Does anyone here who plays...

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
No...but there's a ref that I reallllly dislike who is known to go outside between games to puff on his pipe, lol

Actually come to think of it...had a teammate that did. He seemed fine..one of our better guys and nvr wanted to get off the ice either

Last edited:

RangersMoogle

Oct 25, 2005
Ohio
www.tehinter.net
Oh good God. My first hockey mentor smoked NON STOP. Jesus Christ, but he reffed skated and played for a total of about four hours a day, so I guess it kind of balanced itself out. He didn't get winded easy or anything like that, but I'm sure his lungs don't look peachy.

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
i'm mainly asking cause i smoke and in the winter im playing again...and i was wondering if anyone here smokes and still plays?..its obviously not a good choice..but i was curious to see if people out there do it

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
yeah a lot of guys do. They are all under 25. Can't say I know anyone over say 27 that does and still plays. I guess thats the window of wise up.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Comparing an NHLer to an Average Joe isn't too good to do. I think for most people, smoking will effect your overall endurance. Maybe to someone who's a world class athelete it won't that much, but to most of us it would.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Comparing an NHLer to an Average Joe isn't too good to do. I think for most people, smoking will effect your overall endurance. Maybe to someone who's a world class athelete it won't that much, but to most of us it would.

I doubt that. I know/have known too many people that smoked and were still good athletes. Endurance has more to do with the strength of your heart than your lungs. Long term, smoking will kill you though, no doubt.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
I doubt that. I know/have known too many people that smoked and were still good athletes. Endurance has more to do with the strength of your heart than your lungs. Long term, smoking will kill you though, no doubt.

Smoking clogs the lungs and restricts air flow and intake. Less air in, less oxygen delivered to the bloodstream. Which means your heart will have to work harder to deliver the required oxygen to your muscles.

How many long distant runners smoke? That is all endurance.

BeastinB's - If you are worried about it affecting your performance, quit.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
I smoke a pack a day and one special one everyday and I doesnt effect me at all.
Mind you I play in a mens beer league so shifts are short to say the least.
In the winter I play outdoors for 6-7 hours at a time.
Im sure I would be a little faster if I quit but I thought losing 30lbs would make me faster too and that didnt work.

kovy1335

Sep 21, 2005
eh... might hurt your mental game more than your physical one... just my opinion.

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
I smoke a pack a day and one special one everyday and I doesnt effect me at all.
Mind you I play in a mens beer league so shifts are short to say the least.
In the winter I play outdoors for 6-7 hours at a time.
Im sure I would be a little faster if I quit but I thought losing 30lbs would make me faster too and that didnt work.

Yeah you actually have to train for speed! :sarcasm:

Congratz on the 30 pounds thats awesome!

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
im sure certain athletes make up for their cigs in other ways depending on their coordination, genetics, natural growth vs. contrived growth, etc...

if you think youre good enough of an athlete where you think it wont effect your performance, go for it.

probably help save you some money for rip off hockey equipment (ice fees, sticks, skate sharpening, etc) by quitting though.

Raoul Duke*

I'm 26 and still do. It doesn't bother me much, unless I was drinking and smoking like a demon the night before - but then it's a combo of hangover and smoking that slows me down.

But usually I'm fine, I can still go out there and play. I know long term it'll get to me, by the time I'm 31, 35, 40 or something.

I'm not saying to keep doing it, because that'd be stupid. I do think that it's overly thought of as real damaging if you smoke and try to play sports. I keep up just as well stamina wise with anyone, whether its hockey, baseball, paintball.

Just saying I'm sure it doesn't help. I'll quit soon enough, and have been skating more, rollerblading more in the summers to just keep it up.

And not to say "this NHLer did it" - but the first person I ever saw in my life chain smoke when I was a kid was Maurice Richard. He also drank a lot of beer, sure he was retired at the time - but I highly doubt these were habits he picked up after playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->