnipeg trades Pete Peters and Keith Acton to the Flyers for a 1991 5th round pick & futures (cancellation of futures from a trade on 7/21/89)

acr*

This may be off topic, as it happened in baseball, but in 1992 the Expos traded Archie Corbin to Milwaukee for a player to be named later, and three months later, the Brewers sent him back to Montreal as the player to be named later...lol

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Phil said:
Weren't Shawn MacEachern and Marty McSorley traded for each other twice in the same season? Pittsburgh and LA, if I remember correctly.

First trade was in summer 1993 and other during 1993-94.

Dean McAmmond was suspensed for late season 2002-03 because Calgary broke transfer rules, trading McAmmond to Colorado before the season (there were couple of other players in that deal, Morris and Drury for example)

But what about these:

Look how Randy Wood and Benoit Hogue are involved

October 25, 1991
NY Islanders traded Pat Lafontaine, Randy Hillier and Randy Wood and 4th round pick in 1992 Entry Draft to Buffalo for Pierre Turgeon, Uwe Krupp, Benoit Hogue and Dave McLllwain.

January 18, 1995
In the Waiver Draft, Toronto claimed Randy Wood from Buffalo.

April 6, 1995
NY islanders traded Benoit Hogue, 3rd round pick in 1995 and 5th round pick in 1996 to Toronto for Eric Fichaud.
(I can tell that neither of those picks played real NHL career)

January 29, 1996
Toronto traded Benoit Hogue and Randy Wood to Dallas for Dave Gagner and 6th round pick in 1996.

Then I would add the following:

- Byron Dafoe and Dmitri Khristich were first traded from Washington to Los Angeles and then from Los Angeles to Boston.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Seachd said:
I don't remember this, but it seems pretty funny:

June 15, 1992: WIN trades Stephane Beauregard to BUF for Christian Ruuttu and future considerations.

August 7, 1992: BUF trades Stephane Beauregard to CHI for Dominik Hasek and future considerations.

August 10, 1992: CHI trades Stephane Beauregard to WIN for Christian Ruuttu.

If I remember right, that was at least partly a way to get around exposing Beauregard (and possibly Ruuttu) to the Tampa/Ottawa expansion draft. The Sabres had an unused goalie slot after dumping Clint Malarchuk, so Beauregard went there. The draft was on June 19, so the timing makes sense, and then the following deals put Beauregard back where he started and made the only real trade Hasek for Ruuttu and a fourth-rounder (what the futures eventually became.)

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Phil said:
Weren't Shawn MacEachern and Marty McSorley traded for each other twice in the same season? Pittsburgh and LA, if I remember correctly.

One of many ugly deals under the tail end of the Bruce McNall era. The Blues signed McSorley (and Blake IIRC) to offer sheets. Kings matched and dealt McSorley to the Penguins for McEachern.

Later that season, the Kings saw how much they missed McSorley, so they traded McEachern and Tomas Sandstrom back for McSorley and Jim Paek. Apparently Sandstrom was threatening to play in Europe the following season, but ended up sticking around for a few more decent years in the NHL.

Ugly net gain for the Kings, although McSorley did help land Mattias Norstrom a few years later.

JSmith81x

Your weapon is guilt
Dec 20, 2002
Visit site
Lard_Lad said:
The draft was on June 19, so the timing makes sense, and then the following deals put Beauregard back where he started and made the only real trade Hasek for Ruuttu and a fourth-rounder (what the futures eventually became.)
And that 4th round pick turned out to be Eric Daze.

Brodeur said:
Later that season, the Kings saw how much they missed McSorley ...
I thought it was because Gretzky asked for McSorley back, even though McNall didn't really want to re-acquire him?

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
acr said:
This may be off topic, as it happened in baseball, but in 1992 the Expos traded Archie Corbin to Milwaukee for a player to be named later, and three months later, the Brewers sent him back to Montreal as the player to be named later...lol
Even better....

On April 25 1962, the Indians traded Harry Chiti to the Mets for a player to be named later. On June 15 1962 the Mets returned Chiti to the Indians, as the player named later.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
How about the Flyers get Chris Gratton for 4 1st round picks as a signed RFA and then the Flyers traded Mikael Renberg and Karl Dykhuis for those 4 first round picks. Later Chris Gratton was traded with Mike Sillinger for Daymond Langkow (which later fetched a 1st and 2nd round pick) and Mikael Renberg.

Then the Flyers sent Petr Svoboda for Karl Dykhuis.

(lone)Yashinfan#79

this one isn't quite as head scratchingly peculiar as most of the aforementioned, but Tomas Sandstrom originally went to LA along with Tony Granato and NYR received Bernie Nicholls in return at the all-star break ('91? 90?)... at the time it seemed almost fair, Nicholls did have a 70 goal season, but that was back when everybody scored 50 goals, eh?

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Phil Laugher said:

Similar trades happened with Passmore:
01-May-00: Chicago Blackhawks traded Steve Passmore to the Los Angeles Kings for a 4th round selection (Olli Malmivaara) in 2000.
28-Feb-01: Los Angeles Kings traded Steve Passmore to the Chicago Blackhawks for an 8th round selection (Mike Gabinet) in 2001.

Tume

Dec 23, 2003
Finland
theBob said:
Similar trades happened with Passmore:
01-May-00: Chicago Blackhawks traded Steve Passmore to the Los Angeles Kings for a 4th round selection (Olli Malmivaara) in 2000.
28-Feb-01: Los Angeles Kings traded Steve Passmore to the Chicago Blackhawks for an 8th round selection (Mike Gabinet) in 2001.

One funny coincidence: both those late rounders (Malmivaara&Gabinet) play nowadays in SaiPa. They have even played in same D pairing for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad