Does anyone have the Rebok 5K skates?

knight44

Jul 31, 2005
Toronto
Dude, i had them for a half season. I didnt like them, so i got the new Nike Supreme one90, but meh you might like them

Reiher

May 30, 2004
Vancouver
well considering i almost broke the bank with the 5k's, and i'm upgrading from bauer supreme 1000's, I don't think I'll be complaining, but what didn't you like about the 5k's?

knight44

Jul 31, 2005
Toronto
To me they werent that comfortable, and this might sound weird but i couldnt get great grip on the ice even after it was sharpend. I would go fast but at times the blade would slip so i was like screw it after 10 games of using it.

Reiher

May 30, 2004
Vancouver
yeah that would piss me off, I'm gonna try them out for the first time tommorrow, if they slip on me like my 1000's have been doing recently, I'm gonna be pissed. But I mean i found them quite comfortable when I had them on in the store, I was also looking at some Synergy 700's, but I found that the 700's had too much room in the back of my foot and reminded me a bit of my bauers, although I'm not sure if in the long run i'd prefer that or not. I talked to the guy I bought them off of, and if I really don't like them, I can come back and trade them in. So if they slip like you're telling me, I'll be going back and paying them a little visit.

knight44

Jul 31, 2005
Toronto
If they slip, if i were you i would just go get new skates. I got the one90 and they are amazing no problems what so ever,and they are comfortable as hell sometimes its like ur not wearing any skates then u look down and are like damn these skates rule.

Hey never go by how skates feal in the store, i have bad experiences with skates that felt good in the store. Id get on the ice after the 1st period my feet would be killing me, its all about how your feet feal in them during the starting and stopping on the ice. I like to buy skates then go to the arena where i work and test them out for about 1 hour after we close. Id do alot sprints and hard stopping to test them out, if my feet feal good in them id try them out for a couple games. And if they pass the game tests then id keep them for a season or 2. The weird thing is that the 5k skates past the 1st test with flying colors, they didnt slip at all then when i got into the game action i was like damn these suck ***.

Last edited:

Reiher

May 30, 2004
Vancouver
haha, sweet, I kinda feel like that with these but I can't say I haven't tried them out. But just at the store I was just appauled at how comfortable they were in comparison to my 1000's. But thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind.

After a year of watching junior players get RBKs for free here's some observations -- many players switched to other models of skates, half to other RBKs or to CCMs, half to completely different skates. Most players complained about durability, saying only Bauer Vapors have broken down as fast on them, and second off, high ankle support is slim to none, so if you have weak ankles, good luck.

The pumps are (supposed) to have better support.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Was thinkin' the same /\ Though some people have them cause they are product testers or have special connections. They arn't officially out till May or June I think

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
I know a lot of high level players who LOVE the 8Ks, but I don't know anybody who skates in the 5k. If I see one tomorrow I will ask.

As far as your heel slipping. If it's slipping too much in a new skate you might have the wrong size.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
sc37 said:
Was thinkin' the same /\ Though some people have them cause they are product testers or have special connections. They arn't officially out till May or June I think

Yeah, we're the biggest Nike/Bauer dist. in NYC metro area and we aren't getting them till the end of the month, at least.

knight44

Jul 31, 2005
Toronto
knight44 said:
If they slip, if i were you i would just go get new skates. I got the one90 and they are amazing no problems what so ever,and they are comfortable as hell sometimes its like ur not wearing any skates then u look down and are like damn these skates rule.

Hey never go by how skates feal in the store, i have bad experiences with skates that felt good in the store. Id get on the ice after the 1st period my feet would be killing me, its all about how your feet feal in them during the starting and stopping on the ice. I like to buy skates then go to the arena where i work and test them out for about 1 hour after we close. Id do alot sprints and hard stopping to test them out, if my feet feal good in them id try them out for a couple games. And if they pass the game tests then id keep them for a season or 2. The weird thing is that the 5k skates past the 1st test with flying colors, they didnt slip at all then when i got into the game action i was like damn these suck ***.

If you would read that you see that i test skates out, mostly for myself. But i do test skates out once a new skate is released or about to be released. So with the one90, i tested it and i some how was allowed to keep them. But hey i never said believe me, so if you dont then you dont its your life.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Nor do I get my kicks by calling out potential-liars on the internet.

Reiher

May 30, 2004
Vancouver
as for slipping in the hell and weak ankles, i don't have that problem, but some idiot ran into me while i was skating and this was in the first 15min of my shift at work, i feel on my left side and later that night i couldn't move my knee very well, but for the time i had them on they were great, though maybe i'm still getting a lil used to them, i found turning too tight i'd still slip, though, i feel like i've got a much nicer pair of skates then my bauer 1000's and they sure are comfy, and the pump does infact help with the heel support in my oppinion

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
knight44 said:
If you would read that you see that i test skates out, mostly for myself. But i do test skates out once a new skate is released or about to be released. So with the one90, i tested it and i some how was allowed to keep them. But hey i never said believe me, so if you dont then you dont its your life.

So are the one90's worth it. I mean $800 is quite a price to pay for a pair of skates.

What skate do the one90's compare to? Are they like the Bauer Supreme's but lighter? I'm currently wearing Bauer 7000's.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
Reiher said:
as for slipping in the hell and weak ankles, i don't have that problem, but some idiot ran into me while i was skating and this was in the first 15min of my shift at work, i feel on my left side and later that night i couldn't move my knee very well, but for the time i had them on they were great, though maybe i'm still getting a lil used to them, i found turning too tight i'd still slip, though, i feel like i've got a much nicer pair of skates then my bauer 1000's and they sure are comfy, and the pump does infact help with the heel support in my oppinion

If you are slipping on tight turns chances are it's a problem with the holder. If the holder or tuuk is to wide at the bottom it will actually touch the ice when turning and cause you to slip.

Reiher

May 30, 2004
Vancouver
yeah, my 1000's where in need of new blades, but i just said screw it and bought new skates, but i haven't been out on the ice for a week now, and probably won't be back on the ice till next friday if the rinks are open...so we'll see then, but yeah i know what you mean about the holder hitting the ice

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
knight44 said:
Dude, i had them for a half season. I didnt like them, so i got the new Nike Supreme one90, but meh you might like them
yo did you're one 90's have a Lightspeed 2 or Lightspeed 3 holder? and what did the holder look like, if it looked different than Tuuk's previous holders?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad